Resource Beyond the "66 Game" Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Game 36 (2017).png
Graph: graphical representation of number of "youth" selected in the best 22 (Series 1) along with that youth's performance, by way of AFL Coaches Association votes (Series 2), average youth AFL Player Rating* (Series 3) and average SEN Inside Football Player Rating Points** (Series 4)
* Avg AFL Player Rating = total player rating / number of players.
** Avg SEN Inside Football Player Rating = total player rating points / number of players.

GAME 36 Rnd 15 - LOSS vs Adelaide (77-89)

12 Youth Players
Coaches Votes: Patrick Cripps (1)
Player Ratings Points (AFL,SEN):

Patrick Cripps - 500.4, 6
Sam Docherty - 438.2, 7
Lachlan Plowman - 297.5, 5
Jacob Weitering - 280, 6
Sam Kerridge - 158.8, 6
Charlie Curnow - 135.5, 7
Caleb Marchbank - 111.5, 5

Jack Silvagni - 135.5, 5
Nick Graham - 111.9, 6
Liam Sumner - 106.8, 2
Zac Fisher - 72, 3
David Cuningham - 56.6, 4

Average: 200.4, 5.17

It's great to see that we're still getting so many games into the kids. The best part is, that i don't think it's a decision any more. i don't think there is an active decision to play a kid over a more senior player, I just think the kids are earning the games. For example, it could have been very 'old carlton' to bring in Palmer or Armfield for a game against the ladder leaders, and a couple of years ago we would have had to. but this season, the likes of Cuningham and Fisher, are not only youth, but they're also out performing those older statesmen. our development is strong, our drafting is strong, and it's showing on game day.

We hit new highs this week. 200 Average AFL Rankings points, we've never reached those heights before, our previous best was 191 in Round 22 last season. This year, at only Round 15 we've surpassed that amount, which shows just how far ahead of where we were last year. The boys also had an above average performance on the weekend, averaging out at 5.17 SEN Ratings points, with a lot of consistent efforts across the board.

Charlie Curnow continues to break out. i feel like this is the third week in a row that i've said he's just played his best game for the club, but here we are again. 7 SEN Insider Points, 22 possessions, 11 marks including 4 huge contested marks. He kicked a goal, had 7 contested possessions, two clearances and 2 1%ers. A rising star nomination is one bag of goals away now. Patrick Cripps was phenomenal and is back in top form, he had 29 touches, 19 contested possessions, 6 marks and 3 big contested marks. 9 clearances topped off a big game around the contest, he also had 3 rebound 50's, 6 tackles, 3 1%ers and 2 1%ers. Sam Kerridge came back in and had a big influence, he had 27 touches, 5 marks and only 3 clangers. He kicked an absolute roost of a goal from inside the square, had 6 rebound 50s, 4 inside 50's and laid 5 tackles. Sam Docherty picked up a lazy 30 touches, 11 marks, 3 rebound 50's, 4 1%ers, 3 inside 50's and a goal assist. Nick Graham had 24 touches and continues to be polarizing, on the one hand he had 24 touches, 8 marks, 3 rebound 50's and 2 tackles, but on the other hand he had 3 clangers, only went at 75% efficiency and made some costly errors (in the eyes of some). Jacob Weitering did some very good things, like darting a laer beam down the back fifty pocket to hit a player on the chest and get out of traffic. But then some bad things like dart a lazer beam out of the back fifty onto the chest of a Hawks player. Weits had 22 touches, 4 marks, 1 contested marks, 3 rebound 50's and 3 1%ers. David Cuningham came back in and kicked a big goal, he had 3 marks, 10 touches, 4 tackles and 2 inside 50's. Jack Silvagni had very limited impact he had 5 touches, 2 marks, 6 tackles and 3 inside 50's but kicked an absolute ripper goal when it was needed. Caleb Marchbank, had 14 touches and would have had more if he wasn't so injured in the last, he took 3 marks, 2 tackles and had 6!5ers on a very strong night defensively on Jenkins. Plowman did a huge job on Eddie Betts and had 12 touches, 4 marks, 5 1%ers and an inside 50's. Zac Fisher had 9 touches and would have had a decent showing if not for his handpass directly to an Adelaide player which killed our momentum in the last. He had a clearance and 4 tackles on an otherwise quiet return. Liam Sumner needs to make more impact. He kicked a goal and had a couple of 1%ers but only had 4 touches.

