Trade and Draft Rating

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a little hard to follow

If that is right it's Brisbane's 3rd rounder and they have Essendon's
It's really annoying when the league isn't a reliable source. I believe they got a couple things wrong like this last year.

Hopefully it is Essendon as I would much prefer to deathride Essendon than Brissy, especially a Brissy with Birch & Fages.

picking up Frost = Good
picking up Patton = potentially good, small chance it could be bad
picking up Hartley = i feel like we picked up a different version of K.Brand, instead of Finlay/Hilder, also will likely delay Koschitzke's rise to prominence
drafting Day = good decision, Kemp was the other option, we could have also gone Sharp?
drafting Maginness = good, especially the late bid, i think Maginness might be first choice backup ahead of Cousins/Howe by seasons end
drafting Morris = not the best choice, but i hope he proves me wrong
rookie drafting Jeka = not the best choice, but i hope he proves me wrong
rookie cat b Pepper = good, i like him a lot, i saw most of Gipps games and he is a good talent, also performed well for Vic Country

4 good, 1 maybe and 3 below average decisions, pre-mature score, i obviously hope im wrong and they all become stars 4.5/8

What is your concern with Jeka? You had a preferred player perhaps.

I don't have a strong opinion, but everything I hear about Jeka sounds great.

He was projected as a top 10 pick in 2018.

He suffered a knee injury this year that put him out for 2 months and it is said he relies a lot on running around his opponents - he lost fitness, thus his season was not as expected and he drifted to the rookie draft.

He is highly athletic. 198cm. And he is a natural footballer.

Obviously early days but I have always liked the strategy of picking up proven players from other clubs (Frost, Hartley, Patton) for little outlay.
This strategy has been very productive for the Hawks over the years (Hale, Gibbo, Guerra, etc) as the club generally lifts their play to another level (something the Swans are also good at it has to be said).
For me i would give our draft/trading a solid 7.5/10 (provisional rating of course).

What is your concern with Jeka? You had a preferred player perhaps.

I don't have a strong opinion, but everything I hear about Jeka sounds great.

He was projected as a top 10 pick in 2018.

He suffered a knee injury this year that put him out for 2 months and it is said he relies a lot on running around his opponents - he lost fitness, thus his season was not as expected and he drifted to the rookie draft.

He is highly athletic. 198cm. And he is a natural footballer.

i dont know who projected him as a top 10 player, thats the first i have heard of this and i follow the scene, unless it was 2017 or very early 2018 i have to doubt the validity of this

he seemed to play without discomfort or concern early and late in the year, so the knee injury excuse is rubbish

he is athletic and tall and is a natural forward, the major problem is he averages less than a goal a game and he struggles in any other position on the ground

Josh Gore was unlucky not to get drafted as a small forward, good goal sense, can kick goals, clean hands, x-factor, good mark, good disposal, kicked 5 in 3 games for the Allies who were technically the worst team in the comp. kicked 10 goals in 5 games for GCS A who won 4/5 games in their nableague northern academies victory, also played in the NEAFL this year as a 17/18 year old kicking 13 goals in 11 games, this guy is actually talented, a good tackler and should have gotten pre-listed by GCS but because the AFL gave them the Darwin area as a part of their recent package they took Rosas Jnr instead. #55 in the red for GCS Neafl team, kicking 2 late goals for a win, i wish i could show more highlights, but the u18 coverage is pretty bad.

Cooper Sharman was another option as a tall forw who is a reliable shot at goal and is a nice contested mark, slightly better prospect than Jeka imo

i could name a dozen other players with a lot of talent who missed out on getting drafted, some will get picked up in the SSP period, some in the mid-season draft some will go on to have good vfl/wafl/sanfl careers, some will give up footy or play another sport, but whats the point, you would have no idea who they were.

but in conclusion, i support both Morris and Jeka and hope they play good footy and prove me wrong, now that they are at the club.

