Unsolved Toyah Cordingley * Delhi Police arrest Rajwinder Singh

* Formerly on the run Rajwinder Singh, has been arrested by Delhi Police.

A murder investigation is underway after the body of a 24-year-old woman was found at Wangetti Beach, north of Cairns, in far north Queensland.

Key points:
  • Toyah Cordingley went missing on Sunday with her large dog
  • A search began early Monday morning and her car was found at Wangetti Beach
  • Police launched a murder investigation with concerns males had been making women uncomfortable on the beach recently
  • Residents in the Wangetti area are being swabbed for DNA as part of the investigation
toyah.jpg

The body, which was found on Monday morning, has been identified as that of Toyah Cordingley, a Cairns pharmacy worker who went missing on Sunday with her large dog.

An SES air and sea search began in the early morning after family raised the alarm and pleaded for any information about her whereabouts.

Detective Inspector Sonia Smith said police are encouraging those who use the beach or car park regularly and may have dashcam footage to contact them.

"We believe she attended Rusty's Market [in Cairns] so it's important we connect with members of the community at the market who talked to her, interacted with her, sold goods to her between 12pm and 1pm on Sunday.

She said SES were helping conduct a forensic search, which is expected to go into tomorrow morning at the very earliest.

"Police divers have travelled from Brisbane to render assistance, they are looking for personal items," she said.

"I can't comment on her official cause of death. The dog was found on the beach [unharmed]."

On the 24-year-old's own Facebook page, she shared a tweet in June, commenting on the vulnerability of women.

"I can only imagine the rage and fear women feel to women die doing everyday mundane things like walking home, like they do, only to be told it's their fault and that they need to be more careful," the post read.

Cairns woman found dead on beach remembered as 'caring and loving'

Woman's body found on isolated beach

Last edited:
Residents of a small beachside community in far north Queensland are undergoing DNA testing as police search for a young woman's killer.

The Wangetti resident also said there were many other people who lived "unofficially" in the area in illegal camps.

There have been about 160 calls to Crime Stoppers since news of Ms Cordingley's death broke.

Many other people have chosen to drive to the crime scene to speak directly to police officers.

One man said he had driven 40 minutes from Cairns to the scene after reading about the search for her killer.

"I was walking along the beach at roughly the same time she was, but I don't remember seeing her, " said the man, who didn't wish to be named.

"I told police there were lots of families here at the time."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-24/cairns-death-toyah-cordingley-dna-tests/10422622

Very tragic news.

Police are seeking help from the community, below is an article with 4 ways people can help with the investigation. Thought this might be helpful to post here.

https://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/...r/news-story/7406facd51a9308a828ff7559cecadba

Someone there said a lot of people were on around the beach that day, hopefully the police have some luck with dashcam footage. Not sure how popular their use is but quite a few in my family have dashcams.

really sad/angry ...poor girl just walking her dogs on a Sunday afternoon . me and the miss's use to take dogs there quite a bit in the past....the 2 guys changing tyre's seem suss, the beach is out off the way but last Sunday there would of been quite a few people in the area / on road . hopping the coppers get them quick

It's a horrible creepy feeling when something like this happens in an area you know as a place to enjoy and relax. I didn't read about two guys changing tyres, have the cops spoken to them?

Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
It's a horrible creepy feeling when something like this happens in an area you know as a place to enjoy and relax. I didn't read about two guys changing tyres, have the cops spoken to them?

was in the news some people driving back from port douglas were waved over by 2 guys in 4wd wanting help to change tyre near southern car park were i presume young lady had parked . they said they 2 guys seemed weird and very keen to get going,the witness said could be nothing but felt very strange ..

Sorbet Bliss

Team Captain
Feb 26, 2018
This very in depth article has the info on the two guys as mentioned by mario.

"One witness told the paper he and a group of 15 friends were at the northern end of the beach with other families that afternoon.
They were driving back to Cairns near the southern car park, where Ms Cordingley's car was found, when they were waved down by two scruffily dressed men 'in a highly agitated state' on the side of the highway in a white 4WD ute with a flat tyre.
The witness has given a statement to police.
'We stopped to help, and they were in a really stressed state,' he told the publication.
'It might be nothing, but they were really strange, and in a real panic to get out of there.'

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...ah-Cordingley-24-murdered-Wangetti-Beach.html

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
Thought they might have arrested someone by now but apparently they have no suspects, even with over 21 dashcam videos.