Guys we are playing finals next year, there's no doubt in my mind. We are so close at the moment to being a really good side, hard to believe we currently sit 16th. We're already an extremely hard team to beat, we have the right formula in place, it's all about getting games into these boys as a team.

Next year mark my words.
I love your enthusiasm but think the list will be even younger.
SOS would need to draft in some ready made talent capable of making an immediate impact to hypothetically cover the loss of Gibbs and Levi plus any experience that may retire be forced to retire, traded or delisted.
Any rumours that are discussed about possible big name signings are just that, rumours and we really won't know until the time comes.
Remember the club is attacking the draft with this rebuild and our early first round picks will go on highly talented draftees.
BB will also want to fast track their development and will play as many kids as possible.
Finals are possible in 2019 but 2018 should see the club move up the ladder and the Win/loss should begin to even out.
Like your enthusiasm as the gap between us and the top of the table clubs is closing but we need the gap between our best and worst players to be bridged and create depth on the list.

View attachment 388894
Graph: graphical representation of number of "youth" selected in the best 22 (Series 1) along with that youth's performance, by way of AFL Coaches Association votes (Series 2), average youth AFL Player Rating* (Series 3) and average SEN Inside Football Player Rating Points** (Series 4)
** Avg SEN Inside Football Player Rating = total player rating points / number of players.

GAME 36 Rnd 15 - LOSS vs Adelaide (77-89)

12 Youth Players
Coaches Votes: Patrick Cripps (1)

Patrick Cripps - 500.4, 6
Sam Docherty - 438.2, 7
Lachlan Plowman - 297.5, 5
Jacob Weitering - 280, 6
Sam Kerridge - 158.8, 6
Charlie Curnow - 135.5, 7
Caleb Marchbank - 111.5, 5

Jack Silvagni - 135.5, 5
Nick Graham - 111.9, 6
Liam Sumner - 106.8, 2
Zac Fisher - 72, 3
David Cuningham - 56.6, 4

Average: 200.4, 5.17

It's great to see that we're still getting so many games into the kids. The best part is, that i don't think it's a decision any more. i don't think there is an active decision to play a kid over a more senior player, I just think the kids are earning the games. For example, it could have been very 'old carlton' to bring in Palmer or Armfield for a game against the ladder leaders, and a couple of years ago we would have had to. but this season, the likes of Cuningham and Fisher, are not only youth, but they're also out performing those older statesmen. our development is strong, our drafting is strong, and it's showing on game day.

We hit new highs this week. 200 Average AFL Rankings points, we've never reached those heights before, our previous best was 191 in Round 22 last season. This year, at only Round 15 we've surpassed that amount, which shows just how far ahead of where we were last year. The boys also had an above average performance on the weekend, averaging out at 5.17 SEN Ratings points, with a lot of consistent efforts across the board.

