Autopsy Trade 2018- The winners and losers

Who was the biggest winner from the 2018 Trade week ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Letting Polec go and Wingard go I can accept if the club has their reasons

But we got screwed because we had an agenda, that was completely visible and meant we were always going to get shafted by operators who could see what we wanted

I’m complete sold that we got screwed on the Polec deal because we were in a rush to get pick 11 to trade up to 6.

If we hold out on that deal there is zero chance that north bail on Polec. Zero.

We push it for a 1st and a second rounder for most of trade week and acquiesce to giving up pittard and 2 3rds.

We do the hawks deal as it was done and use hawks 3rd for Mayes, which going on every other deal we have done for young and ah Chee is overs

We finish with burton, Mayes , 10,11,23,30,31,35,

6 picks under 35 with 2 players.

Transforms our side.

Anything can happen, but I can't see how we can beat a West Coast, Richmond, Collingwood etc to win a premiership next year.

As long as the Tiges come here with a trio of their prime movers missing and we have enough of a lead to survive only kicking 1 goal in the second half, I'm actually pretty confident we can extend our winning streak against them to 2 games.

When the dust settles on this era and all the chief architects are gone, we are going to look back on all this and wonder whether we were drugged, brainwashed or both.

We are in a worse position than we started for premiership success next year, by a substantial way. In fact i'd say we've just put the nail in guys like Boak and Gray being premiership players.

Longer term we've got ourselves in a good position so that if we don't **** up our first round picks this time then we should be able to set ourselves up. 3 first round talents plus Burton, throw in the top 5 pick we'll probably end up with next year and it should be the basis for the next attack at a flag in 4-5 years time.

100%

How we rebuild is so important but does beg the question as to how and why we play anyone over the age of 27 other than leadership

Portmanteau

Behaviourz2Outcomz
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor
Jul 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fox Sports FC
Analysis here from extremely good, possibly best, AFL scribe Ryan Buckland:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/10/...er-observations-from-this-years-trade-period/

Whole article is good, but here is our part:

The Hawks gave up a lot for Wingard, particularly given they could’ve secured him for nothing after the 2019 season. But that’s the price you have to pay for pre-agents: they’re locked in to you a year early, cannot be poached by anyone else in the free agent market, and you get a year’s worth of extra output.

However, Port Adelaide would have been jumping for joy with the deal they made, in what looks like a very good trade period for them. The Power have taken a scalpel to this year’s trade period where they dropped a nuclear bomb in 2018, and have delivered themselves two best 22 players (albeit free agent Scott Lycett may be an awkward fit) plus three picks inside the top 20. I have a feeling Port Adelaide might not be done yet either.

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
Wingard and Polec and Pittard out
Burton and Lycett and Mayes in
5 10 15 draft

Plus

Hartlett and Marshall back
Montgomery and Schofield in
F/S selections next year
Salary cap space to burn (i assume)

I'm quietly optimistic

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Wingard and Polec and Pittard out
Burton and Lycett and Mayes in
5 10 15 draft

Plus

Hartlett and Marshall back
Montgomery and Schofield in
F/S selections next year
Salary cap space to burn (i assume)

I'm quietly optimistic

Don't forget 400m champion & under 18 medalist next generation Kai 'teal samuri' Pudney

Best single trade win — Port Adelaide

PHOTO: Chad Wingard has left the Power to join Hawthorn, but Port Adelaide may have got the better of the deal. (AAP: Joe Castro)

Port Adelaide obtained Ryan Burton, pick 15, pick 35 and Hawthorn's 2019 round four pick in exchange for Chad Wingard and a future third-round pick.

All trades have both immediate and long-term consequences, and few trades better display the difference between the two than this one.

Wingard should be the most valuable element from this deal in the AFL in 2019: possibly an All Australian contender.

However, Burton is already a good player with a long career ahead of him. He was second in the Rising Star two years ago, and should continue to improve at Alberton.

In the long run, it is likely that the combination of an excellent young player, a first-round pick and a second-round pick will produce more value than four to five years of a borderline All-Australian.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-18/who-won-and-lost-the-afl-trade-period/10389904?section=sport

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I picked Freo, i think they did really well considering they lost a player like Neale.

I think we did a lot better than we've been given credit for on this board. Spoken to quite a few non port fans out there and they are all of the same opinion that we did extremely well out of the Wingard trade. We either overrate him substantially or they underrate him, somewhere in between is the most likely answer to his true worth. Burton has been heavily underrated here, he is a gun and he wasn't the steak knives, pick 15 was the steak knives.

Pittard and hombsch were literally no loss, there time was up.

Polec is the one i'm most disappointed with but hard to compete with the Kangas on money. Could've done better out of that trade too.

