Jude Bolton
J Brown
Hodge
Bartel
Luke Ball
Lenny Hayes
Matthew Boyd
C Brown

Michael Wilson (ex Port) was one of the toughest I've seen.

PS If we,re talking about boxing and toughness , I don,t think many players under proper conditions could last a minute in a boxing ring if they don,t know that sport .
Boxing is not truelly understood by a lot of people, and I don,t mean the brutality of this obscene cage fighting , thats not sport. But a top line technician in the traditional boxing ring at the highest level is a superb supreme athlete with speed and courage and skill, and the toughest man would go down very quickly, for two reasons, first the toughie wouldn,t land a punch and the boxer would only need one .

You moan that boxing isn't understood (it isn't) but then label MMA (which is what I assume you meant by cage fighting) as obscene. Do you understand the sport? The rules and practices are different, but in the end boxing is infinitely more dangerous. MMA has 1 recorded death in 20 + years of existence, a guy that couldn't get a sanctioned fight due to pre-existing head injuries.

People got caught up by the shock of what MMA used to be and don't understand it. MMA Fighters are arguably even better athletes then boxers, grappling is extremely tiring, especially if you are on the losing end and trying to avoid eating punches. Even better the level of skill involved in the grappling is equivalent to that of a professional boxer, hours of mat time are required to even get OK.

To put in the context of this thread, I cannot think of an AFL player who would could make it currently as a Pro MMA Fighter. Hall's boxing wouldn't be enough, and his grappling skills would be limited to tackling practice

Spot on, Blue and Silver. Many people are quick to judge MMA because they just think it's two guys being let loose in a cage with no rules. It takes as much talent as any other form of fighting, arguably more as each fighter needs to have a solid stand-up discipline as well as the grappling side of their game. The guys who don't excel at both get found out pretty quickly.

Scott Selwood > Matt De Boer

"From Freo"

How freakin insecure are you mate? Back to the bay champ :thumbsdown:

Your statement is pretty vague too, if you're talking about ability then probably, Selwood was a high draft pick and De boer was a rookie pick afterall (although I'm not sure picking a tagger in the top 20 is the most inspired piece of recruiting). In terms of toughness I'm pretty skeptical, De boer is a genuine nutcase/kamikaze type.

Who would be in this group in 2022?

I’m nominating Brayden Maynard from Collingwood.

Francis Bourke
Paul Kelly
Kevin Murray
Robert Skilton
Kevin Neale
Michael Voss
Desmond Tuddenham

Lol some of the players mentioned in this thread shows just how soft the game has become. Most of the guys listed would of got snapped in half even 10yrs ago. Courageous yes they are, but tough you need to at least of layed out some players in your career and be feared by the opposition to be called tough. Unfortunately the 'tough guy' in the AFL no longer exists, thanks AFL!
I'm so glad this view has gone the way if the dinosaurs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta be the legendary Dees player Jack Vin…pffff hahah

Nah for real Ben Cunnington coming back from a busted nut is unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back