Werewolf Town of Salem Werewolf V (Town, Executioner & Survivor win)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll do a write-up and votes tomorrow. Thank you all for playing.

Mr Mayor Waiting GIF by NBC

I could be blind I guess. Or maybe I can't find it because it was in the dead PM? :)

If it's not, someone put me out of my misery and point me in the right direction.
I'll do the proper votes tomorrow.

Votes
Just as I promised - here are the votes exactly one day after the game concluded!

This was probably the smoothest this game variant has gone out of the five attempts so far, with absolutely no moderator errors at all. For this I award myself all the votes. The lack of a Transporter and/or Ambusher once again made things a little simpler - so much so that I'm going to have to "randomise" them in next game's role list a little better to add another layer of complexity for all involved. The Mafia faction continues to be the only one not to have won a TOS game here, and although I still think it's partly to do with a lack of understanding on how to use their roles best...but I think a guaranteed Ambusher on their role list instead of a Mafioso could help (although it exposes the Godfather to roleblocks and jail visits).

So, let's look at how everyone performed. First up: the Coven. Now it turns out that three of the five Coven members this game were actually Coven last game too (random.org at its finest), and Greenery, thewizardmelon and Tarkyn_24 were feeling very confident since they performed so well last game together. But alas - luck plays a huge factor in these games, and they went from comfortable winners to probably the more ineffective faction this time around. Once again the Coven Leader > Medusa trick was forgotten about, and Coven killing opportunities on N1 and N2 never eventuated. But importantly for them, the Medusa role was virtually unsighted all game. MP_ used all three Stone Gazes across the course of the game, but was never visited once - this made it easier for the Town to shore up the role list, and limited any claim space opportunities for evil. Not having a Potion Master probably didn't help (probably the third most powerful Coven role) - but the Poisoner being jailed on N1 was rather unlucky; kudos to Tarks for pretty much guessing jmoo wan was the jailor off the back of the interaction though...a shame they didn't use that intel to kill the jailor.

This is probably a reminder to evils that killing the Jailor should be their number one priority in TOS. Town had four Town Protect roles this game, yet not once was jmoo protected. He was wide open the entire time!

Now Mafia, who actually made a good fist of it this game, mostly thanks to ZergMinion's coordination. Their primary mistake this game was not getting the most out of the Janitor. Cleaning wiz did help a little, but another clean or two would have muddied the waters enough for Zerg to escape close examination for at least another day phase. CursingFijian did very well with his Hypnotist role, and it was only thanks to a perceptive shot from kananooks that he wasn't able to cause more mischief. In these game the Mafia rely on deception (as opposed to raw killing power like the Coven) to get to the end - and Janitors, Hypnotists and Forgers are a huge part of it.

Itsmyshow had a relatively easy run of it with the Executioner role thanks to eth-dog's absence at a critical time, but I admire him for having a bit of fun with it after he achieved his win condition. Ultimately the Executioner role is a game mechanic put in place to put doubt upon the information put forward by Town Invest roles - it's so easy for them to pretend to be a Lookout, Tracker or Sheriff and to "catch" out their target to create a mislynch - which makes everyone second guess the actual Sheriff, Lookout or Tracker. It's also pretty easy for an evil to pretend to be an Executioner (a bit like the Survivor) - something that some people picked up on. Robertio had a slightly more difficult time with the Survivor role, and being able to convince jmoo wan not to execute him on Night 2 was very nicely done.

Pie 4 Life did well to blend in as Serial Killer, and his interaction with the mafia was entertaining as he and DERO missed kills on each other over the first few nights. I do wonder if he realised he'd be hypnotised on Night 2 though. Not presenting a solid fake role was his undoing though, as the role-space slowly disappeared in the late game. ClarkeM was brilliantly entertaining as the Werewolf, just as Nunez was last time with Pestilence. The wildcard nature of his gameplay enables the other evils to hide in the shadows, and it's certainly how I like to see Neutral Killing roles played. If only jmoo hadn't executed him!