Charlie Curnow continues to break out. i feel like this is the third week in a row that i've said he's just played his best game for the club, but here we are again. 7 SEN Insider Points, 22 possessions, 11 marks including 4 huge contested marks. He kicked a goal, had 7 contested possessions, two clearances and 2 1%ers. A rising star nomination is one bag of goals away now. Patrick Cripps was phenomenal and is back in top form, he had 29 touches, 19 contested possessions, 6 marks and 3 big contested marks. 9 clearances topped off a big game around the contest, he also had 3 rebound 50's, 6 tackles, 3 1%ers and 2 1%ers. Sam Kerridge came back in and had a big influence, he had 27 touches, 5 marks and only 3 clangers. He kicked an absolute roost of a goal from inside the square, had 6 rebound 50s, 4 inside 50's and laid 5 tackles. Sam Docherty picked up a lazy 30 touches, 11 marks, 3 rebound 50's, 4 1%ers, 3 inside 50's and a goal assist. Nick Graham had 24 touches and continues to be polarizing, on the one hand he had 24 touches, 8 marks, 3 rebound 50's and 2 tackles, but on the other hand he had 3 clangers, only went at 75% efficiency and made some costly errors (in the eyes of some). Jacob Weitering did some very good things, like darting a laer beam down the back fifty pocket to hit a player on the chest and get out of traffic. But then some bad things like dart a lazer beam out of the back fifty onto the chest of a Hawks player. Weits had 22 touches, 4 marks, 1 contested marks, 3 rebound 50's and 3 1%ers. David Cuningham came back in and kicked a big goal, he had 3 marks, 10 touches, 4 tackles and 2 inside 50's. Jack Silvagni had very limited impact he had 5 touches, 2 marks, 6 tackles and 3 inside 50's but kicked an absolute ripper goal when it was needed. Caleb Marchbank, had 14 touches and would have had more if he wasn't so injured in the last, he took 3 marks, 2 tackles and had 6!5ers on a very strong night defensively on Jenkins. Plowman did a huge job on Eddie Betts and had 12 touches, 4 marks, 5 1%ers and an inside 50's. Zac Fisher had 9 touches and would have had a decent showing if not for his handpass directly to an Adelaide player which killed our momentum in the last. He had a clearance and 4 tackles on an otherwise quiet return. Liam Sumner needs to make more impact. He kicked a goal and had a couple of 1%ers but only had 4 touches.
I'm not convinced on the value of having the AFL player ratings in this graph. To get a true reading on a player's worth, they really need to be rated over the full 40 games that the total allows. Any of our youth players that have played less than 40 games (everyone except Cripps, Doc, Plow and Kedge) will naturally have an upward trajectory providing they aren't stinking it up. And unless a player starts tearing it up straight out of the box, even those in the 40-60 game range will probably have an upward curve to a lesser extent as their first 10-20 games get filtered out of the tally.
That's not your fault. Just a problem with the ratings system. I've said it before, but a per game rating based on the past 40 games would be better than a total. Even some of the guys in the top 40 players are only rated on say 35 games because of games missed from injury in the 2 year rolling period.
Keep up the great work!

Official AFL Player Ratings

As at the conclusion of round 16.

Patrick Cripps - 27 (-3)
Sam Docherty - 58 (+3)
Lachie Plowman - 216 (+13)
Jacob Weitering - 246 (+1)
Sam Kerridge - 411 (+4)
Charlie Curnow - 427 (+22)
Jack Silvagni - 435 (+15)
Blaine Boekhorst - 468 (-2)
Nick Graham - 483
Caleb Marchbank - 485 (-1)
Liam Sumner - 492
Sam Petrevski-Seton - 498 (+23)
Dylan Buckley - 517 (-21)
Ciaran Byrne - 519 (-6)
Zac Fisher - 530 (+9)
David Cuningham - 557 (+7)
Tom Williamson - 570 (-2)
Harrison Macreadie - 595 (+13)
Daniel Gorringe - 602 (-4)
Kristian Jaksch - 632 (-2)
Jarrod Pickett - 633 (-2)
Cameron Polson - 684 (-4)

Big jumps from Plowman, Charlie and SPS.

Sucks that the ascent of Cripps will likely be temporarily halted, but he won't lose many points while not playing in the short-term (I believe/hope?).

Docherty with a new career-high, he's pretty good for a 23 year-old veteran.

Plowman with a new career-high, he's pretty good for a 22 year-old veteran.

Charlie continues his exponential rise, it really is a sight to behold for graph lovers; he's jumped close to 60 spots in 3 games. Started the season as our 33rd ranked player, he's currently 17th and should take Phillips' 16th this coming week.

