Toughest thing you’ve ever seen on a footy field?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure that standing with their legs apart and looking lobotomised was the secret behind those wondrous first quarters, I'm really not. But hey, it was a point of amusement for the rest of us, so let the chuckles continue.

It doesn't matter if you're unsure

They are on the record as saying that's why they did it

Awful quality video, but at 4:19, Campbell brown wraps his leg around the goalpost. Then gets up and runs off the ground as fast as he can. Always stuck in my mind because generally players are so cautious with knee injuries. Browny realised how important it was at that point in the game and just said 'screw it' and got the hell off the ground.

Apart from Francis Bourke's well-known acts of heroism - playing on with the broken leg, tkicking the goal through a mask of blood etc, he had another lesser-known one.

In the last round of 1973 he severely injured his knee - needing surgery. nevertheless, he put off surgery untl after the finals. he played the whole Final series limping. If you look at the video of the GF, Bourke appears regularly - and he can barely run. I've never seen a person 'passed fit to play' limp so badly.

Worth a mention:

Dunstall returning with a fractured skull and a wrestling helmet, while getting ear massages every time he went for a mark.

Dan Hannabery i thought was very brave trying to play on in the 2016 Grand Final.

Big fan of notorious tough guy Alan Didak's finest moments. Like that one time at band camp when he found himself with the ball in traffic, immediately sees Hayes has him targetted coming straight at him, and without a thought just threw it away like a hot spud. Didnt even think to handpass it.
One of those s**t ya pants moments you'd love to see again, but you know u wont. When they repeat the slo mo half a dozen times and the commentators are cracking up too, you know its truly priceless. Good times in front of the tv with a beer.
No idea why that one sprang to mind.

Going back with the flight into your own defensive half has got to be the gutsiest thing you'll do. Isaac Newton wasnt wrong.

Never liked him, but to be fair he did play the last 8 weeks or something crazy like that of the 2010 premiership season with a torn pectoral muscle. Apparently could barely lift his arm above shoulder height.

An honorable mention
Eric Mackenzie in the elimination final against Port last year - scores drawn in the last minute, he has the ball and is being chased down near the goals. He can't concede a point, he can't risk the deliberate out, so he slams himself into the post and allows the ball to go out to gain a throw in.

[Youtube]

Also Fyfey playing out a final in a moonboot in 2015 was something

images (55).jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well technically it was on a footy field;
rick.jpg

For anyone unaware;

RICK McCOSKER
McCosker’s jaw was broken when smashed by a brutal Bob Willis bouncer in the Centenary Test between Australia and England at the MCG in 1977.

With the Test on the line, McCosker came out to bat in the second innings – his jaw wired, face bandaged and, generally, presenting a picture of pain.

Incredibly he batted for an hour and added 54 runs with Rod Marsh as Australia would go on to win by 45 runs.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...k=29bf4c94b248c1ad223b8271b23d9387-1520046510

Apart from Francis Bourke's well-known acts of heroism - playing on with the broken leg, tkicking the goal through a mask of blood etc, he had another lesser-known one.

In the last round of 1973 he severely injured his knee - needing surgery. nevertheless, he put off surgery untl after the finals. he played the whole Final series limping. If you look at the video of the GF, Bourke appears regularly - and he can barely run. I've never seen a person 'passed fit to play' limp so badly.

Not only played but played great too

Awful quality video, but at 4:19, Campbell brown wraps his leg around the goalpost. Then gets up and runs off the ground as fast as he can. Always stuck in my mind because generally players are so cautious with knee injuries. Browny realised how important it was at that point in the game and just said 'screw it' and got the hell off the ground.

That's the one I always remember, did his best to sprint off the ground, something as minor as that to get a finals win.

Also Croad in his last ever game, absolutely ruined his foot but still gives a solid bump as he comes off the ground. Was already a horrific colour when he was on the bench.

Barlow was tough Hirds was an accident
Actually Hird managed to play again despite what the doctors said was a car crash like injury. First game back he charged into a pack straight away with his head over the ball. Say what you like but he was a bloody madman on the footy field.

1989 Grand Final in its entirety! A bloodbath, and had there been a draw both sides would have been missing countless players the following week (IIRC Steve Hocking had a ruptured testicle, Dipper had broken ribs, John Platten had severe concussion, and Hawthorn had only 13 fit players on the field).

But if I had to narrow it down - Dermott ******* Brereton. He wasn't meant to play any further part in the game after being ironed out by Mark Yeates. Instead he bobs up deep in the forward pocket and kicked some crucial goals, no doubt inspiring his teammates to win.

Actually good point, this is my number 1 with Creswell at 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back