Last edited:
i dont know who projected him as a top 10 player, thats the first i have heard of this and i follow the scene, unless it was 2017 or very early 2018 i have to doubt the validity of this

he seemed to play without discomfort or concern early and late in the year, so the knee injury excuse is rubbish

he is athletic and tall and is a natural forward, the major problem is he averages less than a goal a game and he struggles in any other position on the ground

Josh Gore was unlucky not to get drafted as a small forward, good goal sense, can kick goals, clean hands, x-factor, good mark, good disposal, kicked 5 in 3 games for the Allies who were technically the worst team in the comp. kicked 10 goals in 5 games for GCS A who won 4/5 games in their nableague northern academies victory, also played in the NEAFL this year as a 17/18 year old kicking 13 goals in 11 games, this guy is actually talented, a good tackler and should have gotten pre-listed by GCS but because the AFL gave them the Darwin area as a part of their recent package they took Rosas Jnr instead. #55 in the red for GCS Neafl team, kicking 2 late goals for a win, i wish i could show more highlights, but the u18 coverage is pretty bad.

Cooper Sharman was another option as a tall forw who is a reliable shot at goal and is a nice contested mark, slightly better prospect than Jeka imo

i could name a dozen other players with a lot of talent who missed out on getting drafted, some will get picked up in the SSP period, some in the mid-season draft some will go on to have good vfl/wafl/sanfl careers, some will give up footy or play another sport, but whats the point, you would have no idea who they were.

but in conclusion, i support both Morris and Jeka and hope they play good footy and prove me wrong, now that they are at the club.

My source was the HawkTalk podcast who said Jeka was projected to go 40-70 in 2019, and in 2018 was projected a top 10 pick. They didn't name their source.

I guess when you get past pick 50 in the draft there are going to be a lot of different opinions on who should be drafted. Increasing the draft age would fix that, but it is not easy to do.

Comparing Jeka wth Cooper Sharman -
I saw a bit of Sharman play at Balwyn this year and he impressed, playing against men in a tough comp. I would have liked to have seen him picked up by someone as a rookie.

But Jeka is a far better prospect IMO.
First he's significantly taller and will grow more - to ruckman size.
He's a year younger than Sharman, looks more versatile and has that much more development in front of him (especially with Hawthorn coaches around him).
Personally, I reckon there's a lot of excitement in store to watch him develop over the next 2 years.

Twomey had Jeka in his top 10 to watch this time last year.

Comparing Jeka wth Cooper Sharman -
I saw a bit of Sharman play at Balwyn this year and he impressed, playing against men in a tough comp. I would have liked to have seen him picked up by someone as a rookie.

But Jeka is a far better prospect IMO.
First he's significantly taller and will grow more - to ruckman size.
He's a year younger than Sharman, looks more versatile and has that much more development in front of him (especially with Hawthorn coaches around him).
Personally, I reckon there's a lot of excitement in store to watch him develop over the next 2 years.
And nothing to lose if it doesn't work out. Exactly why the Rookie spots exist & I'm really excited that we're giving him a run.

Gee we cut dead wood for 3 blokes who will either be best 22 or will provide excellent depth. Add in 2 highly rated development players in Day and Finn and that is a very good piece of list surgery for incredibly little cost. Add in the warehousing of 2020 picks in a compromised draft which no one else has done and for once we are in play at the draft next year whether to be able to bid on academy players or do deals for points. Cake and eat it too stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That technically means it’s not that good at going too early.... if it got an F for it...

which means it didn’t go too early...

No it means you false started and got disqualified.

Jeka was considered to be shaping as an early pick by a few pundits:

He was considered to be top 40 by Kevin Sheehan:

Shame about GCs Academy concessions because I bet the club would have loved to take a ping at Budarick or Rosas Jr.

From Hawks article on how the draft played out for us suggesting we have Essendon's Future 3rd. I would back that in to be true.

"Hawthorn did strike a deal with Collingwood when it gave the Pies Pick 43 in exchange for Essendon's future third-round pick."

The key for me will be on how Day develops, and also goes versus some of the others available at the time like Kemp.

Pretty confident Finn will be a player, but think Day will need to be able to add a fair bit of weight and power to fulfil his promise. Hoping he ends up like Pendles more than X Ellis.

