Tour called off

Remove this Banner Ad

dees01

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2000
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
The ARL has decided to call of its tour of Europe. I agree, best to play it safe in these times. Interesting to note the ARU are still going on their tour. A bit risky I would have thought.

I'm disappointed that half the players chose that they did not want to go, and that the end decision was to call the tour off.

I respect their decision but IMHO I do not think that the risk for them was that great. Sure something bad could have happened whilst travelling to England or in England but then again that's about as likely as getting hit by a car while crossing the road, it's possible but not likely.

Calling off the tour is giving in the terrorists, world leaders have gone out of their way to tell citizens to go about their daily lives, and by calling off the trip, that's letting the terrorists get the better of you. In hindsight maybe some players will regret their decision, it's not often that you get the chance to represent your country, and the realistic chances of something terrible happening to them really isn't incredibly high.

The sceptic in me wonders whether the decision was partly to do with the fact that its the end of season and if you go on tour then by the time you're back it's virtually straight into training for next season.

Originally posted by Sydneyfan
I'm disappointed that half the players chose that they did not want to go, and that the end decision was to call the tour off.

I respect their decision but IMHO I do not think that the risk for them was that great. Sure something bad could have happened whilst travelling to England or in England but then again that's about as likely as getting hit by a car while crossing the road, it's possible but not likely.

Calling off the tour is giving in the terrorists, world leaders have gone out of their way to tell citizens to go about their daily lives, and by calling off the trip, that's letting the terrorists get the better of you. In hindsight maybe some players will regret their decision, it's not often that you get the chance to represent your country, and the realistic chances of something terrible happening to them really isn't incredibly high.

The sceptic in me wonders whether the decision was partly to do with the fact that its the end of season and if you go on tour then by the time you're back it's virtually straight into training for next season.

Spot on.

Interesting to see how many that were originally picked decide to go now that other players have put their hands up saying that they will go in their place.

I think......

That the guys who did not want to go should have stayed behind, and the NRL could have then given theopportunity to others to represent their country.

Apparently, it was only a handful (something like 4 senior married players) who originally declined. Brad Fittler, Robbie Kearns and a couple of others (citing young families).
I don't hold it against these guys as they had their reasons, but most of the other players wanted to make their trip and the opportunity for them to go, should have been respected.

Originally posted by dees01
A bit risky I would have thought.

Mate we're not all walking around here wearing flak jackets & gasmasks.It was probably more risky to come here to play sport when the IRA were in full flow.

As a Roosters fan I'm really disappointed in Freddie Fittler, its one thing not to want to go but to pressurise the youngsters to change their minds just because you're too gutless to come is pretty low.Good on all the Wallabies none of whom have cried off.(& they've got a much bigger chance of losing than the Kangeroos :) )

Well stormy I was pretty dissapointed as I'd liked to have gone(don't get many chances to see AFL here) but I suppose just for an exhibition game it's fair enough, a bit different to an Ashes tour though.

Dipps (do you like my Nick) for you?

I really don't think it matters whether it was an exhibition game or Test or whatever, the afl guys got very little stick about them pulling out...could have something to do with league culture..do you think?

Anyway, they are going, so the TOUR IS ON..Yippee!:p

POMs to win!

I reckon the POMs are a good chance to win this series for the following reasons:

1) The aussies have their minds elsewhere (terrorism attacks etc.)

2) The standard of League in the UK has picked up since SuperLeague, whereas it has dropped off in Oz. (This is what happens when there is no Manly in the comp. ;))

3) Kimmorley may be playing.....:D (Which will mean at least two intercept tries for the POMs if Anderson is dumb enough to let him onto the field.

Re: Dipps (do you like my Nick) for you?

Originally posted by Ms.Storm
I really don't think it matters whether it was an exhibition game or Test or whatever, the afl guys got very little stick about them pulling out...could have something to do with league culture..do you think?

Anyway, they are going, so the TOUR IS ON..Yippee!:p

Stormy,
Love the nick;)

Yeah it's a bit strange that the AFL guys didn't get much criticism whilst the League boys copped a fair bit.I reckon the reason is firstly that all the league people over here started a campaign of bagging them, calling them yellow & all that sort of thing & I'm only guessing here but maybe a few of the ex Kangeroo players came out & did the same over there.Whilst the AFL exhibition game has very little history to it (only been going since 87) & 99.9% of people here couldn't give a stuff about it.

Briedis,
I nearly fell off my stool when Iread your last post:D ,I wouldn't give us a chance but I've gotta admit that I don't follow league as keenly as I used to.I don't think we've won a series since the early 70's & it seems to me that the best players over here are either Aussies that are past their best or Aussies that are were good players down there but never thought of as real Champions.Still I hope your right.

BTW what's happening with Manly are they coming back or what?

Manly will be running the Northern Eagles franchise next year. Norths ran out of dough and this caused a lot of problems paying players and eventually Manly decided to end the merger. Norths are now taking to Manly to court because John Singleton put up some money on Norths behalf and Manly refused to accept the money. It makes sense to me because all it is doing is putting off the inevitable. Norths would have money to cover for the next two or so years then it would be broke again and Manly would be left picking up the pieces. I think Manly will win the case quite easily.

The NRL have told Manly that, while they hold the 15th franchise, they cannot play under the "Manly Sea-Eagles" banner next year and must continue under the Northern Eagles title. Also, they must continue to play at both Northpower (Gosford) AND Brookvale Oval (Look for me!!) as there are still contracts etc in place. I think next year will be the last for the Northern Eagles and Manly will revert back to the Sea Eagles the following year.

Ken Athurson, at the Sportsmans Dinner, at the club a few weeks ago said that Manly was fully commited to a 16 team NRL comp and wanted to see Norths reinstated in the competition. He didn't say it but it seems obvious to everyone (except the NRL:mad: ) that Norths should move to the Central Coast (with Singo's money) and Manly should cover the Northern Beaches and the North Shore. This would be a win-win situation for both clubs...

So for next year it will still be "GO EAGLES" (even though we are all still yelling "GO MANLY"! :cool: )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dipps...

Yes there was a bit of noise and anger here from the media and supporters re the cancelling of the tour...I am sure because of the outcry in England and some pressure here in Australia, the idea not to tour was abandoned.

Briedis,
I think your post is spot on about NE reverting back to Manly next year, and about Norths also.
Thanks for all the goss from NSW.

This is a little off topic, but a friend of mine and her new husband (will be moving back to the Central Coast next year). He was born there and came to work in Melbourne and they met.
He keeps saying what a beautiful area it is and has convinced her to move there.
They are both Storm fans, but of course now they are moving back there, Manly will be his 1st team and Storm his 2nd team.
His wife says she will always be a Storm fan no matter what!!
(Just something a little different to talk about).

Another snippet of information that might interest you, KMart here in Melbourne had heaps of Sea Eagles merchandise, and it sold quite quickly.,.....so there must be an interest here in Melbourne for Manly....I was alittle surprised about this.

Anyway, both of you have a great day.:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back