• Gil

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Kulusevski

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Kane

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Spurs have a cheque book manager, if you are going to go down that route you have to be all in or it's going to implode.
Yeah would have thought when we went the conte route we'd go hard every window. Whilst we haven't done nothing. We have been a bit half hearted. And now conte is making bizarre press conferences in January when his contract expires in 6 months. It's a back me hard and re sign or sack me month and Conte has all the cards

I want us to win points and football games. Gero is a shareholder interested in the dividends we make
I expect Gero to dislike this comment.

I think Spurs will be fine. 21 games left in the Prem this season. You're only 6 (9) points off City in 2nd.

Why can't you guys just get along? I mean, you're in this together.
Let's be fair now. Certainly seen a few gooners over the last couple years go hard at Tomnat or Northalives.
We're just polar opposites and there are a couple of logical inconsistencies that make reasoned debate impossible.

The consistent refusal to see that money was and still is the issue, we have a lot comparative to clubs in France and Spain. But are dwarfed still by those we are measured against, and unless rectified by continuing to find and grow revenue streams at a faster rate will eventually risk falling back to the Everton and West Ham pack. Already the most vulnerable to the impending rise of Newcastle.

And if that vibe has people wondering is that really true 59/69 domestic trophies since 2000 have been won by the 5 English clubs wealthier than us. They collectively hoover them up and leave the scraps for the rest of the pyramid.

Being 12th richest in the world means squat when you're 6th dog at the bowl.
It means squat when just to win a puny little FA/EFL cup (as our old friend Wealstone came to realise - only to be a depressing revelation) usually meant having to go through these 5 clubs. At which point the odds eventually end up stacked against us and fall short because they bat deeper in depth, and overall talent.

Since Pochettino we have fallen short in cup SF/F 5 times. Three times to Chelsea and once each to both Manchester clubs. Would wager strongly we weren't favourites in any of these matches either.

I cannot take the OP seriously whilst simultaneously refusing (for years) to see that money is the issue, and also pining for us to scout better as the silver bullet solution - which on the surface is fair enough - but the context is usually followed up by citing clubs like Southampton, Brighton and Palace as clubs that scout well that we should be looking to emulate.

Grab the good players before the richer clubs can get them... But those three club scouting systems can't/hasn't found them players that get them into the top 6. While the underwhelming players we're probably needing to upgrade have with monotonous regularity achieved that bar, thus making the poll invalid. The better poll question would be, who would be in the starting XI in a title race.

That list would be shorter, and at that point to get there would require we buy like a big club. Buy clear and obvious high end talent... Which brings us back to money and the need for more of it. Transfer fees are always only part of it, agents fees and wages can sometimes be more expensive than the transfer.

I expect Gero to dislike this comment.
Why bother. Just a bald faced lie.
I only yesterday criticised the board and owner. For something they are objectively poor at, and are by anyone's measure responsible for.

The piss poor state of a once proud academy. Been 10 years since Kane broke through and barring some great glimpses against Modric - Casemiro - Kroos from Winks (twice MOTM imv) the academy has produced diddily squat. And that doesn't look like changing. Getting some squad players for free from within only helps the transfer money issue as well. Less spots to buy for means an increase in quality you can chase after. Not always a Levy special from the bargain bin.

P.S. I became ENIC out during the Super League fiasco.
I think Spurs will be fine. 21 games left in the Prem this season. You're only 6 (9) points off City in 2nd.
Only 1 point off where we were this time last season. On the surface not too bad given the transition we're going through.

But as Chef eluded to. Crossroads atm. Chequebook manager needs relentless backing and this month and June-Aug will determine if we're willing to not just dip the toes in but really go for it, or are starting another project with a new manager again. At which point more to criticise Levy for. The only evidence so far has pointed to commitment from the club, they even contributed their own funds, much to my chagrin.

The optics atm just look bad. Turgid football because Conte is stubbornly trying to prove the point he needs upgrades. Main rivals contending after years in the abyss and 7 points from the last 21 with hard games to come soon.

Tbf, one of the scraps was Leicester City winning the league title.
To which no one can rationally hold that up as a massive failing on our part.
We were year 2 into a project with a manager who got us 5th (on the last day as Liverpool were trounced in Gerrard's last match) the season prior.

