Townsville AFL

Navy2005

Senior List
Nov 3, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
St Kilda
Anyone out there interested in talking Townsville Football? I'm new to the area and am keen for a game can someone tell me a bit about the clubs?

Nov 18, 2004
Other Teams
Crows
Hi,

There are five clubs in the AFL Townsville League.

Last year the they finished like this:

Uni Hawks
Hermit Park Tigers
Thuringowa Bulldogs
Curra Swans
Twin City Lions

The A grade Comp is not to bad, but it does drop of a fair bit in the two's. There has been a bit of a gap between the top two teams and therest ova the last couple of years, but with there new ground the bulldogs should recruit alot better this year. The Lions are based near north ward but will play the games at the new stadium as well as Uni playing home games there.

Hermit Park and Curra grounds are at the murray sporting complex.

Hope this helps.

Navy2005

Senior List
Nov 3, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hi,

There are five clubs in the AFL Townsville League.

Last year the they finished like this:

Uni Hawks
Hermit Park Tigers
Thuringowa Bulldogs
Curra Swans
Twin City Lions

The A grade Comp is not to bad, but it does drop of a fair bit in the two's. There has been a bit of a gap between the top two teams and therest ova the last couple of years, but with there new ground the bulldogs should recruit alot better this year. The Lions are based near north ward but will play the games at the new stadium as well as Uni playing home games there.

Hermit Park and Curra grounds are at the murray sporting complex.

Hope this helps.

Thanks mate appreciate the info how would the league stack up against say the cairns league?

vicoutofwater

Draftee
Jan 15, 2008
Townsville
AFL Club
Essendon
G'day,
Cairns league is certainly stronger than Townsville.
For one very good reason....Dollars.
Cairns AFL has through a history of good management and a plethora of ex-pat Victorians been financially strong.

There is no money in Townsville, all players play for the love of it. And the social side is very rewarding also.

I would expect that the premiership side in Townsville would probably have a win loss Cairns slightly worse than 50:50 if they were playing in Cairns.

If your interested in having a kick, the University Hawks have started training Tuesday and Thursday nights. Meet at Strand Park at 5.30.....we train down the strand for the first month or so just getting some km's into the legs.

Hope to see you there.

Navy2005

Senior List
Nov 3, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
St Kilda
Twin City will improve boys they have picked up some very handy players coming with new coach I have been told.

Navy2005

Senior List
Nov 3, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
St Kilda
For the last 2 years a Townsville club comes to Cairns and plays a local club and so far it is one all , so they can hold their ends up

Thats interesting what team has been going up there though has it been a top Townsville side against a bottom Cairns side?

tamba

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
In my MAN Cave
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
South Cairns Cutters
Thats interesting what team has been going up there though has it been a top Townsville side against a bottom Cairns side?

Hermit Park against South Cairns it usually happens over the NAB cup weekend but there isnt a cup game this year in Cairns , so do not know if it will go ahead.

Back