Society/Culture Toxicity of social media

Remove this Banner Ad

How is facebook going for everyone?
Now banning news and weather from Australia.

You mean I have to type the name of reputable, fact checking, news providers into the url box of Chrome now?

No more random Peta Credlin crap infesting my Facebook? Just pictures from family and friends?

Not sure how I'll survive

You mean I have to type the name of reputable, fact checking, news providers into the url box of Chrome now?

No more random Peta Credlin crap infesting my Facebook? Just pictures from family and friends?

Not sure how I'll survive
Serious question, how much Peta Credlin crap infested your Facebook?

I get pretty much zero political rubbish (though I use an ad blockeur; maybe there's the difference?)

In keeping with the thread, some of the toxicity will now disappear with the news sites going dark. It was good sport, looking at the headlines from my local rag's website (which I pay subscription for BTW), knowing I could then go to see people duke it out on Facebook.

I've barely posted in 3 years on my own page but plenty for my job. I can't bring myself to believe that people are interested, god knows I scroll past everything. I struggle to not delete plenty of posts on BigFooty after I type them out.

The market is open for an alternative even if a new platform had to pay for content like it was proposed facebook should. Murdochbook.
I'm fascinated with how it will all play out longer term if the present situation continues. Joe Blogger is in the poop but you'd think more money will make into the hands of local advertisers. Most of the people browsing Facebook news never contributed anything financially anyway, but there is a lot less reach.

Facebook Communist Party flicked.
Easy enough. It was utter garbage anyway, just a habit.
Never felt a desire to back a multinational against my own country. This is an easy one.

Dillion Har...

I mean, who's the girl in your av?

It does seem bizarre that the Government wants Facebook to pay for content the media companies are posting on the Facebook platform. I haven't read a good argument as to why Facebook would bother paying for it yet?

their is no argument.

its absolutely bizarre.

Essentially the Aus Government is trying to make a company pay for something that makes them no money, Said Company says fine, no worries we respect your law and we will remove the content from our site. In return the Aus Government loses the plot is calling them bullies for not being bullied?

absolute stupidity is what it is.

Just got news of a BLM activist getting banned from Twitter for repeatedly calling Ken Wyatt a 'coconut' because Ken doesn't subscribe to his 'progressive' views.

And I won't be missing the current affairs s**t with the occasional mean spirited and ignorant comment from one of FB friends.

Has social media always been this toxic? Maybe covid has exacerbated all of this negativity but it's impossible to go onto social media without seeing such negative and vile comments posted between people with opposing thoughts or ideas, or people just out to troll. To me, it seems that social media has gotten worse in 2020 to the point that if I log into Twitter, I see a long list of posts with the left attacking the right quite negatively, which fuels the same political divide in the comment section. I accept that we don't all have the same values and opinions but I feel the social media environment is creating such a negative environment which seems to be in direct contrast to the goals and outcomes of the people supporting their own cause.

I believe there are powers at play who are deliberately bringing about a divide among the population and we are seeing it more so in the USA. I'm also aware that there are many fake and bot accounts on social media that influence this toxicity among the general "Sheep" in society.

Personally, I don't want to continue wasting my time glossing over this rubbish which ultimately is set about to create this divide the population and I think I'll be better for it.

Thoughts?
Social media is simply a mirror to society. If social media is more toxic, then so is society.
If you think well how bad can society get you simply have to look at India right now.

Social media is simply a mirror to society. If social media is more toxic, then so is society.
If you think well how bad can society get you simply have to look at India right now.
I don't disagree. Social media gives people the opportunity to take a 1-20 conversation to a 1-100,000 or more. However, sites like Twitter and Facebook have the ability to do something about it, but they aren't. They can't even stop pr0n being infiltrated into common posts.

Have a look at the trash being written up re Sam Newman RN. If ever you needed proof of how toxic Twitter is, go and read.

Has social media always been this toxic? Maybe covid has exacerbated all of this negativity but it's impossible to go onto social media without seeing such negative and vile comments posted between people with opposing thoughts or ideas, or people just out to troll. To me, it seems that social media has gotten worse in 2020 to the point that if I log into Twitter, I see a long list of posts with the left attacking the right quite negatively, which fuels the same political divide in the comment section. I accept that we don't all have the same values and opinions but I feel the social media environment is creating such a negative environment which seems to be in direct contrast to the goals and outcomes of the people supporting their own cause.

I believe there are powers at play who are deliberately bringing about a divide among the population and we are seeing it more so in the USA. I'm also aware that there are many fake and bot accounts on social media that influence this toxicity among the general "Sheep" in society.

Personally, I don't want to continue wasting my time glossing over this rubbish which ultimately is set about to create this divide the population and I think I'll be better for it.

Thoughts?
Its absolute cancer, all of it.
A platform mainly for narcissitc dickheads.
End of.

It takes a while to become aware of the toxicity of anything new, but we are at least becoming aware about social media now, and the ways in which it operates to keep people addicted and polarised.

From personal experience I can see how users are constantly posting less on Facebook, or increasing security settings. Messenger is being used more for private chats, instead of the public facebook feeds.

The best thing to do is delete social media from your phone at least, because that's where the habitual use is.
Failing that, at least block any news site on your social media, because they are mostly clickbait designed to prolong arguments amongst users.
Further steps could be to block it from suggesting friends, or block content from your friends on your feed.

It takes a while to become aware of the toxicity of anything new, but we are at least becoming aware about social media now, and the ways in which it operates to keep people addicted and polarised.

From personal experience I can see how users are constantly posting less on Facebook, or increasing security settings. Messenger is being used more for private chats, instead of the public facebook feeds.

The best thing to do is delete social media from your phone at least, because that's where the habitual use is.
Failing that, at least block any news site on your social media, because they are mostly clickbait designed to prolong arguments amongst users.
Further steps could be to block it from suggesting friends, or block content from your friends on your feed.
Their business models of dividing and outraging the masses needs to be rejected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, social media hasn't always been this toxic.

Nowadays we have person specific content targeting which inevitably leads to confirmation bias.

People are being fed the sh*t they want to hear, sure, but also fed the stuff that OUTRAGES them and thus provoking interaction.

Outrage is lucrative.
Really what do expect social media to have been?

Un-reviewed posts by uneducated people disposed to publicising their own ignorance and stupidity.

Gee!

Where the * could that go wrong?

Trump existed because of social media.

A whole generation who should be shot into the sun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back