Not predicted for top 4. Distant 100/1 for the title.

That a team 5000/1 won it does nothing to diminish the overall point being made. Much easier to capitalise on a fluke occurrence in a cup than over a 38 game season. The bigger failure that season was Arsenal's.

The only club to get ahead of Leicester once the foxes had hit top spot (matchday 19-22), were only a couple points behind from matchday 14-18;23. We only hit 2nd on matchday 25 and the closest we got was -2 for 2 matchdays and spent most of MD25-36 around 5-7 points adrift. Ultimately securing a 6 point improvement on Pochettino's first season.

My first thought is that it doesn't seem a bad idea for me for Poch to return if Spurs part ways with Conte, but there is probably hidden baggage and legit reasons why Tottenham fired him in the first place.

Probably need to stick it out with the gaffer until the end of the season, unless things go really pear shape for Spurs.

To which no one can rationally hold that up as a massive failing on our part.
We were year 2 into a project with a manager who got us 5th (on the last day as Liverpool were trounced in Gerrard's last match) the season prior.

Not predicted for top 4. Distant 100/1 for the title.

That a team 5000/1 won it does nothing to diminish the overall point being made. Much easier to capitalise on a fluke occurrence in a cup than over a 38 game season. The bigger failure that season was Arsenal's.

The only club to get ahead of Leicester once the foxes had hit top spot (matchday 19-22), were only a couple points behind from matchday 14-18;23. We only hit 2nd on matchday 25 and the closest we got was -2 for 2 matchdays and spent most of MD25-36 around 5-7 points adrift. Ultimately securing a 6 point improvement on Pochettino's first season.

I went ahead and checked the standings that season. After MD36, you were 7 points behind Leicester but +9 GD ahead of Leicester and +14 ahead of Arsenal. Spurs scored 3 more goals than Leicester and 8 more goals than Arsenal and conceded 6 fewer goals conceded than both, after MD36.

3 points in the first 4 leagues matches and 2 points in the final 4 league matches ended up doing Spurs in. Otherwise, stat wise, you could have pushed Leicester closer to the title.

Tbf, one of the scraps was Leicester City winning the league title.
2016 miracle aside, Leicester still have more scraps or "puny little cups" than Spurs in the EPL era, despite Leicester being relegated for long periods. That's more of an indictment than one singular season.

They've backed Conte as well as they've backed anybody in their history. Their problems don't run as deep as Liverpool's right now but they can't afford to go half measures with chequebook man. People will forget their current terrible football if they win the FA cup.

Knowing them though, they'll get to the final and Levy will fire him a week before like Mourinho and Graham.

They are good team with a top manager but they have a few glaring weaknesses.

1. Biggest weakness is they have never replaced Christian Eriksen. They don't have anyone who can create from midfield or play through balls to front 3.

The only one that can do that is Harry Kane but that also means he probably dropping too deep in midfield.

Its fine for Kane to rack up the assists if Son is scoring regularly but this season he isn't and thus the team needs Kane to stay close to the box and finish chances, which at the moment aren't coming often. And hence Spurs struggle to score, despite Kane having another good season with 13 goals thus far and likely another 20 goal+ season beckons.

2. The defense needs more investment. Romero is a good buy but Eric Dier and Ben Davies shouldn't be starting players. They are squad players at best your 4th and 5th centre backs. More signings are required. Especially at right wing back as Emerson Royal has been a disaster signing.

3. The (previous?) scouting regime was so poor and spurs wasted money in the transfer market. Ndombele, Lo Celso, Reguilon, Sessegnon, Emerson Royal were all big money signing >20m each that have flopped.

Fabio Paratici is now in charge of signings and he is off to a good start with Bentacur and Kulusevski. Bissouma and Richarlison on paper were good signings but havent played much together due to injuries. Jury is still out.

4. They need a long term replacement for Hugo Lloris. They really missed an opportunity to sign Nick Pope who has been immense for Newcastle.

Looking at the poll results. Only 2 are standouts, Kane the obvious one and Son who at 30 is in some terrible form and is getting votes off reputation alone. He has contributed less than any of the top 6's starting attackers.