Not to be significantly outdone, Jack's lineo-exponential rise (my own word...) conveys his best 5 game patch thus far, up 64 spots in that time.

Samo is back.

What happens when the afl start rating pressure acts more highly than tackles. Considering a pressure cab result in a turn over more readily than a tackle which has the tendency to take the tackler out of the contest while allowing ball movement via handball and play continue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love your enthusiasm but think the list will be even younger.
SOS would need to draft in some ready made talent capable of making an immediate impact to hypothetically cover the loss of Gibbs and Levi plus any experience that may retire be forced to retire, traded or delisted.
Any rumours that are discussed about possible big name signings are just that, rumours and we really won't know until the time comes.
Remember the club is attacking the draft with this rebuild and our early first round picks will go on highly talented draftees.
BB will also want to fast track their development and will play as many kids as possible.
Finals are possible in 2019 but 2018 should see the club move up the ladder and the Win/loss should begin to even out.
Like your enthusiasm as the gap between us and the top of the table clubs is closing but we need the gap between our best and worst players to be bridged and create depth on the list.

Agree especially with the last sentence.

Just on any potential players coming to the club as being rumors and nothing more, same goes for Cas and Gibbs yeah? Until they're gone?

GAME 37 (2017).png

GAME 37 Rnd 16 - LOSS vsMelbourne (82-90)

12 Youth Players
Coaches Votes: Charlie Curnow (5)

Patrick Cripps - 492.9, 2
Sam Docherty - 440.3, 8
Lachlan Plowman - 310, 7
Jacob Weitering - 285.9, 5
Sam Kerridge - 165.4, 8
Charlie Curnow - 152, 7
Jack Silvagni - 146.4, 6
Jed Lamb - 111.5, 4
Samo Petrevski-Seton - 100.5, 4
Zac Fisher - 79.8, 3
David Cuningham - 62, 4
Harrison Macreadie - 31.9, 3

Average: 198.2, 5.08

So, i'm not going to hide the fact that i started this thread single handedly off the back of Patrick Cripps. His incredible rise gave me reason to hope, I knew because of him that this club will be going somewhere. I was honestly devastated on Sunday, and i completely forgot about updating this thread until just now. This thread without Patrick for the next 7 games will be so tough to get through but we will, we will proceed.

If it wasn't for Cripps' injury we would be in such an amazing position right now. Jack Silvagni and Charlie Curnow are bolting up the rankings, smashing past 150 like a freightrain. Lachlan Plowman is a triple century man now, and Samo has cracked the tonne, so many positives. The performances in the SEN system were positive as well, even with Cripps' 2 we managed 5.08, change that Cripps 2 to the 8 or so he would have pulled from a full game and we're looking at 5.6, a significant jump on our normal 5 rating and getting closer to the 6 or so we'd hopefully expect from this group going forward. I don't want to imagine the big cliff we will fall off net week, Cripps out means a big chunk of our average AFL rankings is gone, let's hope it's not that big of a chasm on field.

