List Mgmt. Trade: Allen Christensen traded to Brisbane in exchange for National Draft selection no. 21

Remove this Banner Ad

The third Man up is a bit of a novelty tactic. I don't mind if they rule it out. Stanley and Blicavs best play (especially Stanley's) has nothing to do with third man up. He is best bursting clear on his own.

Third man up has worked well but if they get rid of it so be it.

As an aside I don't like Caddy doing it so much, more for his own development, would like to see him working on roving the rucks, not being the ruck (though it did work for him on Friday and seemed to get him into the game).

Don't remember anyone complaining when Joel Corey used to do it. Or now when Fyfe or Heppell or Mundy do it.

What, because someone is better at it than others we need a rule change? FFS, leave the game alone.

And of course Leigh Matthews comes out today saying the 3rd man up should be banned.

Right on sour grapes cue. Bet his lips would be sealed if Stanley and Blitz were at Glenferrie Rd. Whiny bitch.

That aside, if they stay healthy its gonna be one hell of a headache. I felt bad for Lobbe - chasing 2 x 200 cms mobile rucks that run ALL day, compete around the ground, kick goals, link up, ROVE each other' ruck work, kick goals off their non preferred, take pack marks and float across as 3rd man up in a marking contest….and kick goals from outside 50.

No wonder Leigh Matthews is having a sook. Never bothered him when Hale was making us look like a rabble…

Go Catters

yeah... Stretching my memory now but I think Matthews used 3rd men up with White then later Brennan. You dont change rules (aka Matt Primus ruck rule) because someone becomes so dominant at it.

commenting just on the port game, they could have sent westhoff to Blicavs as a trial...but instead sent wines to him

Last edited:

Don't remember anyone complaining when Joel Corey used to do it. Or now when Fyfe or Heppell or Mundy do it.

What, because someone is better at it than others we need a rule change? FFS, leave the game alone.
Jordans Lewis and Roughead both excel at it too.

More importantly given he's the former owner of the #3 jumper at HFC. I don't recall such complaints when Lewis does it.

The third Man up is a bit of a novelty tactic. I don't mind if they rule it out. Stanley and Blicavs best play (especially Stanley's) has nothing to do with third man up. He is best bursting clear on his own.

As an aside I don't like Caddy doing it so much, more for his own development, would like to see him working on roving the rucks, not being the ruck (though it did work for him on Friday and seemed to get him into the game).

I think it would impact us immensely if the rule was changed.
Blicavs wouldn't have the luxury of being able to influence a stoppage as he'd simply be another boring midfielder waiting for the tap from Stanley. Stanley doesn't often win that many taps either, so the chances of us winning as many clearances would likely dry right up.

More importantly given he's the former owner of the #3 jumper at HFC. I don't recall such complaints when Lewis does it.
Yeah got the most 3rd man up action last year he did.

very good example there and I forgot about that. Your right, Walker did play the no.1 ruck role when Stanley went down. I guess teams are going to have to try and block him from going up (3rd man up), but that is the number one issue as there are not many midfielders who can block someone 198cm and 97kg from having a jump at the footy. Nathan Fyfe seems almost impossible to stop, he too is a pretty tall midfielder. Interesting to see how this transpires over the coming years.

I just hope the AFL do not change the ruling interpretations as they tend to do mid-season whenever it suits them.
EFA, Bobby. :p

Yeah got the most 3rd man up action last year he did.
Hmmm where were these complaints Leigh when your former club was collecting premiership no.12?? didn't think so. Hypocrite!

And of course Leigh Matthews comes out today saying the 3rd man up should be banned.

Right on sour grapes cue. Bet his lips would be sealed if Stanley and Blitz were at Glenferrie Rd. Whiny bitch.

That aside, if they stay healthy its gonna be one hell of a headache. I felt bad for Lobbe - chasing 2 x 200 cms mobile rucks that run ALL day, compete around the ground, kick goals, link up, ROVE each other' ruck work, kick goals off their non preferred, take pack marks and float across as 3rd man up in a marking contest….and kick goals from outside 50.

No wonder Leigh Matthews is having a sook. Never bothered him when Hale was making us look like a rabble…

Go Catters
Is it a bird? Is it a plane....?
No! It's SuperBlitz and SuperStanley!!

I think it would impact us immensely if the rule was changed.
Blicavs wouldn't have the luxury of being able to influence a stoppage as he'd simply be another boring midfielder waiting for the tap from Stanley. Stanley doesn't often win that many taps either, so the chances of us winning as many clearances would likely dry right up.
Stanley roves opposition taps very nicely, Bobby. :D
I love watching him run off with "their" footy!!

Stanley roves opposition taps very nicely, Bobby. :D
I love watching him run off with "their" footy!!

It was funny seeing Stanley and Blicavs not jump at the last second and just catch the ball as Lobbe tapped it to his feet. If that's all you can do when you're rucking almost unopposed, you might as well not be there.

It was funny seeing Stanley and Blicavs not jump at the last second and just catch the ball as Lobbe tapped it to his feet. If that's all you can do when you're rucking almost unopposed, you might as well not be there.
I've seen Stanley do it before to other big rucks. Haven't noticed Blitz do it but then I'm not really watching all the time- I often am looking at one player but realise the tap's being sharked by some other player and I end up totally lost.

The way they mix it up must be really confusing for the ruckmen. :D Which ruck? Will they jump? :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is one development that could solve the AFL's main problem - congestion. instead of two big men wrestling and bringing the ball to their feet for mids to scramble over we see clear hits to a target area or even a wider target player e.g. Stanleys first goal.
More open play.
Just what they have been looking for, for 5 years now.
Love it...............

Just like Polly firing out that first 25m handball.

There is no rule against third man up, the only reason why umpires ask teams to nominate the ruck is so they know where they can safely back out of the stoppage once they have balled the ball up without rucks clattering into them.

There is no rule against third man up, the only reason why umpires ask teams to nominate the ruck is so they know where they can safely back out of the stoppage once they have balled the ball up without rucks clattering into them.
Isn't there a 1m separation rule too?

Just read the rule book - there is hardly anything written about ruck rules at all! All these commentators getting their panties in a twist can * right off.

Isn't there a 1m separation rule too?
Yes, this is why they must nominate.

Also, only rules regarding 3rd up is blocking the player intending to do so.

There shouldn't be a rule against going 3rd up, they should just allow players to block the third up player from impacting the ruck contest. That is fair IMO.

There shouldn't be a rule against going 3rd up, they should just allow players to block the third up player from impacting the ruck contest. That is fair IMO.
Correct

And the AFL won't stop the 3rd man up because it helps alleviate congestion, public enemy #1 for them.

One fun thing about the rule is that if no-one nominates the umpire does - I wonder if we will sit on that one... and mess around with it later.

The problem with this is it would create an ambiguity, as players aren't allowed to block in general around a stoppage and would be a nightmare for umpires to adjudicate and would probably be done incorrectly like the sliding rule.

Just read the rule book - there is hardly anything written about ruck rules at all! All these commentators getting their panties in a twist can **** right off.
A lot of it is implied from the prohibited contact section.

The problem with this is it would create an ambiguity, as players aren't allowed to block in general around a stoppage and would be a nightmare for umpires to adjudicate and would probably be done incorrectly like the sliding rule.
You can block within 5m of the ball, so blocking at stoppages is allowed except if trying to impact the ruck contest.

One fun thing about the rule is that if no-one nominates the umpire does - I wonder if we will sit on that one... and mess around with it later.
Ump won't throw ball up if no one nominates after he asks. If it is deemed time wasting, will pay a free against.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back