Gave up too much for pick 6. But we went in with a strategy for early picks and have 3 inside 15. It makes more sense now that trade.

I don't think we've gone backwards at all. Yeah we lost 2 quality players but out major weakness last year was a lack of ruck options when Ryder went down, so we got Lycett. Hombsch is cooked so we replaced with a quality young backman in Burton, who can probably play anywhere, very versatile player. Whilst Mayes isn't anywhere near as good as Polec he fills a gap.

But the main thing this side needs is some young fresh legs, boy did we look slow and cooked towards the end of last season, we can add some quality young players who can slot in straight away with those 3 early picks. We wouldn't get that with middle to late range picks. A Rankine or Rozee could slot straight in.

I've got a feeling the new players we got in last year that everyone was waxing lyrical over but now have given up on will be a lot better next year.

I've still got faith.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The big difference is West Coast lost a few old heads and lost NN during the year. Their form was driven by the core mid aged group of their list - Shepherd, Hutchings, Lycett, McGovern, Jetta, Darling, Gaff, Yeo, Sheed, Rioli in that 23-27 group.

Our form is driven by our older players who are only going to decline. We are heavily reliant on a 31yo Ryder, a 32yo Westhoff, a 31yo Gray and a 30yo Boak. We've just said goodbye to the only two near elite players in that core age group.

Anything can happen, but I can't see how we can beat a West Coast, Richmond, Collingwood etc to win a premiership next year.
Yeah that's why we need a bounce from the likes of SPP, Marshall, Atley and Drew. Guys who have been I'm the system for a few years.

Combine them with Jonas, Howard, Dixon etc and we still have a strong group.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Best single trade win — Port Adelaide

PHOTO: Chad Wingard has left the Power to join Hawthorn, but Port Adelaide may have got the better of the deal. (AAP: Joe Castro)

Port Adelaide obtained Ryan Burton, pick 15, pick 35 and Hawthorn's 2019 round four pick in exchange for Chad Wingard and a future third-round pick.

All trades have both immediate and long-term consequences, and few trades better display the difference between the two than this one.

Wingard should be the most valuable element from this deal in the AFL in 2019: possibly an All Australian contender.

However, Burton is already a good player with a long career ahead of him. He was second in the Rising Star two years ago, and should continue to improve at Alberton.

In the long run, it is likely that the combination of an excellent young player, a first-round pick and a second-round pick will produce more value than four to five years of a borderline All-Australian.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-18/who-won-and-lost-the-afl-trade-period/10389904?section=sport

How hard is it for people to research. We dont have pick 35.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Portmanteau

Behaviourz2Outcomz
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor
Jul 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fox Sports FC
Things Port will never say : "Stuff you Hawthorn, that's what we want and you can give it to us or whistle." (Slightly cleaned up for any young children browsing this forum).

Pretty sure we demanded Burton be included in the deal. Guarantee Hawthorn would’ve tried a gazillion options to avoid that from happening.

I'm not prepared to factor magic beans into the wins and losses. As we found out with the Burgyone trade, draft picks are a futures market in which you can't judge winners and losers until several years later after the dust has settled.

So in the short term, it comes down to which players you've brought into your 22 and which players you've lost from your 22.

Essendon win big with Shiel. Hawthorn win even bigger with Wingard and Scully. Richmond win with Lynch. Out of these three clubs, only Hawthorn had to give up a player (Burton) to get these players through the door. Freo gained Hogan and Lobb but lost Neale. I still think they're a big winner because they addressed a key weakness in a huge way so will overall be stronger for the moves. And their younger mids like Cerra and Brayshaw should be able to cover for Neale in the longer term.

Biggest losers for me are clearly the two expansion clubs. GWS lose Shiel, Scully and Lobb, gain nothing much. GC lose Lynch and May, gain nothing much. Total disasters. I'd throw us in as a loser too given we lost two top liners in Polec and Wingard and only gained a bunch of mid range players, but it's not as big a disaster as GWS and GC.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
How hard is it for people to research. We dont have pick 35.

I think they were referring to the fact that we got #35 as part of the Wingard deal then on traded it to Brisbane for Sam Mayes. You are right we don't have it.

I do not think #35 is that bad for Sam Mayes provided of course we need him.
I took a look at Mayes' highlights reel and one thing he has is a long accurate kick. Whether those are required attributes under Kenny's game plan is open to question. As an example we all know Hamish Hartlett has a long accurate kick but under Ken's game plan he somehow prefers to chip the ball around or hand ball.

Maybe we should take some heart that Ken is recruiting players like Burton and Mayes who have some kicking ability? Maybe it suggests change ? Maybe I am reading more into the situation than is there?

