Autopsy Trade 2018- The winners and losers

Who was the biggest winner from the 2018 Trade week ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

V for Valazer

Rookie
May 25, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham, Celta de Vigo
Has got to be Hawthorn, Scrimshaw to replace Burton; then Scully and Wingard to add outside class and run. Obviously gave up quite a bit of draft capital. But you'd also back them to use their first pick in this years draft, 53, more wisely than others...
I think they finish top 4 again next year.

Last edited:
ESPN trade analysis

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/25000696/afl-trade-period-************-club-club-gradings

Port Adelaide
In: Ryan Burton, Scott Lycett, Sam Mayes, pick 5, pick 15, Fremantle 2019 third-round pick, Adelaide 2019 fourth-round pick, Hawthorn 2019 fourth-round pick, North Melbourne 2019 fourth-round pick
Out: Jack Hombsch, Jasper Pittard, Jared Polec, Chad Wingard, pick 23, pick 30, pick 48, pick 49, 2019 third-round pick

2018 Draft Picks: 5, 10, 15, 85

Grade: A

Rationale: Scott Lycett is a positive addition and is a suitable ruckman to partner with and eventually succeed Patrick Ryder. Ryan Burton will improve the club's back half while Sam Mayes has the scope to carve out a role for himself after placing fifth in Brisbane's 2017 best and fairest. Jared Polec and Jasper Pittard will be missed for their outside drive. Chad Wingard is a substantial loss, though with Port Adelaide moving up to pick 5 they are in position to potentially acquire Izak Rankine through the draft who is a comparable talent capable of replacing Wingard's impact.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
It is surprising the number of experts that have rated us as a 'B'. This is the first 'A' I have seen though. Not sure I agree but we are not going to know for at least two years.

Of course our trade period may not be over yet. We may still have a crack at exchanging #5 plus another first for Gold Coast's #3. If we did that it would assure us of Izaac Rankine.

It is surprising the number of experts that have rated us as a 'B'. This is the first 'A' I have seen though. Not sure I agree but we are not going to know for at least two years.

Gary Buckenara gave us an A- (see previous page).

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
The big difference is West Coast lost a few old heads and lost NN during the year. Their form was driven by the core mid aged group of their list - Shepherd, Hutchings, Lycett, McGovern, Jetta, Darling, Gaff, Yeo, Sheed, Rioli in that 23-27 group.
Our form is driven by our older players who are only going to decline. We are heavily reliant on a 31yo Ryder, a 32yo Westhoff, a 31yo Gray and a 30yo Boak. We've just said goodbye to the only two near elite players in that core age group.
Anything can happen, but I can't see how we can beat a West Coast, Richmond, Collingwood etc to win a premiership next year.

Moving on an experienced player who controls the play well can help. In the early days of Adelaide t was very shut down McGuinness, shut down Adelaide. Once he left they won two flags. When we win the best on ground are the usual suspects, unless they come to the party we put in a good effort but generally miss out. Our young blokes will have to step up, the loss of Polec and Wingard gives opportunities and hopefully it will not be as keenly felt as we thought. Although unlike West Coast we do not have a good deal of young and mid-range players getting a lot of the ball. We do have a second ruck now which means our coaches' stubbornness in robbing other areas to play a stand-in ruck is no longer a problem.

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I like the Mayes trade.
Reason being is that we would have probably traded pick 6 and 35 by itself for pick 5 but we got Mayes as well.
Mayes’ stats look fairly ordinary, even taking 2018 out. I do not know much about him though. He does look like he could be a good player, so ism hoping he will be more than depth.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mayes’ stats look fairly ordinary, even taking 2018 out. I do not know much about him though. He does look like he could be a good player, so ism hoping he will be more than depth.

Sam's 2017 wasn't too bad as he average 20.9 disposals per game. Not sure what happened last year, maybe he got homesick?

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think they were referring to the fact that we got #35 as part of the Wingard deal then on traded it to Brisbane for Sam Mayes. You are right we don't have it.

I do not think #35 is that bad for Sam Mayes provided of course we need him.
I took a look at Mayes' highlights reel and one thing he has is a long accurate kick. Whether those are required attributes under Kenny's game plan is open to question. As an example we all know Hamish Hartlett has a long accurate kick but under Ken's game plan he somehow prefers to chip the ball around or hand ball.

Maybe we should take some heart that Ken is recruiting players like Burton and Mayes who have some kicking ability? Maybe it suggests change ? Maybe I am reading more into the situation than is there?
Yes. I am hoping that we have a change in game plan. CD said with the arrival of Lycett that Hinkley must reconsider his game plan. We currently run our players into the ground and get caught out on turnovers. The new rules also move play to a more one on one and away from the running game. Hinkley has made us s**t in the air and opposition teams know it. But I think our tall players have to be our links. Ryder, lycett and Westhoff good in the air. Dixon is a weakness.

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sam's 2017 wasn't too bad as he average 20.9 disposals per game. Not sure what happened last year, maybe he got homesick?
Reports suggest he and Brisbane had a discussion about he wanting to return to SA early in 2018. I am hoping that Brisbane half stopped supporting him as he was not in their future plans. If he is in our plans, and if my guess is right, then we are in for some joy.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Reports suggest he and Brisbane had a discussion about he wanting to return to SA early in 2018. I am hoping that Brisbane half stopped supporting him as he was not in their future plans. If he is in our plans, and if my guess is right, then we are in for some joy.

Yes, I am also hoping it was something like that. Mayes was dropped immediately after the Lions' 110 - 17 shocker against the Tigers. Yet two weeks prior he was high in their best against us. I am hoping Sam was a scapegoat in the aftermath of that Tigers game.

NEGAN

Premium Gold
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well if we get Rankine, I will be

celD0k5.gif

It all depends on our draft imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prima Facie Freo have the best chance to improve their list from this trade period.

Hogan is the best player they have had to replace Pavlich's output. Lobb gives them a ruckman to replace Sandilands. Almost as tall but not as strong and has proved he probably is a better CHF than ruckman whilst being competent at both. Plus they pinched a whole lot of picks from us for SFA.

Draft picks are draft picks. Their true value wont be known until 2021-2023 period.

Back