That brings us to the Town. As usual there was a mix of VIPs and NVIPs in their ranks - with MC Bad Genius, Chipmunk and Elmer_Judd in particular not making the most of their abilities. But after a bit of fumbling over the first couple of days (including two mislynches) they finally found their mojo: croweater 41 made the heroic Bodyguard save that I'd been waiting for (let's ignore that he saved a baddie), Pickitt came in clutch to prove himself as Lookout at a critical time to put the heat on Zerg, por_please_ya was refreshingly open with her Investigative results (Protip: this is how all Town Invest roles should play cough Ligma), Jack The Godfather nailed wiz, kananooks nailed CF, SaintBilly re-read the OP several hundred times. All events that contributed to the win.

But the key play was by the two people I'm giving top votes to: jmoo wan for his flawless Jailor performance (he killed the Werewolf, the Godfather, and the Mafioso - whilst also jailing the Poisoner and Survivor on other nights) - and sante for his perfectly timed Mayor reveal just as it seemed the Town were lacking direction and about to waste a lynch opportunity; he then used his newfound confirmed role to finally give the Town some leadership over the late game. The only thing lacking from that narrative was a hidden Bodyguard to then save him the next night (glares at MC Bad Genius).

So, my votes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

@ClarkeM was brilliantly entertaining as the Werewolf, just as @Nunez was last time with Pestilence. The wildcard nature of his gameplay enables the other evils to hide in the shadows, and it's certainly how I like to see Neutral Killing roles played. If only jmoo hadn't executed him!
I did plead with jmoo wan to let me have fun and live :’(

Just as I promised - here are the votes exactly one day after the game concluded!

This was probably the smoothest this game variant has gone out of the five attempts so far, with absolutely no moderator errors at all. For this I award myself all the votes. The lack of a Transporter and/or Ambusher once again made things a little simpler - so much so that I'm going to have to "randomise" them in next game's role list a little better to add another layer of complexity for all involved. The Mafia faction continues to be the only one not to have won a TOS game here, and although I still think it's partly to do with a lack of understanding on how to use their roles best...but I think a guaranteed Ambusher on their role list instead of a Mafioso could help (although it exposes the Godfather to roleblocks and jail visits).

So, let's look at how everyone performed. First up: the Coven. Now it turns out that three of the five Coven members this game were actually Coven last game too (random.org at its finest), and Greenery, thewizardmelon and Tarkyn_24 were feeling very confident since they performed so well last game together. But alas - luck plays a huge factor in these games, and they went from comfortable winners to probably the more ineffective faction this time around. Once again the Coven Leader > Medusa trick was forgotten about, and Coven killing opportunities on N1 and N2 never eventuated. But importantly for them, the Medusa role was virtually unsighted all game. MP_ used all three Stone Gazes across the course of the game, but was never visited once - this made it easier for the Town to shore up the role list, and limited any claim space opportunities for evil. Not having a Potion Master probably didn't help (probably the third most powerful Coven role) - but the Poisoner being jailed on N1 was rather unlucky; kudos to Tarks for pretty much guessing jmoo wan was the jailor off the back of the interaction though...a shame they didn't use that intel to kill the jailor.

This is probably a reminder to evils that killing the Jailor should be their number one priority in TOS. Town had four Town Protect roles this game, yet not once was jmoo protected. He was wide open the entire time!

Now Mafia, who actually made a good fist of it this game, mostly thanks to ZergMinion's coordination. Their primary mistake this game was not getting the most out of the Janitor. Cleaning wiz did help a little, but another clean or two would have muddied the waters enough for Zerg to escape close examination for at least another day phase. CursingFijian did very well with his Hypnotist role, and it was only thanks to a perceptive shot from kananooks that he wasn't able to cause more mischief. In these game the Mafia rely on deception (as opposed to raw killing power like the Coven) to get to the end - and Janitors, Hypnotists and Forgers are a huge part of it.

