Tottenham Hotspur - my vent thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
Sorry to burden you guys with this but I have to get it off my chest.

Now we all know that the Premier League has no soul and that player transfers are the norm. With free agency and big dollars there is no loyalty left in the world game. However, I have to vent my spleen at my beloved club, Tottenham Hotspur selling off our captain and spritual leader Robbie Keane. Seven years he gave my club in an era where anybody staying at their club longer than a couple of years is automatically afforded legend status. Seven years and they offload him. Seven years of Keane knocking back bigger offers to play elsewhere and now Spurs move him on. I have just recovered from the sale of Dimitar Berbatov and now this??????

Well that's it. I've had enough. I'm done. I will no longer watch the British game and so my summer months will be devoid of any and all football.

The EPL certainly shows us the way we dont want the AFL to head.

Not a big follower of the EPL but your reasons are similiar to mine for not watching or taking any interest in the NBA. I used to love watching the old Celtics (go team) vs Lakers and later Bulls v Pacers battles. Not anymore.

Too much bling and the mighty $$ of moving players to teams has ruined the passion for me.

Shaddup.;)

(I have heard that he has been sold though)

As a fellow Spurs fan, you freaked me out when you said that Berbatov had been sold. I fear though that with Keane gone, Berbatov will want to leave even more.

Hopefully you won't be offended by a Geelong fan joining this discussion, but as a Spurs fan I would like to add to your (impressive) rant:

On the Keane sale, this is seriously disheartening. One of my great sporting pleasures is going to the Lane and watching the human energizer bunny that is Keano running around like a madman. I honestly thought that given the amount of times he could have left, that he would stay. Apparently not.

He could have stayed, made an absolute shed-load of money along the way, and retired as an absolute legend of the club. Now he will go down as just another good player who left to play for a so-called "big club" (Liverpool's status as a big club these days is questionable if you ask me).

But do you know what is the worst part of the whole deal? Keane trying to sell the reason for his move as being that "I was a Liverpool fan as a kid, and I have always wanted to play for them". What an absolute crock. If he had said that he wanted to play Champions League this year, or that it was all about the money, then I would have respected him a lot more than giving this bull&*%t reason that he felt some attachment to a club that he followed as a kid. As Judge Judy would say - "Don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining". He has played for Coventry, Wolves, Inter Milan and Leeds (as well as Spurs) and now he says he is still a Liverpool fan? What an absolute disgrace. Does this mean that every time he played Liverpool he went easy on them because he is a Reds fan?

I can accept players leaving clubs, as sport in general (and EPL in particular) is big business but this one leaves a seriously bad taste in my mouth.

Keane was my absolute favourite Spurs player, because he always seemed like a guy he gave his all at all times. Now this is is questionable. He is either a liar, or deep down his heart was never in it at Spurs. Either way, his legacy at Spurs has been forever tainted and I hope he enjoys his time at Liverpool as much as Harry Kewell did.

Sorry to burden you guys with this but I have to get it off my chest.

Now we all know that the Premier League has no soul and that player transfers are the norm. With free agency and big dollars there is no loyalty left in the world game. However, I have to vent my spleen at my beloved club, Tottenham Hotspur selling off our captain and spritual leader Robbie Keane. Seven years he gave my club in an era where anybody staying at their club longer than a couple of years is automatically afforded legend status. Seven years and they offload him. Seven years of Keane knocking back bigger offers to play elsewhere and now Spurs move him on. I have just recovered from the sale of Dimitar Berbatov and now this??????

Well that's it. I've had enough. I'm done. I will no longer watch the British game and so my summer months will be devoid of any and all football.

Come on, I'm as upset as the next Spurs fan about Keano moving on, but let's get some facts straight.

Keano has been plotting this move all summer, to his boyhood club, and once him and Benitez had decided it was looking like going through, he submitted a transfer request to move to Liverpool.

We certainly haven't offloaded him. If he wants to play elsewhere, why keep someone who doesn't want to be there?

