English Super League Toronto Wolfpack

Remove this Banner Ad

With 2 more games in their English games to go before they get their home games they are currently on top of the Championship and have beaten some good sides, but fell heavily to the Broncos.

I watched one of their games on youtube and they play more like an aussie side than an English one which is probably why they are so much better than the poms.
In 2017 the Wolfpack ended the season in League 1 with 15 wins and 0 losses, in the super 8's part they went on to win 5 more games and receive their first loss as well as a draw to go 20 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss, not a bad season for your first and travelling from Toronto to England.
In a league where most clubs averaged around 800 spectators a game, Toronto averaged almost 8,000 people per game. What a remarkable effort for them.
Coached by Paul Rowley who himself played a handful of Tests for England has done pretty well after leaving Leigh.
Some players you've heard of before that play for Toronto.
Quentin Laulu-Togaga'e or QLT as he is better known started at Souths Logan in the QCup and has scored 22 tries in 30 games.
Ashton Sims signed on for the 2018 season and has played 6 games so far.
Josh McCrone of Raiders and Dragons fame and is their 2018 captain.
Blake Wallace from Wollongong and played for the Capras in the QCup has played 23 games with 21 tries.
Reni Maitua Fuimaono signed on for the 2018 season.
Chase Stanley who has played over 100 NRL games signed on for 2018

I hope they can get into Super League along with Catalans and Toulouse and maybe this could open the doors for a side from New York or Boston?

Catalans are heading in the opposite direction at the moment!

Yeah, it's not real good for France Rugby League and I believe that this is also the National Federation and competition as they seem to have no contingencies to gain support in Northern France for the game. IIRC there is no professional side above Lyon.

For Super League to maintain itself it needs at least one team from France and to a lesser extent from either Wales or Scotland in the top league and then another in the second division. I would be exploring an
Irish, Scottish, and possibly Italian, Spanish (Catalans is a big league area), Serbian or Russian sides to join with a view to being in the Super League.

Yeah, it's not real good for France Rugby League and I believe that this is also the National Federation and competition as they seem to have no contingencies to gain support in Northern France for the game. IIRC there is no professional side above Lyon.

Sums up both Rugby codes in France, very little professional wise North of Lyon. Its basically the two Paris Union team Racing and Stade.

For Super League to maintain itself it needs at least one team from France and to a lesser extent from either Wales or Scotland in the top league and then another in the second division. I would be exploring an Irish, Scottish, and possibly Italian, Spanish (Catalans is a big league area), Serbian or Russian sides to join with a view to being in the Super League.

In Spain Union is larger than league (and even the Catalan area of France and Spain is more Union than League going by the professional club alone). Putting in more club would be a good idea, but the money and the players need to be there first to support such clubs

Is this going to be rugby league's Gretna FC?

League is only going to get bigger in North America due to its simplicity and ease of transition for many people bought up on Grid Iron.

Played pretty good really except for those two mistakes early on.
Run some great lines and defended like a champion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

League is only going to get bigger in North America due to its simplicity and ease of transition for many people bought up on Grid Iron.

Given public interest in "North America" is close to 0 anything is going to be growth. There's already the NFL, college football, CFL and a list of non-gridiron people watch. The Wolfpack may shine bright but the consortium will probably at some time tire of plowing in money and not making any.

Last edited:
Given public interest in "North America" is close to 0 anything is going to be growth. There's already the NFL, college football, CFL and a list of non-gridiron people watch. The Wolfpack may shine bright but the consortium will probably at some time tire of plowing in money and not making any.

You know why Argyle is pumping money into it?

He’s a smart businessman who knows where the money is. Ok it might be leaking a little for now but they have already grown the game there with a rise of 25% for kids aged between 8 and 12 never played the game previously. Sponsors are throwing themselves at the club and big name like SBW will only make that grow.

Also Ottawa Stags (Hemel Stags) and NYCRL will apparently join League 1 in 2021.

I can see that rugby league iis a sport that would appeal to the Canadian public, much more so than the Americans, but long-term, I can't see a Canadian team in SL being an effective option. But if it can kick-start something at grassroots level, then great.

Challenge Cup win should give them a bit of confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back