Toughest player at Carlton - POLL

Pound-for-pound, who is the toughest player on Carlton's list?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I voted for Simmo. Despite being one of the least physically-imposing footballers in the league, he's mighty tough.

Time and time again, I've seen him get smashed, fall to the ground and get straight back up - almost in one action.

The guy is made of elastic rubber. It's amazing.

Goes in hard with no regard for his own safety. And when he gets hit, he gets back up again. Goes in just as hard in the very next contest. Never gives up.

Tough. As. Hombre.

Weitering top 5? Really?

Out of the 20 or so options that were posted I would say he would be the last one I would pick

I dunno

did get his head kicked off, pop a shoulder and THEN manage to still rush a behind
And then returned quite early, and played the rest of the season hurt, including playing out a game with a calf strain.

Not sure what else the guy can do to show his toughness except put himself in harm's way and keep going. Any other definition is just people trying to disguise that they're applauding violence.

And then returned quite early, and played the rest of the season hurt, including playing out a game with a calf strain.

Not sure what else the guy can do to show his toughness except put himself in harm's way and keep going. Any other definition is just people trying to disguise that they're applauding violence.

And he was only 18 last season. Serious fortitude for a (pseudo) kid.

Simpson, Cripps and Ed Curnow for me. Look at the team from 1995 - you'd practically name all of them except for Camporeale. Same goes for the team back in 81-82.

PS I'll add DOcherty for his willingness to go back with the flight of the ball - that is tough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not holding marks is not the same as avoiding the contest mate, but ok.
Not sure I'd call it avoiding the contest, or not being tough. Maybe it's because I'm looking for it now, but I've noticed a tendency for him to close his eyes and/or drop his chin forward in a marking contest. I reckon more often than not, when I see him do this he drops the mark.
It's hard to find specific examples though.
kreuz.jpg
kreuz1.jpg

Come on Jimmae. You go to the games. He literally hides when the ball is being kicked out from a point, or when there is a down the line kick required - doesn't want, and never demands the ball in the air like a big man should. Maybe he's too scared he will drop the mark? Who knows. But he is SOFT in the air when his position (ruckman/psuedo key forward) and body type demand that it is he that gives a target. I'd say his contested marking stats go someway to supporting that. But, when you go to the games he frustrates no end with his jog around like Humphrey when the ball is required to be kicked long to him.

I agree. Kreuzer is in no way worried about contact, the contest, or taking a hit. He's a tough competitor. He's worried about dropping the mark, that's all.

Over the last couple of years he's developed a bad habit. From a long way out, he anticipates the drop of the ball, he raises his arms in that direction, throws his body in that general area and then takes his eyes off the footy completely. "Hoping" it lands in his hands...

Back