List Mgmt. Trade: Allen Christensen traded to Brisbane in exchange for National Draft selection no. 21

STP18

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
May 4, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Pretty damn good game today. We need to get Aker to call him fat every week.
I didn't watch today but having just had a back operation he was always going to take a while to get going again. He had problems with his weight around draft time which is why he slid so far, so he's probably the kind of guy who would gain weight pretty effortlessly, and no doubt he'd be out of any serious training following the operation, so he'd gain some unwanted weight pretty fast. If he gets back to his best and continues to improve from there, you guys have a pretty serious player on your hands.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Sorry. Wasn't aware it was a bump. Was in my active thread list.
Wasn't a bump. Ignore bobby he's a campaigner on his 10th account for trolling opposition boards.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorry. Wasn't aware it was a bump. Was in my active thread list.

yep. I was farking filthy when he left. My favourite player at the club. Always played it tough and courageously. To see him exit in the manor in which it did, and to have got such pathetic compensation for a bloke who will be a top 30 midfielder in the competition in 5 years time, just devastating. Many Geleong supporters would probably be feeling the same way so you can understand my anger seeing Brisbane folk rejoicing in our misfortune.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
yep. I was farking filthy when he left. My favourite player at the club. Always played it tough and courageously. To see him exit in the manor in which it did, and to have got such pathetic compensation for a bloke who will be a top 30 midfielder in the competition in 5 years time, just devastating. Many Geleong supporters would probably be feeling the same way so you can understand my anger seeing Brisbane folk rejoicing in our misfortune.

At least for now we can rejoice in the fact that Christensen is playing for a team that is utter crap. If not for him, they likely wouldn't have even been able to beat Carlton today.

He looked pretty good. But his issue has always been delivering consistently over a season or more without his body failing him. With Stanley's form I'm at ease with the trade now.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
Reckon we will do OK out of this situation
I was very dubious about Stanley as a key forward but as a mobile Ruck he looks to have all the attributes
He can only get better with more match fitness. Been a long time since we had a #1 Ruck making such an impact around the Ground

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
This is looking like a win/win trade for both of us. Stanley was huge for you guys last night (Why did St Kilda give him up??) and Allen is starting to show some signs of returning to his best.
I think so - I was pretty dark on Allen for being a little bitch but Lang and Mr. G have really stood up in his absence - I thought he might have been cooked but as you say he's regaining some form and we haven't really missed him. Saint's were happy to give up Stanley because they wanted into the draft again - they got Goddard and given their list and Stanley's age I think the whole thing could be a win-win-win. Just like the Clark-Varco-Prince trade. :thumbsu:

This is looking like a win/win trade for both of us. Stanley was huge for you guys last night (Why did St Kilda give him up??) and Allen is starting to show some signs of returning to his best.

So they really swapped Christensen for Stanley...Thats a pretty solid downgrade...

Make up your mind. :eek:

Hindsights a bitch Soggy, you know that :p
I tried to tell you we'd win that trade but you were intent of trolling... or were you?

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong

I was dead against using the Christensen pick to trade for Stanley, because for all we'd seen at St Kilda, he was another second key forward that could ruck a bit. Unless he could develop into a #1 ruck, or a key defender, it was hard to see where he fit in, with Hawkins obviously occupying one forward spot, presumably Simpson or McIntosh as the nominal #1 ruck and Clark, Vardy, Walker, Stanley and perhaps Kersten and Blicavs to fight over the remaining 2-3 spots that we could dedicate to ruck/tall forwards in the senior side.

If Stanley and Blicavs can continue what they showed against Port, it could be a very exciting tandem for the next 5+ years. The downside is that players like Walker and Vardy (if he ever gets his body right) deserve a decent chance to show what they can do at AFL-level and, with Hawkins, Clark, Blicavs and Stanley pretty much entrenched now, it looks like we can only offer them the odd cameo with the current list.

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was dead against using the Christensen pick to trade for Stanley, because for all we'd seen at St Kilda, he was another second key forward that could ruck a bit. Unless he could develop into a #1 ruck, or a key defender, it was hard to see where he fit in, with Hawkins obviously occupying one forward spot, presumably Simpson or McIntosh as the nominal #1 ruck and Clark, Vardy, Walker, Stanley and perhaps Kersten and Blicavs to fight over the remaining 2-3 spots that we could dedicate to ruck/tall forwards in the senior side.

If Stanley and Blicavs can continue what they showed against Port, it could be a very exciting tandem for the next 5+ years. The downside is that players like Walker and Vardy (if he ever gets his body right) deserve a decent chance to show what they can do at AFL-level and, with Hawkins, Clark, Blicavs and Stanley pretty much entrenched now, it looks like we can only offer them the odd cameo with the current list.