Some decent drone footage of the "beach" at Wangetti in this link but it looks like the estuary or the mangroves. Maybe whoever it was went in by boat ??, you probably wouldn't even hear the motor from the beach front.

https://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/...illing/video/f4e4b62add758635982ac84caf57abed

Sorbet Bliss

Team Captain
Feb 26, 2018
"The four main lines of inquiry include; speaking to a family who picnicked on Wangetti beach on the day in question, leaving at about 1.30pm, for the public to bring attention to anyone with unexplained injuries in the community, as well as any unexplained missing clothes and for anyone with photos taken of Wangetti beach on October 21, either from the beach or from Rex lookout to contact police."

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.9news.com.au/article/5f3bf698-e79c-4836-904b-2d8b9cb60f64

The missing clothing inquiry is interesting.
As is the family who have yet to get in contact with police.
There could be a perfectly good explanation as to why they haven't but I must admit, with the amount of media attention this is getting, it's starting to look a bit suspicious that they've not yet come forward imo.

"A family that interacted with a couple in the carpark of the north Queensland beach are also being sought by police, AAP reports.

Police say a family consisting of a man, a woman and two children was seen leaving the beach’s southern carpark on Sunday, October 21 about 2.30pm.

Detective Inspector Sonia Smith said the family briefly interacted with a couple and their sausage dog before leaving the carpark.

An initial appeal has failed to locate the family, with whom police are desperate to speak.

“We’re keen to speak to that family to see what they saw, what cars they saw in that area,” Det Insp Smith told reporters on Monday.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/au....24-just-hours-found-dead-beach-061859615.html

Edit to add link

Last edited:

Sorbet Bliss

Team Captain
Feb 26, 2018
DETECTIVES hunting the killer of Toyah Cordingley have tracked down two men seen “freaking out” near the murder scene at Wangetti Beach.
Police today confirmed they’ve spoken to the men who were stranded with a flat tyre shortly after the 24-year-old was believed murdered.
Police have identified the two men and obtained statements from them,’’ a police spokesman said.
“They gave us a version of their movements and their story has been checked out.”
They told police they were “agitated” and “stressing out” because they were following another vehicle and feared they would get lost, he said.
“It’s good they’ve been accounted for. It’s the movements of those we cannot account for that is the concern.’’

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...h/news-story/050f5334ed322c53902d0b46a42368ee

A Current Affair has run a story on Toyah Cordingley's Murder.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.9news.com.au/article/95205cca-f661-412e-aa35-5ac36a9e4ae8

Absolutely heart breaking.
I hope the family that police are desperate to talk to come forward.
Surely by now they've heard about it?

Bugging me a bit. I'm starting to think this couple with two kids the cops are desperate to find are a bit suspicious now, how could they not have heard about it? And the press have switched from calling them a 'family' to 'two adults and two children'. Maybe the guy has a criminal record or something and they don't want to get involved.

Sorbet Bliss

Team Captain
Feb 26, 2018
Bugging me a bit. I'm starting to think this couple with two kids the cops are desperate to find are a bit suspicious now, how could they not have heard about it? And the press have switched from calling them a 'family' to 'two adults and two children'. Maybe the guy has a criminal record or something and they don't want to get involved.

Yes it's bugging me a bit too.
Over the last few days I've checked news expecting to hear that they've located the family or they've come forward only to see nothing about it. I agree, each day they've not come forward increases my suspicion as I can't really understand how they wouldn't know about this by now, the media are all over this state wide.

Last edited:
Over the last few days I've checked news expecting to hear that they've located the family or they've come forward only to see nothing about it. I agree, each day they've not come forward increases my suspicion as I can't really understand how they wouldn't know about this by now the media are all over this state wide.

They were in a sedan? No caravan or trailer, gear all over the roof and rods so maybe not on a long road trip.

Sorbet Bliss

Team Captain
Feb 26, 2018
They were in a sedan? No caravan or trailer, gear all over the roof and rods so maybe not on a long road trip.

The couple who claim they interacted with the family said the couples dachshund dog jumped in the families car. So I'd say it's likely that the couple have been able to give a description ie; colour, make and model of the vehicle that the family are travelling in.
As well as what the family look like.
In a small community like Wangetti if this family are local it wouldn't take much to narrow down families with two young daughters.

I wonder if police are looking at petrol station CCTV cam footage from the area and along the coast of interest.
If the family are travelling through even just for a day trip the likelihood they've needed to fuel up at some point is high imo.
All they'd need is to get a clear capture of the family and car to get info off plates.

Last edited:

Sorbet Bliss

Team Captain
Feb 26, 2018
"Hundreds of people are searching for clues by walking the length of the far north Queensland beach where the body of Toyah Cordingley was found."

https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/10463688

Hopefully they find any of the items they've been looking for that didn't show up when police did a full search of the area.

I read somewhere that they're hoping to find Toyah's mobile phone, keys and items of clothing.

Back