PC Total War: Three Kingdoms

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
With Warhammer and their Thrones of Britannia spin-off, I was a little worried that Creative Assembly might be done with the historical Total War stuff. Thankfully that isn’t the case.

Three Kingdoms is set 2000 years ago in China, right at the death knell of the Han Dynasty. Set to release this spring.

Personally I’m a bigger fan of the European settings (so I can carry out my imperial Teutonic fantasies of conquest) but it has been so long that I will take any genuine TW at this stage.

www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/total-war-three-kingdoms-is-the-franchises-new-his/1100-6456006/

Oh hell yeah, was hoping they'd get around to doing this one. The only worry is, like Shogun, the unit rosters will all be pretty samey.

But then again, Shogun was the best game of the franchise.

Can see it probably being a bit like Total Warhammer (with hero units) though without the magic parts. They would most likely just be legendary warriors who inspire other units/cause fear etc.

I'll definitely get this being a Total War nerd but think I'm more keen on Thrones of Britannia personally (as I can see some Game of Thrones/Witcher lore inspired mods spawning).

Out today, anyone jumping in day one? Currently at 83 on metacritic from over 40 reviews. IGN have given it a 9.3 (I'll have to wait until I get home to watch the review) but some comments are complaining about cut content. Sounds like what happened to Imperator Rome.

I love TW games but usually need to allocate a few weeks to get right into them and understand what I'm doing so I might hold off a little bit.

Are the warhammer versions any good?

I actually avoided the Warhammer ones as it's a universe I never got into, I stick to the historical ones from Shogun, through Rome and Napoleon etc. The first TW Rome is still my favourite. I'm not huge on the idea of hero units like in this one and the Warhammer TW games but this looks really cool.

So picked it up today, found it cheaper than steam price on whirlpool forum.
Put in a few too many hours, finding it very fun so far. The generals superiority can be turned off apparently , havent looked for it yet, will go through 1 play through with it first. But they are a bit of a cheat code if used well.

Purchased this yesterday.

Will sink a lot of hours into it over the next week and report back once I get the feel for it.

I almost wept with joy when I played the first few turns of a campaign last night and saw the end turn load times were lightning quick compared to TW: warhammer 2 which is what I've been playing leading up to this.

Are the warhammer versions any good?

I've spent over 700 hours on TWW2 alone (200 on the first), I can say I definitely got value for money out of it. If you play a mortal empires campaign which is both TWW and TWW2 maps and races combined (the more fun way to play) a second monitor or a television set up in the same room is a must because end turn load times take something like 60-90 seconds even on a decent rig due to the huge world and number of factions.

I don't even care for the lore for the most part its just fun doing out there s**t like making 20 stack carnosaur armies with the Lizardmen and steamrolling the AI or doing the same with Skaven weapons teams while watching enemies crumble before they can even engage. You can also mod the s**t out of it which opens up whole new experiences once your done with vanilla.

The load times and Chaos invasions do get tedious after a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back