And good on him - he deserves the chance to play Champions League anyway. We should be thankful for the time we got from him. And for 20 mil, its great business.

And good on him - he deserves the chance to play Champions League anyway. We should be thankful for the time we got from him.

Be thankful for what? The fact that he was plotting to leave a club that he supposedly loved, to join a club that he now says he has always barracked for? Even whilst taking a bucketload of money from other clubs along the way?

Apart from the the £20.3m (which under the circumstances is a pretty good deal, I have a feeling Liverpool paid overs a little bit in exchange for Spurs not pursuing their handling of this matter any further) we have nothing to be thankful for. Nothing.

Be thankful for what? The fact that he was plotting to leave a club that he supposedly loved, to join a club that he now says he has always barracked for? Even whilst taking a bucketload of money from other clubs along the way?

Apart from the the £20.3m (which under the circumstances is a pretty good deal, I have a feeling Liverpool paid overs a little bit in exchange for Spurs not pursuing their handling of this matter any further) we have nothing to be thankful for. Nothing.

I appreciate the whole (dis)honesty about it all, and that annoys me too.

But at the end of the day, you have to to look at what we are as a club. And what are we? A 5th - 12th type of side. We'll struggle to ever break into the top 4, and if we do, then it won't be on a regular basis.

Keano gave us six great years (his best years), and I'm far, far happier that we had him for those years than if we didn't.

And at 20mil for a 28yo, its great.

Bring on David Villa.

Well let's just hope that it's a good competition this year, can teams outside the Big 4 come in and shake up the table? I recon they can. I still think its the best league to watch for the neutral.

Melbourne Victory play their first Home game of season 4 Friday 29th of August at Telstra Dome! (Hawks play the blues there the day after)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for Keano. He'll look great in the number 7.

andrewyatesafp2460276.jpg

Honestly, this one of the best points in this entire thread.

Even being an Arsenal Supporter, I loved Robbie Keane. He gave everything he had whenever he took to the pitch.

But 20M for Keano is an awesome result for Spurs. When you consider that Henry left Arsenal for 16M, Spurs are the winner in this deal.

Honestly, this one of the best points in this entire thread.

Even being an Arsenal Supporter, I loved Robbie Keane. He gave everything he had whenever he took to the pitch.

But 20M for Keano is an awesome result for Spurs. When you consider that Henry left Arsenal for 16M, Spurs are the winner in this deal.

The problem is Keef, that last season we paid 16.5mil for Darren Bent (not long after Torres went to Liverpool for about 20mil).

So, in effect, we've pocketed about 3mil and swapped Keane for Bent !!!!

Any money we "made" on Keano is just repaying what we wasted last season...

The David Bentley deal has been done, which is good business I reckon.

Going to be interesting to see how Ramos lines the team up. Get the feeling, assuming no Berbatov, that its going to be Bent up front (another hattrick overnight), with heavy support from the wings through Lennon / Bentley / dos Santos ?

The David Bentley deal has been done, which is good business I reckon.

Going to be interesting to see how Ramos lines the team up. Get the feeling, assuming no Berbatov, that its going to be Bent up front (another hattrick overnight), with heavy support from the wings through Lennon / Bentley / dos Santos ?

Or perhaps we can pay over the odds for another overrated and useless African now that we are flush with funds.:(

Hey, we have 20 mil from the Keane Transfer, look at the plus. He will not get as much game time at Liverpool, and he is missing out on something special over 08/09. Spurs did not push him out, he wanted to leave to a bigger club. Someone who states after the Carling Cup win that his future is at WHL but then changes his mind... I do not want him on my team. With Ramos bringing in Bentley, Dos Santos, Modric et al, we are set attackingly and throughout the wings with Lennon.

Gomes is a massive upgrade on the un-confident Robinson. Now, if Berbatov goes we are going to have upwards of 45-50 million pounds... We can go with a quality striker to partner Bent.

Its not all doom and gloom at White Hart Lane, but gee if Keane scores against us I will not be happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back