Itsmyshow had a relatively easy run of it with the Executioner role thanks to eth-dog's absence at a critical time, but I admire him for having a bit of fun with it after he achieved his win condition. Ultimately the Executioner role is a game mechanic put in place to put doubt upon the information put forward by Town Invest roles - it's so easy for them to pretend to be a Lookout, Tracker or Sheriff and to "catch" out their target to create a mislynch - which makes everyone second guess the actual Sheriff, Lookout or Tracker. It's also pretty easy for an evil to pretend to be an Executioner (a bit like the Survivor) - something that some people picked up on. Robertio had a slightly more difficult time with the Survivor role, and being able to convince jmoo wan not to execute him on Night 2 was very nicely done.

Pie 4 Life did well to blend in as Serial Killer, and his interaction with the mafia was entertaining as he and DERO missed kills on each other over the first few nights. I do wonder if he realised he'd be hypnotised on Night 2 though. Not presenting a solid fake role was his undoing though, as the role-space slowly disappeared in the late game. ClarkeM was brilliantly entertaining as the Werewolf, just as Nunez was last time with Pestilence. The wildcard nature of his gameplay enables the other evils to hide in the shadows, and it's certainly how I like to see Neutral Killing roles played. If only jmoo hadn't executed him!

That brings us to the Town. As usual there was a mix of VIPs and NVIPs in their ranks - with MC Bad Genius, Chipmunk and Elmer_Judd in particular not making the most of their abilities. But after a bit of fumbling over the first couple of days (including two mislynches) they finally found their mojo: croweater 41 made the heroic Bodyguard save that I'd been waiting for (let's ignore that he saved a baddie), Pickitt came in clutch to prove himself as Lookout at a critical time to put the heat on Zerg, por_please_ya was refreshingly open with her Investigative results (Protip: this is how all Town Invest roles should play cough Ligma), Jack The Godfather nailed wiz, kananooks nailed CF, SaintBilly re-read the OP several hundred times. All events that contributed to the win.

But the key play was by the two people I'm giving top votes to: jmoo wan for his flawless Jailor performance (he killed the Werewolf, the Godfather, and the Mafioso - whilst also jailing the Poisoner and Survivor on other nights) - and sante for his perfectly timed Mayor reveal just as it seemed the Town were lacking direction and about to waste a lynch opportunity; he then used his newfound confirmed role to finally give the Town some leadership over the late game. The only thing lacking from that narrative was a hidden Bodyguard to then save him the next night (glares at MC Bad Genius).

So, my votes:
Not gonna lie, I saw the wall of text and just scanned for my name. And I got TWO mentions. That just encourages me not to engage next time too.

Now Mafia, who actually made a good fist of it this game, mostly thanks to ZergMinion's coordination. Their primary mistake this game was not getting the most out of the Janitor. Cleaning wiz did help a little, but another clean or two would have muddied the waters enough for Zerg to escape close examination for at least another day phase.

I lost a clean the night the Coven leader fiddled with me before impaling himself on croweater, though that was on ligma so it might not have helped. I was going to clean if I managed to convince Dero to change off IMS, but his limited availability and the timezone difference killed that off. Pickitt was one of my suggested targets....if only :D

However Mafia cleans give the Coven/Neutral more spots to hide in as the cleaned role can never be mafia, so you really need the Medusa to stone a couple of villagers as well.

Now I've got a bit of experience as mafia I'd certainly make different suggestions on strategy (though encouraging people to fake claim before there's nowhere to hide will still be top of the list).

The best WW format going around. I’m wondering whether someone else could give you a hand serial_thrilla .

No putting my hand up - I’m too busy, but it is clear that there is an amazing amount of work going into these.
The dream would be for someone else to run it so that I could play. The second part of that dream would me surviving the first night! 😂

I'll put my hand up to mod the next one we do of this but I will need a co mod. I think I'd like that co mod to be ClarkeM
Why are people laughing at this. I haven't stuffed up a game I've modded since The Big Lebowski and even then that was just a win condition.

Why are people laughing at this. I haven't stuffed up a game I've modded since The Big Lebowski and even then that was just a win condition.
You modkilled me once for a pathetic image I posted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back