Let's talk about Charlie Curnow, what a star, we are a rising star factory, and Charlie is one of the brightest. He had 19 touches, 10 marks including 4 contested, he laid 4 tackles, 3 1%ers, 2 goals and was involved in 10 of our scoring involvements. Sam Kerridge, the man is so polarising, he had a career best game in some ways. 35 touches, an elite work rate gut running unknown kilometres, took 7 marks, had 3 inside 50's and 2 clearances. But then on the other hand he only laid 2 tackles, had 7 clangers and his errors cost us about two or three goals. It's frustrating stuff, if only he was a one touch player he'd be the best in the comp. Sam Docherty continues to amaze, he had 34 touches, 10 marks and 4 rebound 50's across the back half. he also played in the middle, had 3 clearances, 11 contested possessions and 3 inside 50's he can do it all, and better yet, the man had 0 clangers, gun. Jack Silvagni, * you just love him, the son of a gun kicked 3 goals from 8 touches took 3 marks and laid 4 big tackles. Lachie Plowman, plowman is a gun, thats all, that name again is Mr Plow. He had 24 touches at 87% efficiency took 7 marks including 2 contested and had 3 1%ers. Samo Petrevski-Seton had 16 touches, 3 clearances, laid 9 tackles and kicked an absolutely miraculous goal. When he starts getting it 20+ times he will be a freak. David Cuningham played a quality role, he had 17 touches, 6 marks, 2 clearances, 5 tackles and a goal assist. Jed Lamb was okay, 17 touches, 7 marks, 2 clearances, 8 inside 50's and 2 goal assists were the highlights of a rounded performance. Jacob Weiterings performance was below what we expect of Jacob but more than we'd expect of any other second year player. His free kick in a crucial moment was disappointing, but i found a lot of the umpiring dissapointing too. Jacob had 17 touches, 8 marks, 1 contested mark, 5 1%ers and 2 tackles. Zac Fisher had 10 touches, 5 tackles and not much else. needs to impact the game more. Harrison Macreadie did a job down back coming in for Marchbank. The kid had 6 touches, 4 tackles and 5 1%ers playing a crucial defensive post. Patrick... Cripps... 9 touches, 1 marks, 5 clearances, 4 tackles and 2 inside 50s, in little over a quarter of footy, was on track for 30+ and 12+ clearances but ended up with a broken leg.. *.

View attachment 391537

GAME 37 Rnd 16 - LOSS vsMelbourne (82-90)

12 Youth Players
Coaches Votes: Charlie Curnow (5)

Patrick Cripps - 492.9, 2
Sam Docherty - 440.3, 8
Lachlan Plowman - 310, 7
Jacob Weitering - 285.9, 5
Sam Kerridge - 165.4, 8
Charlie Curnow - 152, 7
Jack Silvagni - 146.4, 6
Jed Lamb - 111.5, 4
Samo Petrevski-Seton - 100.5, 4
Zac Fisher - 79.8, 3
David Cuningham - 62, 4
Harrison Macreadie - 31.9, 3

Average: 198.2, 5.08

So, i'm not going to hide the fact that i started this thread single handedly off the back of Patrick Cripps. His incredible rise gave me reason to hope, I knew because of him that this club will be going somewhere. I was honestly devastated on Sunday, and i completely forgot about updating this thread until just now. This thread without Patrick for the next 7 games will be so tough to get through but we will, we will proceed.

If it wasn't for Cripps' injury we would be in such an amazing position right now. Jack Silvagni and Charlie Curnow are bolting up the rankings, smashing past 150 like a freightrain. Lachlan Plowman is a triple century man now, and Samo has cracked the tonne, so many positives. The performances in the SEN system were positive as well, even with Cripps' 2 we managed 5.08, change that Cripps 2 to the 8 or so he would have pulled from a full game and we're looking at 5.6, a significant jump on our normal 5 rating and getting closer to the 6 or so we'd hopefully expect from this group going forward. I don't want to imagine the big cliff we will fall off net week, Cripps out means a big chunk of our average AFL rankings is gone, let's hope it's not that big of a chasm on field.