Kulusevski and Romero have a few of votes. There's a lot of drab squad fillers amongst the other 20 players. So when Conte speaks of needing 15 top quality men he is well short of this. He has made it clear with comments that he wants men and doesn't want expectations on the players 22 and under, so that rules out a good 5-6 of the squad. It's going to be another interesting crossroads month for the club. Feels like the longer Conte is unsigned and we don't sign experienced quality, then Conte vs Levy is bubbling and could erupt this month. Get your 🍿 ready!

My first thought is that it doesn't seem a bad idea for me for Poch to return if Spurs part ways with Conte, but there is probably hidden baggage and legit reasons why Tottenham fired him in the first place.

Probably need to stick it out with the gaffer until the end of the season, unless things go really pear shape for Spurs.
Poch will only work if we don't give him full reign on recruitment like we ended up doing. And if he commits to one of his best traits in promoting from the academy.

Speaking for myself, I'd respect a 8th place finish season 1 blooding our a lot more under 21s than a 5th place finish blocking pathways eith fodder and losing academy prospects to Germany, France and to rivals because the pathway is gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon it's a confidence thing with Son. His goal this morning might perk him up. Two quality goals by Kane. It was possibly Gil's best game. Lloris made a couple of good saves. Perisic is dependable and creative.

They've had injury issues. But Ben Davies is back now. Bentancur and Kulusevski aren't far off. Richarlison would get a game for any Premier League team but might be out until February.

Re transfers : in the short term I would be looking at back-up for Kane, and a quality creative midfielder. Neither would come cheap. How much would Toney and Maddison cost?

I reckon it's a confidence thing with Son. His goal this morning might perk him up. Two quality goals by Kane. It was possibly Gil's best game. Lloris made a couple of good saves. Perisic is dependable and creative.

They've had injury issues. But Ben Davies is back now. Bentancur and Kulusevski aren't far off. Richarlison would get a game for any Premier League team but might be out until February.

Re transfers : in the short term I would be looking at back-up for Kane, and a quality creative midfielder. Neither would come cheap. How much would Toney and Maddison cost?

Feel most Spurs supporters have wanted this for 4 years but nothing has come of it.. We constantly go for wide men who could play up front.

We thought after his Leicester hat trick it would sort itself out. Like it always does with Kane. But it didn't. Son massively outperformed his xG last year and this season is slightly behind it. Got on a hot run and we shouldn't expect 20 league goals from him.

We got richarlison as the backup for Kane and Son. Just need a backup for him because both he and Kulusevski have injury issues so regularly and Lucas too, who is leaving on a free in the summer anyway. Need an attacker that is comfortable with being a squad player who pushes for a starting spot. Ideally it would be someone 20-23 pre peak, but we've seen with Gil that Conte just won't trust/use them

We thought after his Leicester hat trick it would sort itself out. Like it always does with Kane. But it didn't. Son massively outperformed his xG last year and this season is slightly behind it. Got on a hot run and we shouldn't expect 20 league goals from him.

We got richarlison as the backup for Kane and Son. Just need a backup for him because both he and Kulusevski have injury issues so regularly and Lucas too, who is leaving on a free in the summer anyway. Need an attacker that is comfortable with being a squad player who pushes for a starting spot. Ideally it would be someone 20-23 pre peak, but we've seen with Gil that Conte just won't trust/use them
I did chuckle when Spurs replaced Mourinho with Conte (excluding Nuno) for this very reason. Peas in a pod.

I did chuckle when Spurs replaced Mourinho with Conte (excluding Nuno) for this very reason. Peas in a pod.
To be fair on the Mourinho hire. Covid crippled revenues for all clubs so he’d gone stale and moved on before there was any realistic chance of properly backing him.

Supporters trust first real time questioning the club on specific areas of concern other than the super league debacle

Not a fan of how Conte has that team set up.

Kane, Son, Kulusevski would be starting 11 at Arsenal.

Could make an argument for a few others but I think you'd just be swapping like for like between the squads.

Those three would make Arsenal instantly better.

Not a fan of how Conte has that team set up.

Kane, Son, Kulusevski would be starting 11 at Arsenal.

Could make an argument for a few others but I think you'd just be swapping like for like between the squads.

Those three would make Arsenal instantly better.
Shoei, who is that in your avatar?

Back