Toast Tory Dickson is retiring

I loved watching him kick goals, chase hard (remember him running McKenna down vs Dons?) , but my favourite memory
is that he had the ball in hand at the end of the PF.

...and we had 30 seconds to savour the win before the siren went :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Got a love bite for his troubles :grimacing:

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
DDDDDIIIIIIICCCCCCKKKKKKOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
That has been our call each time you wore the red, white and blue for the dogs. The blokes at Aisle 22.5 will always remember you. You were our hero and we cherished your football prowess. We even had a banner, which was filmed in the GF on Channel 7. DDDDDDIIIIIICCCCCCKKKKKKOOOOOO YOU LEGEND, YOU STAR, YOU WINNER, YOU TRUE RED, WHITE AND BLUE. YOU ARE NOW PART OF BULLDOG TRIUMPHANT HISTORY!!!! THANKS FOR MAKING US HAPPY, THANKS FOR BEING DEAD EYE DDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Genuinely sad to see him go.

Those seasons from 2014 to 2016 where he really hit his straps were great to watch. I remember being there the day against Freo when he kicked 7 (we still lost I think!).

We would not have won the flag without this guy, and there is no greater compliment you can give a player.

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
Plucked from nowhere, now will be remembered forever. What a great pickup and an essential cog in our 2016 team

Genuinely sad to see him go.

Those seasons from 2014 to 2016 where he really hit his straps were great to watch. I remember being there the day against Freo when he kicked 7 (we still lost I think!).

We would not have won the flag without this guy, and there is no greater compliment you can give a player.
And to think there were “some” who said we would never win a flag with him in the team! 🤣

Guido

Premium Gold
Aug 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leros United
To me he's one of those guys who, the tougher the game, the more he stood up, which is exactly why he performed so well in finals.

Stepped in and right away was probably our most trustworthy forward under McCartney (in what was a completely dysfunctional setup).

Another trait was his consistency - it always took him a few games to get going in a season, but once he did, you could bank on him to deliver - the last dozen games of both 2015 & 2016 he kicked at least a goal in every game, fitting that one of his most impactful streaks of 4 games of his career were that finals series.

On a tangent, have said this since, for many years, watching Podsiadly literally put 3-4 times the score on the board compared to similarly aged players on our list at the time, only to see him become a premiership key forward elsewhere - I don't think as a club we give enough shots to the mature guys at the next level down.

For the amount they cost (typically third, fourth, five rounders/ rookie picks + base salary) the risks are low, the results potentially amazing. IMO a 1 in 3 strike rate with those types at the draft table is much better than trying to get the equivalent of a 24 year old Dicko/ Morris/ Luke Ryan/ Riccardi/ Tom Stewart/ Puopolo/ Rampe/ Mihocek/Ben Brown in a trade - the chances of them agreeing to move is probably 10%, the cost in trade assets and salary usually well over the odds.

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
Bloody accurate in front of goals, wouldn't have minded him at the tigers. Happy he got a flag. Hope all goes well for him and his family post-footy.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It is really, really sad to say goodbye to the 2016 premiership heroes.
One by one they leave and 2016 is consigned to the history books.
The only way to end this sad feeling when they depart is to win another one.

8 retired, many prematurely due to injury/illness. 4 at other clubs. Our premiership captain might be next to go. 😭

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Congratulations to Dickson on an outstanding career, and thanks to him for everything he did for the club.

It's funny, I feel like Dickson already gets a great deal of credit from both Dogs and opposition fans, but at the same time I genuinely believe his overall influence and value gets undersold. Most people will speak to his accuracy in front of goal, or his forward craft, or his defensive pressure inside forward 50, as the hallmarks of him as a footballer. This is fair, but at the same time it somewhat undervalues him overall.

In remembering Tory, I emphasise that he was more than a very good forward. I find that a lot of people have forgotten or never really realised that he was often our starting wingman in our best sides. Not only did he kick a lot of goals, but he often did so starting on the wing, defending the opposition wingman and applying significant pressure around the ball, and then exploiting his opponent forward when the opportunity arose. Of course, he didn't play a true wing role, but he had to defend those who did - and often did an extremely good job of it.

His value to our side far outweighed the goals he kicked or the forward 50 tackles he laid. He wasn't simply upfield because of a lack of alternatives - it was because he was extremely good at it. He carved out this role because he often used his high IQ to force mismatches and present a target in all parts of the ground; to work extremely hard up and back to reliably form part of our constrictive zone and then present as our most reliable threat up forward; to drag an important opponent away from critical parts of the ground; and to form an important part of our structure around the ball. He was a very good player, and a vital cog for us.

He was a critical part of our resurgence and, obviously with his incredible finals performances, our premiership - and for that I will always be thankful. He'll always be a true Bulldogs great and I wish him the best of luck with whatever the future holds.

Congratulations to Dickson on an outstanding career, and thanks to him for everything he did for the club.

It's funny, I feel like Dickson already gets a great deal of credit from both Dogs and opposition fans, but at the same time I genuinely believe his overall influence and value gets undersold. Most people will speak to his accuracy in front of goal, or his forward craft, or his defensive pressure inside forward 50, as the hallmarks of him as a footballer. This is fair, but at the same time it somewhat undervalues him overall.

In remembering Tory, I emphasise that he was more than a very good forward. I find that a lot of people have forgotten or never really realised that he was often our starting wingman in our best sides. Not only did he kick a lot of goals, but he often did so starting on the wing, defending the opposition wingman and applying significant pressure around the ball, and then exploiting his opponent forward when the opportunity arose. Of course, he didn't play a true wing role, but he had to defend those who did - and often did an extremely good job of it.

His value to our side far outweighed the goals he kicked or the forward 50 tackles he laid. He wasn't simply upfield because of a lack of alternatives - it was because he was extremely good at it. He carved out this role because he often used his high IQ to force mismatches and present a target in all parts of the ground; to work extremely hard up and back to reliably form part of our constrictive zone and then present as our most reliable threat up forward; to drag an important opponent away from critical parts of the ground; and to form an important part of our structure around the ball. He was a very good player, and a vital cog for us.

He was a critical part of our resurgence and, obviously with his incredible finals performances, our premiership - and for that I will always be thankful. He'll always be a true Bulldogs great and I wish him the best of luck with whatever the future holds.
Is that Bevo's farewell speech to Tory at the team meeting? :D

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If only there was one of these for Tory in 2016...

Kicks lots from 45 degrees or greater angle too, in the 45-50m range, so even last year kicking had penetration.

If only there was one of these for Tory in 2016...

Kicks lots from 45 degrees or greater angle too, in the 45-50m range, so even last year kicking had penetration.

I wonder if sackofballs could compile Tory's 2016 finals goals? Please?

Back