Society/Culture Toxicity of social media

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
I can't say I'm losing sleep over Katie Hopkins getting banned from Twitter. You get a kick out of (and choose make a living from) getting nasty at others completely unnecessary like she does you take the bad with the good.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For a few years now social media has been heavily manipulated to push certain agendas. It's been largely effective due to the ease at which people can be influenced and manipulated.

I saw it this week. Story got published in the news, no conclusions had been made. People made assumptions and run an agenda to suit their narrative. They chose not to wait for any factual information, or understand the information that was provided to the media. They then made harmful, disrespectful and inaccurate posts on twitter and some of these people were professionals. These comments started trending and then other people responded to those comments as fact from that future point. It wasn't until the next day that the assumptions all of those people had made turned out to be completely false. Since the story no longer fit their narrative, those people have gone quiet.

I see it all the time where people simply follow the bouncing ball and forget to go back to the source, or to get two sides to the story. I've seen it with FB rants where people have received half of a story in a relationship breakup and painted the other person as bad when what was written was clearly bs. Quite frankly, I think people are stupid and it's why the most powerful people are able to heavily manipulate the masses to the point where they are virtually predictable.

If you have enough influence on Twitter you can virtually start a trend to suit your own agenda and the people will follow.

This was an interesting article.

Drowning is the leading cause of accidental death in children under the age of four in the US, according to non-profit organisation Parents Preventing Childhood Drowning.

PPCD co-founder Jenny Bennett, whose 18-month-old drowned in a backyard pool in 2016, said the first time she saw the TikTok video she thought it was “shocking”.

“It’s not too high where the child is dropped into the water, but I’ve seen some at this facility where the child is held upside down and dropped in,” she told Buzzfeed.

“That’s very unrealistic and could potentially cause harm.”

It must suck to be in that woman's position but surely its the trauma of what she has been thru that is making her see that as "shocking."

Eagle Wrath

Cancelled
Zombie Lover
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I hope we all agree with what Mark Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey think because that is the world view we are now expected to adhere too. Any other opinion will be removed and the person banned from Twitter and facebook. It is out of control now the biased censoring.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I hope we all agree with what Mark Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey think because that is the world view we are now expected to adhere too. Any other opinion will be removed and the person banned from Twitter and facebook. It is out of control now the biased censoring.

My conspiracy theory loving Facebook friends don't seem to have any issues posting their opinions.

Eagle Wrath

Cancelled
Zombie Lover
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Social Media has been a curse, meanwhile the ABC still exists and you can't get anymore toxic....
The ABC is certainly copping it today after naming Australia day as Invasion Day. Good to see these nutters are still in the minority.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Social media is a lot more toxic if you go on social media. (The closest I go to true social media is BF. That's toxic enough at times.)

Someone posted this article on another thread recently. Reading it, I thought "everything that is described here is utterly irrelevant to anyone if they stay off social media".

Made me wonder if we're not splitting society into two camps - those constantly allowing themselves to be whipped up into frenzies on social media, and those who are (blissfully?) ignorant of 99% of it.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Made me wonder if we're not splitting society into two camps - those constantly allowing themselves to be whipped up into frenzies on social media, and those who are (blissfully?) ignorant of 99% of it.
What about those pushing the former further down their rabbit holes ?

Back