AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
1st day of the tour. Brussels. 194.5km

Pedal to the medal boys and girls

SBS: https://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/

Last edited:

Can’t believe Sagan is still going around. He might get a green this year.
Think the sprinters jersey is just as open.

As much as Paul Sherwin and Phil Liggett have been the voices of cycling for many years, in the latter years, the amount of names being stuffed up etc was increasing. I really like how knowledgeable both Matt and Robbie are without getting hysterical. Always sad when anyone passes. Not quite sure what the go was. His death was kept pretty quiet.

Jacob Fuglsang just took a spill. Not what you want on the first day of the tour when you are in GC contention.

Think the sprinters jersey is just as open.

As much as Paul Sherwin and Phil Liggett have been the voices of cycling for many years, in the latter years, the amount of names being stuffed up etc was increasing. I really like how knowledgeable both Matt and Robbie are without getting hysterical. Always sad when anyone passes. Not quite sure what the go was. His death was kept pretty quiet.

Jacob Fuglsang just took a spill. Not what you want on the first day of the tour when you are in GC contention.
Fuglsang looked a mess.

That crash in the last km made things interesting.
Caleb Ewan 3rd, just had no where to go at the end there.

And agreed, I really like Robbie McEwan comments so far.

Day 2: Team Time Trial

Really disappointing TTT from Mitchelton-Scott. Were being talked about as potential stage winners and didn't even make the Top 10. More than 40 seconds off the winners and around 20 seconds behind most of the GC contenders.
Yep. Really disappointing. Simon Yates looked waaaaay out of sorts too which isn't a good sign... hopefully just saving himself.

Really disappointing TTT from Mitchelton-Scott. Were being talked about as potential stage winners and didn't even make the Top 10. More than 40 seconds off the winners and around 20 seconds behind most of the GC contenders.
Whoa! That’s an awful showing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Day 3: 215km Binche to Epernay

Champagne region!

It's a bit of a pity that the old commentators aren't there. I used to love sitting up watching this even though I know nothing about cycling because Liggett had a way of keeping us engaged. I find the new blokes kind of commentate in a way that certainly suits cycling fans, but I haven't a clue what they're talking about.

I used to find the same with Barry Sheen with the motor cycling.

seems dodgy

gutterred re porte
I hope not, but it is hard not to be cynical. I guess the thing to consider is the fact that so many of the GC contenders came in underdone or with interrupted preparation. Porte and G both had less than ideal lead ups, so in some ways it's not a surprise they are finding it difficult. I'm starting to wonder if Adam Yates actually has it in him to win across 3 weeks, similar to someone like Chavez. Great over 2, struggles with 3.

It is making for one of the most interesting TDF's for a while.

Ripping stage up the Tourmalet. So many GC possibilities blew. Tour over for Yates and Porte. Can't see G catching Alaphilepe now but with the mountains in the final days, who knows. Lot of talk questioning this sudden improvement of the Yellow Jersey holder. I hope to god he is legit.

Don't the French have the toughest anti-doping law in the world? Get caught doping in France and you get jailed

Well Mitchelton might have been disappointed that their GC ambitions went down the drain but they sure as hell would have to be happy with four stage wins. Incredible effort. They have ridden extremely smart in the breakaway this year and in that regard haven't set a foot wrong.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back