Let's talk about Charlie Curnow, what a star, we are a rising star factory, and Charlie is one of the brightest. He had 19 touches, 10 marks including 4 contested, he laid 4 tackles, 3 1%ers, 2 goals and was involved in 10 of our scoring involvements. Sam Kerridge, the man is so polarising, he had a career best game in some ways. 35 touches, an elite work rate gut running unknown kilometres, took 7 marks, had 3 inside 50's and 2 clearances. But then on the other hand he only laid 2 tackles, had 7 clangers and his errors cost us about two or three goals. It's frustrating stuff, if only he was a one touch player he'd be the best in the comp. Sam Docherty continues to amaze, he had 34 touches, 10 marks and 4 rebound 50's across the back half. he also played in the middle, had 3 clearances, 11 contested possessions and 3 inside 50's he can do it all, and better yet, the man had 0 clangers, gun. Jack Silvagni, **** you just love him, the son of a gun kicked 3 goals from 8 touches took 3 marks and laid 4 big tackles. Lachie Plowman, plowman is a gun, thats all, that name again is Mr Plow. He had 24 touches at 87% efficiency took 7 marks including 2 contested and had 3 1%ers. Samo Petrevski-Seton had 16 touches, 3 clearances, laid 9 tackles and kicked an absolutely miraculous goal. When he starts getting it 20+ times he will be a freak. David Cuningham played a quality role, he had 17 touches, 6 marks, 2 clearances, 5 tackles and a goal assist. Jed Lamb was okay, 17 touches, 7 marks, 2 clearances, 8 inside 50's and 2 goal assists were the highlights of a rounded performance. Jacob Weiterings performance was below what we expect of Jacob but more than we'd expect of any other second year player. His free kick in a crucial moment was disappointing, but i found a lot of the umpiring dissapointing too. Jacob had 17 touches, 8 marks, 1 contested mark, 5 1%ers and 2 tackles. Zac Fisher had 10 touches, 5 tackles and not much else. needs to impact the game more. Harrison Macreadie did a job down back coming in for Marchbank. The kid had 6 touches, 4 tackles and 5 1%ers playing a crucial defensive post. Patrick... Cripps... 9 touches, 1 marks, 5 clearances, 4 tackles and 2 inside 50s, in little over a quarter of footy, was on track for 30+ and 12+ clearances but ended up with a broken leg.. ****.
I ******* hate the SEN ratings system now... Cripps got 2 rating points... gimme a ******* break, guy was already monstering the game. Their comments also suggest they simply don't watch the game anymore - it just doesn't provide anything anymore. Used to be a reasonable metric IMO.

I ******* hate the SEN ratings system now... Cripps got 2 rating points... gimme a ******* break, guy was already monstering the game. Their comments also suggest they simply don't watch the game anymore - it just doesn't provide anything anymore. Used to be a reasonable metric IMO.
Yeah ive noticed a very subatantial drop in quality this year i think

I knew something was seriously wrong when Kreuzer completely dominated against Collingwood getting 9 coaches votes but only managed a 5 rating

Pressure acts needs to start coming into your ratings. In particular because it is more valuable than a tackle. I'd also like to know what it looks like for metres gained across the team progressively over the season considering it will be a true measure of our progression from a defensive setup to a more positive attacking one. Actually I may sort something out myself and share.

If pressure acts do get accounted for you will have to see a massive impact from guys like Zac Fisher. He was everywhere effecting kicks and pressuring the ball handler coming out of our 50. Didn't lay too many tackles, but had an impact on not allowing them clean disposal out of defence. I think it is an underrated attribute. Agree he does need to impact a bit of offensively by his defensive 50 game is really exciting to watch with his speed and ability to get to the ball handler.

If pressure acts do get accounted for you will have to see a massive impact from guys like Zac Fisher. He was everywhere effecting kicks and pressuring the ball handler coming out of our 50. Didn't lay too many tackles, but had an impact on not allowing them clean disposal out of defence. I think it is an underrated attribute. Agree he does need to impact a bit of offensively by his defensive 50 game is really exciting to watch with his speed and ability to get to the ball handler.
Fisher had the most pressure acts for either side

Fisher had the most pressure acts for either side
IMO thats a very hard thing to coach into a player as well, either you are hungry to affect the ball or your not. You either will push yourself or you wont. Which is why i am really glad to be seeing him getting a game. The other things will come but forward 50 pressure is something we are lacking in, and with a low scoring team like ours it is so valuable. Jack and Charlie are also great at this however lack the speed of Fisher, but they give there all at the contest and it is great to see. Clearly something that SOS has an eye for in a player as all the guys being drafted have that same will for the contest. It shows with SPS tackle numbers being great and Cunningham also hard at it. Once these guys can find their own ball it could be lethal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back