I still don’t get why we loaded up on so many draft picks next year. Even for matching bids.

Because the good picks we had this year like the one in the 40's would have been eaten by the Finn requirements, and then at the latter picks we didn't see anyone we'd rather over someone already on the list.
I guess we could have just wasted them and allowed them to expire/not get used, or the option to trade them out for more opportunity next year.
Something better than nothing was the thinking. It's pretty hard to argue against.

As others have said, missing out on Coniglio is the biggest failure from this off-season. But if you consider that we didn't actually lose anything from that failure - given we never had him to begin with and gave up nothing outside of time and energy spent courting him - then this has actually been a really great off-season for us.

We've recruited really well for needs. We've brought in players that while in isolation might seem underwhelming are actually well suited to our current system and should look a hell of a lot better than where they've come from because their individual weaknesses should be satisfactorily covered by their new teammates and the way we play. Where in this past we've looked very shallow for depth we now have more than serviceable depth available.

We also gave up so very little for such high potential imports that even if they don't pan out well long term then there's not much lost. If anything we've managed to increase the net value of our trading resources over the 2019-20 period simply through prudent trading. We've had a fruitful 2019 and yet still managed to strengthen our 2020 hand in the process.

As far as our draft is concerned, while the pick of Will Day has been controversial for the supporter base it was quite clearly the most realistic best-case scenario for our club's list management team. The more I see and hear of him the more I can understand why we went with him over other options. We likely won't know for some time whether he was the right call but with the clubs recent record with drafting I can certainly get behind them if they think he was the right choice.

Collecting Maginness as late as we did was a huge plus. I don't subscribe to the idea that he went where he did because that's where the league really ranked him. It's quite clear from the media around him that he is Hawthorn through and through. With such a strong connection to the club I wouldn't be surprised to find that other clubs were genuinely concerned that he'd be a flight risk if they managed to land him. Of course, those clubs weren't to know of any commitments we might have made to Finn regarding matching bids for him at the time. A mental advantage (I believe) we held over those interested clubs based on our conviction in not matching for Mozzie in last years draft.

We seemingly wanted to get another pick back into the top 30 of the draft in exchange for our 2020 first but a suitable deal wasn't able to be made. Unfortunate, but again like with Coniglio we didn't actually lose anything but the opportunity. We go into the 2020 off-season with plenty of resources to seek what we want. A lot can change in 12 months just as with Jeka going from a potential top 2 pick to being taken by us in the rookie draft. We may see some other player the club might be keen on going from obscurity to the first round between now and then.

All things considered, I'd give us a 7/10 at this point. There's been plenty of risk taken but the price paid has been relatively low. This off-season has strong potential to be looked back upon as a greatly pivotal one much like 2001 and 2004 were.

Does anyone else think that Frost is essentially the long term replacement for Frawley? Both players have similar attributes in that they're fast, strong and can be absolutely chaotic if given too much time to think about what they're doing. I feel that both need simple game plans or a better system to flourish.

I wonder it Hartley can play CHB and if that's something the club may have an eye out for.

Does anyone else think that Frost is essentially the long term replacement for Frawley? Both players have similar attributes in that they're fast, strong and can be absolutely chaotic if given too much time to think about what they're doing. I feel that both need simple game plans or a better system to flourish.

I wonder it Hartley can play CHB and if that's something the club may have an eye out for.

We’ll we managed to de-Melbourne Frawley, so I reckon we’re a chance with Frost ;)

I think Kosi is the long-term replacement for Frawey. Frost is the defender we wished Brand was - tall, athletic, quick and capable of playing on gorillas to free up Sicily. I definitely agree he needs a simpler system to minimise his weaknesses.

I think we're trying to spread our risk a bit. It's a difficult position to fill. Best-case Frost and Hartley thrive in our system and Kosi comes on as hoped - we then have depth and/or trade bait. Worst-case none of them are players and we're back to square one, likely having to pay big for a ready made KPD in FA/trade. Middle ground at least one of them in serviceable until Kosi is ready or an alternate option can be found.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back