Resource Beyond the "66 Game" Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Still only rated on 37 games I believe.

But because he missed the end of last year (6-8 games or so), those 3 unrated games will persist until late 2019.

44 games in the 2 year window, if you miss 5 or more you start losing ranking points due to the 40 game system.

If that's what you meant?

If he were rated on 40 he'd be in the mid teens for sure.

But because he missed the end of last year (6-8 games or so), those 3 unrated games will persist until late 2019.

44 games in the 2 year window, if you miss 5 or more you start losing ranking points due to the 40 game system.

If that's what you meant?

If he were rated on 40 he'd be in the mid teens for sure.
Yeah, it's why I hate the ranking system. A per game average is more consistent.

AFL Player Ratings - as at the conclusion of R7

Patrick Cripps - 20
Sam Docherty - 77 (-4)
Lachie Plowman - 225 (-7)
Jacob Weitering - 238 (-2)
Charlie Curnow - 242 (-3)

Sam Petrevski-Seton - 335 (+14)
Sam Kerridge - 358 (-10)
Zac Fisher - 367 (+7)
Jack Silvagni - 385 (+1)
Matthew Kennedy - 413 (+7)

Caleb Marchbank - 445 (-2)
Darcy Lang - 451 (-4)

Nick Graham - 453 (+13)
Jarrod Garlett - 478 (-11)
David Cuningham - 486 (-1)
Tom Williamson - 503 (-3)
Ciaran Byrne - 517 (-12)
Jarrod Pickett - 552 (-6)

Harry McKay - 554 (+18)
Paddy Dow - 557 (+7)

Harrison Macreadie - 576 (-11)
Lochie O'Brien - 615 (-2)
Cameron Polson - 655 (-5)

Way too much red.

Yeah...not a great update this week unfortunately.

We've had a huge injury list to deal with, as many of those who are available aren't in good form. Not a good combination for any side, let alone one down near the bottom of the ladder.

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot we can do about it at the moment, other than to keep cracking in, ride it out and hope our luck turns around on the injury front.

If it does I am confident we'll see more green each week, and we'll see some far better performances from the group throughout the second half of the season in particular.

Brendan Bolton
56 Games
18 Wins
38 Losses
32.1% Win rate

So we are nearly to 66 games - verdict is.................

Verdict is that we are nearly at the 66 games and haven’t finalised our list turnover yet. Simples.

I think we have finalized our list turn over where the core of this team have been training and playing together for the best part of the past two years,

I think we have finalized our list turn over where the core of this team have been training and playing together for the best part of the past two years,
Core of our team going forward being?

Defence weits docherty (injured) Marchbank (injured and not 2 plus years) Plowman Byrne (injured)

Midfield Cripps Dow (not close to two years) Sps (not two years) fisher (not two years) lob (not close to two years) ed

Cbf doing anymore. The future core has not been playing together for 2 plus years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am happy with the progress. Basically the 66 game rebuild was to cut down what was there and re-jig the club with a new solid foundation. That necessitates going two steps backwards to go five steps forward.

I see a potential Premiership 22 as follows:

Williamson XXXX Weitering

Docherty Marchbank XXXXX

LOB XXXX Fisher

Picket Curnow XXXX

XXXXX McKay XXXX

XXXX Cripps Dow

Bench: SPS XXXX XXXX XXXX

This means we have 12 of a Premiership 22 in place IMO. I am being very picky in doing this and not including people like Macredie, Plowman etc who I think could be there. We have to be realistic and unless consistent form has been shown in seniors not include people. A few exceptions - Williamson is a gun and I think LOB and Dow have shown enough. Pickett is a slight gamble. This 12 of 22 is from what was on our list in 2015 (basically Cripps and Docherty) plus 2015, 16 and 17 drafts. So in 3 drafts we have brought in at least 10 best 22 premiership players - that is a very good strike rate.

With free agency and 2 more drafts we can fill out the list. What we need:

1. gorilla fullback - could still be Jones or maybe Macredie if he bulks up? Otherwise something you can get through free agency or later in the draft
2. third leading forward - could be Kerr or Silvangi (maybe). Or again something you can get without using high picks
3. a ruck - you trade for these. I am assuming Kreuzer will be gone when we challenge. I actually rate Phillips but he hasn't shown enough to put him in. This might be where we trade a first rounder in 3 years for a gun ruck or target a second stringer as Richmond did
4. we need more mids and lots of them. But I think we have enough flashy running types, we need the cake batter ones that can get 30+ touches. At the moment only Cripps is capable of that and Fisher looks like he will be as well. Perhaps Dow may get there but that isn't enough. We need good accumulators. Guys like Lang and Kennedy may have a role but again have not shown enough. We need to focus on polished mids not flashy types. Again free agency can help here.

So essentially we have the foundations for a decent flag run. Silvangni has built well with gun KPP in Marchbank, Weitering, Curnow and I believe McKay will be a gun. From where we were in 2015 this is great progress. In reality we won't challenge for another 3 years but when we do it will be sustained success because we took the time to built it right.

The amount of list turnover required/done should have signalled that at 66 games is probably the halfway mark. oh well now we know. 66 games is probably when the building starts to be honest.

We judge this list in finality when the youngest of our core players (Dow, LOB, TDK + 2018 crop) are 22-23 and Cripps/Docherty are 28-30.

That is when we will be competitive (if we ever will be).

GAME 51.png

GAME 51 Rnd 7 - LOSS vs Adelaide (70-125)

13 Youth Players
Coaches Votes:
Player Ratings Points (AFL, +/- change):

Patrick Cripps - 499.5 (+0.7),
Lachlan Plowman - 300.2
(-4.1),
Aaron Mullet - 249
(-0.2)
Samo Petrevski-Seton - 213.3 (+7.2),
Sam Kerridge - 201.9
(-4.3)
Zac Fisher - 195.1 (+6.3),
Matthew Kennedy - 158 (+8)
Nick Graham - 116.1 (+8.9)
Jarrod Garlett - 98.7 (- 8.1)
Cam O'Shea - 65.2 (-1.8)
Paddy Dow - 43.5 (+7.5),
Harry McKay - 44
(+9.7),
Lochie O'Brien - 18.7 (+0.8)

Average: 169.2

We suffered a big loss to a difficult opponent. We lost our seventh game of the season. Continuing our worst start to a season ever.

On the upside (limited) we saw positive growth in a number of our players. SPS, Kennedy, Cripps, Fisher, Graham, Dow, McKay and LO'B all made gains.

With a few key player's out our average took a dive this week, dipping down to 169.2, but it's a temporary blip.

The progress will quickly come, we're moving upwards.

Unfortunately I didn't see the game this week so I can't do a wrap up below but I note we had some good individual performances. Patrick Cripps - 5 clearances and 18 contested possessions, Zac Fisher - 4 clearances, Nick Graham - 5 inside 50's, Harry McKay - 2 goals, Sam Kerridge 85.7 disposal efficiency and 9 marks, Paddy Dow - 5 tackles.

We have some excellent performances from our kids, let's keep backing them.

Brendan Bolton
56 Games
18 Wins
38 Losses
32.1% Win rate

So we are nearly to 66 games - verdict is.................

The jury is out until the end of 2020 in my opinion, too early to be calling anything.

Knocked this up pretty quickly to help show some positives in the rebuild

Carlton Senior List Players Under 24 (...who have played AFL Games)

* Note: Ages as at 29/12/2017 courtesy Carlton List By The Numbers thread
** Games Played as at Round 7, 2018

upload_2018-5-9_11-32-59.png

I know there are a few there who may not make it, but I look at this and see the light at the end of this 15 year tunnel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back