Watching Stanley & Blicavs dominate the stoppages with ruck/3rd man in tactics was bloody impressive, then to both be able to become mids on the break away was even more so... As a loose comparsion it reminded me of the last year or 2 of Cox & Nic Nat doing the same thing with the opponents looking clueless how to combat it. When Wines was matched up on Blicavs and was like a deer in head lights trying to deal with him I thought Port were lost in what to do. Anyway...A damn impressive combo, and Stanley coming on is great for the Cats, as you cant do much when a player leaves your club other then try and get something decent in return...Stanley sure does look the goods

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Watching Stanley & Blicavs dominate the stoppages with ruck/3rd man in tactics was bloody impressive, then to both be able to become mids on the break away was even more so... As a loose comparsion it reminded me of the last year or 2 of Cox & Nic Nat doing the same thing with the opponents looking clueless how to combat it. When Wines was matched up on Blicavs and was like a deer in head lights trying to deal with him I thought Port were lost in what to do. Anyway...A damn impressive combo, and Stanley coming on is great for the Cats, as you cant do much when a player leaves your club other then try and get something decent in return...Stanley sure does look the goods

I was very interested when the whispers started that we were after him, especially since Clark had already been locked in. When I saw that he'd had over 20 hitouts in an AFL game precisely once (his last game for St Kilda, where Adelaide thrashed them in that statistic 50-30), I nearly threw up in my mouth. I guess that's why I watch the games from the stands, or the couch, not the coaches box.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

It is almost a changing of the guard what we are seeing from Blicavs. Revolutionary to the game perhaps? That is probably overstating things but the way Blicavs is using the ruck rules to his advantage, it's allowing Stanley to virtually have an extra 2 arms everywhere around the ground as both guys endurance is off the charts. They are still running flat out in the final stages of a game, something we don't see happen very often from guys 6ft'6 and above.
The issue for Geelong fans will be ensuring we have contingencies in plan for when the opposition try to counter this rucking partnership. I want it to be working in the finals though, that is what it's all about. Get Blicavs & Stanley inhibiting Sandilands' dominance with his taps to Mundy, Barlow & Fyfe, and Geelong is suddenly a completely different animal to what we have seen with all our previous rucks prior to Ottens retirement.

The other factor is both guys are developing at a similar rate. There is no big gap in age so we could be seeing both improve at the same rate as one another over the coming 18 months. The possibilities of what each could be doing in that time, it is a very exciting prospect. Be even more exciting if a certain Patrick Dangerfield was at the feet of those two guys.

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It is almost a changing of the guard what we are seeing from Blicavs. Revolutionary to the game perhaps? That is probably overstating things but the way Blicavs is using the ruck rules to his advantage, it's allowing Stanley to virtually have an extra 2 arms everywhere around the ground as both guys endurance is off the charts. They are still running flat out in the final stages of a game, something we don;t see happen very often from guys 6ft'6 and above.
The issue for Geelong fans will be ensuring we have contingencies in plan for when the opposition try to counter this rucking partnership. I want it to be working in the finals though, that is what it's all about. Get Blicavs and Stanley overpowering inhibiting Sandilands' dominance with his taps to Mundy, Barlow & Fyfe, and Geelong is suddenly a completely different animal to what we have seen with all our previous rucks prior to Ottens' retirement.

I might be wrong, but what I saw was Blicavs being used as a mid first who 3rd mans up, and not a ruck role. I say this because when Stanley went down I expected Blicavs to go 1st Ruck but Walker came in to ruck instead. The way the Cats are developing Blicavs is very similar to the way the swans transitioned Adam Goodes from ruck to midfield I think.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I might be wrong, but what I saw was Blicavs being used as a mid first who 3rd mans up, and not a ruck role. I say this because when Stanley went down I expected Blicavs to go 1st Ruck but Walker came in to ruck instead. The way the Cats are developing Blicavs is very similar to the way the swans transitioned Adam Goodes from ruck to midfield I think.

very good example there and I forgot about that. Your right, Walker did play the no.1 ruck role when Stanley went down. I guess teams are going to have to try and block him from going up (3rd man up), but that is the number one issue as there are not many midfielders who can block someone 198cm and 97kg from having a jump at the footy. Nathan Fyfe seems almost impossible to stop, he too is a pretty tall midfielder. Interesting to see how this transpires over the coming years.

I just hope the AFL do not change the ruling interpretations as they tend to do every few years.

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
very good example there and I forgot about that. Your right, Walker did play the no.1 ruck role when Stanley went down. I guess teams are going to have to try and block him from going up (3rd man up), but that is the number one issue as there are not many midfielders who can block someone 198cm and 97kg from having a jump at the footy. Nathan Fyfe seems almost impossible to stop, he too is a pretty tall midfielder. Interesting to see how this transpires over the coming years.

Yep... Blicavs is becoming a big dilemma for opposition due to his height. I cant remember the last time a Premo mid like Wines looked so lost as to what to do at the stoppages when he was sent to Blicavs

Yep... Blicavs is becoming a big dilemma for opposition due to his height. I cant remember the last time a Premo mid like Wines looked so lost as to what to do at the stoppages when he was sent to Blicavs
Few weeks ago Buckley & Pendles were bemused. Few weeks before that Rischitelli .

And of course Leigh Matthews comes out today saying the 3rd man up should be banned.

Right on sour grapes cue. Bet his lips would be sealed if Stanley and Blitz were at Glenferrie Rd. Whiny bitch.

That aside, if they stay healthy its gonna be one hell of a headache. I felt bad for Lobbe - chasing 2 x 200 cms mobile rucks that run ALL day, compete around the ground, kick goals, link up, ROVE each other' ruck work, kick goals off their non preferred, take pack marks and float across as 3rd man up in a marking contest….and kick goals from outside 50.

No wonder Leigh Matthews is having a sook. Never bothered him when Hale was making us look like a rabble…

Go Catters

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Yeah I can't believe the dummy spits that have come about - Jesus the campaigner has had a couple of good games and now they want to re-write the rule book.

Back