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I'm not prepared to factor magic beans into the wins and losses. As we found out with the Burgyone trade, draft picks are a futures market in which you can't judge winners and losers until several years later after the dust has settled.

So in the short term, it comes down to which players you've brought into your 22 and which players you've lost from your 22.

Essendon win big with Shiel. Hawthorn win even bigger with Wingard and Scully. Richmond win with Lynch. Out of these three clubs, only Hawthorn had to give up a player (Burton) to get these players through the door. Freo gained Hogan and Lobb but lost Neale. I still think they're a big winner because they addressed a key weakness in a huge way so will overall be stronger for the moves. And their younger mids like Cerra and Brayshaw should be able to cover for Neale in the longer term.

Biggest losers for me are clearly the two expansion clubs. GWS lose Shiel, Scully and Lobb, gain nothing much. GC lose Lynch and May, gain nothing much. Total disasters. I'd throw us in as a loser too given we lost two top liners in Polec and Wingard and only gained a bunch of mid range players, but it's not as big a disaster as GWS and GC.

Yeah, good summary. I too think Essendon have done well as they were on the rise last year and adding Sheil to Dyson Heppel can only make them stronger. The downside for Essendon is they will not be huge players in the 2018 Draft but they probably figure they already have enough youth on their list.

it is a pity Wingard chose Hawthorn because Collingwood gave up their 2018 and 2019 first round picks to reclaim the 29 year old Dayne Beams. Collingwood obviously think Beams is the difference between finishing no2 and no1 on the ladder.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think they were referring to the fact that we got #35 as part of the Wingard deal then on traded it to Brisbane for Sam Mayes. You are right we don't have it.

I do not think #35 is that bad for Sam Mayes provided of course we need him.
I took a look at Mayes' highlights reel and one thing he has is a long accurate kick. Whether those are required attributes under Kenny's game plan is open to question. As an example we all know Hamish Hartlett has a long accurate kick but under Ken's game plan he somehow prefers to chip the ball around or hand ball.

Maybe we should take some heart that Ken is recruiting players like Burton and Mayes who have some kicking ability? Maybe it suggests change ? Maybe I am reading more into the situation than is there?
I'm heartened by the fact that we brought in 2 long accurate kicks.

It might signal a change of heart from Hinkley. At least in part forced by the rule changes.

Add in Hartlett and possibly Broadbent as well and our ball movement should be much better!

Hopefully it means we plan on having players to kick long and accurately to.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I'm heartened by the fact that we brought in 2 long accurate kicks.

It might signal a change of heart from Hinkley. At least in part forced by the rule changes.

Add in Hartlett and possibly Broadbent as well and our ball movement should be much better!

Hopefully it means we plan on having players to kick long and accurately to.

Of course the elephant in the room in all this is called Ken. It is one thing to have the players with the skill set and another to use it.

But I share your optimism.

n4nirvana

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2011
Adelaide/Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The big difference is West Coast lost a few old heads and lost NN during the year. Their form was driven by the core mid aged group of their list - Shepherd, Hutchings, Lycett, McGovern, Jetta, Darling, Gaff, Yeo, Sheed, Rioli in that 23-27 group.

Our form is driven by our older players who are only going to decline. We are heavily reliant on a 31yo Ryder, a 32yo Westhoff, a 31yo Gray and a 30yo Boak. We've just said goodbye to the only two near elite players in that core age group.

Given that age imbalance Macca, do you think the club recognised it and went for a partial reset given that we don't have much quality in the 23-27 group and below (even with Wingard and Polec)?

Gary Buckenara's summary.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...d/news-story/f6afd1f69194d51d9f88e16cd95f1fd5

PORT ADELAIDE

IN: Scott Lycett, Ryan Burton, Sam Mayes, picks 5, 15, Western Bulldogs’ 2019 fourth-round pick, North Melbourne 2019’s fourth-round pick, Adelaide’s 2019 fourth-round pick

OUT: Jared Polec, Chad Wingard, Jasper Pittard, Jack Hombsch, picks 11, 23, 30, 49, 2019 third-round pick

Draft picks: 5, 10, 15, 85

GARY BUCKENARA SAYS: An interesting one. The Power have lost some very good players in Wingard and Polec but the additions of Lycett and Burton can’t be underestimated, while they’ve got three picks in the top 15 to grab some very talented young kids. Lycett is a great get as a free agent — he will partner Paddy Ryder and can go forward as well, which will help take the pressure of Charlie Dixon and give the forward group a different look. A lot of people will think Port Adelaide are one of the big losers but I think they’ve done well considering. Definitely got overs for Wingard.

GRADE: A-

Back