List Mgmt. Trade and F/A 2020 Cont’d

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9th - Game day thread v GEEL post# 934
Direct quote:

"Stevo debacle ... trade him"
wow... you've gone through 8 pages of my posts to find that. v good investigative work by you / or maybe narcissim to prove a point. (cue your assertion that you instead just have a v good memory)

I will happily admit that - as others posters have pointed out - that in the heat of the moment after that game I wouldve indeed traded him on the spot, FOR FAIR VALUE.

I've also since heard more news about his struggles with HUB, lack of nurturing from coaches (maybe warranted), reminded myself about his Glandular fever, watched his previous highlights (big games especially standing out), have since heard from a recruiter that he is a great kid from a great family that has just lost his way a bit and needed a slap, and seen his response and interview since the trade. I.e, he loves the club and sounds like he has genuine / steeley determination to get the best out of himself going forward.

Now, as opposed to this recruiter - who is actually a pies fan - I've come to the conclusion that I wouldve kept him rather than trade out for lower picks, even with the salary cap pressure. Phillips and Adz saved enough surely, but that they should also focus on clearing other deadwood, before palming off a developing match winner, who will add strength as he gets older, is a perfect foil for De Goey to move into the midfield, has pace which we dont have in the midfield, and could move onto a wing and do damage, as sidey approaches retirement.

So unless we couldve got a pick in return to snare Hollands, McDonald, or Phillips, I think it was a mistake that we'll regret.

Where would the Hawks or Cats or Pies have been if they had've traded out Buddy, Stevie J, or Dane Swan after worse failings than Stevo at the exact same age?

side by side

Last edited:
It’s free to ask. They said no. End of story.

Did they? I haven't seen that reported, but haven't been following closely. It doesn't surprise me the AFL would treat Sydney more favourably in this situation than Collingwood.

Did they? I haven't seen that reported, but haven't been following closely. It doesn't surprise me the AFL would treat Sydney more favourably in this situation than Collingwood.

“Reported” being “ I read it on Bigfooty”.

In fact it might explain the last minute trade dump.... if Collingwood thought they’d be able to exit Beams outside the cap and then at the eleventh hour get told they couldn’t. But like everything else it’s speculation and guesswork

I don’t know how other clubs have been treated. I do recall the Swans got boned when they recruited Franklin (although the bitter and twisted Demetrieu was in charge then) and hopefully also get boned if they try and retire him early.

Last edited:

In fact it might explain the last minute trade dump.... if Collingwood thought they’d be able to exit Beams outside the cap and then at the eleventh hour get told they couldn’t. But like everything else it’s speculation and guesswork

I don’t know how other clubs have been treated. I do recall the Swans got boned when they recruited Franklin (although the bitter and twisted Demetrieu was in charge then) and hopefully also get boned if they try and retire him early.

This is the only way I'd feel we'd all accept the trade dump occurring. Beams should be outside our cap, he hasn't been a footballer for a while now, I don't know how the AFL can't see it

No mate, as in read in the news. Go have a moody somewhere else.

There seems to be a lot of people hellbent on bringing Maynard into the middle. What are we basing the fact on that he can even play in the midfield?, he's never played there and I doubt he can come into the middle next year and just dominate, he is best where he is playing now, we would be better off giving daicos and IQ time in the middle to develop for the future
have mentioned before, but his clearance and in and under work in midfield training groups has been outstanding. Just hasnt got a massive tank, and obv also so valuable locking down, then providing that rebound from defense. Still hold out hopes of him becoming a Petracca type. Just need a strong Murphy or Ruscoe type progression & replacement of him down back

Last edited:
Sydney has delisted Zac Foot, Thurlow and Robbie Fox. Also Gray but plan on picking him up in the rookie draft.

Sydney has delisted Zac Foot, Thurlow and Robbie Fox. Also Gray but plan on picking him up in the rookie draft.

Every now and then Stephen Wells pluck's a player out of nowhere, some are good and some are bad, Thurlow is one of the bad ones

Every now and then Stephen Wells pluck's a player out of nowhere, some are good and some are bad, Thurlow is one of the bad ones

And we should be ever so thankful given he was taken just two picks ahead of Grundy when they were screaming for an Ottens replacement...

Most the club are in damage control. Guy, Anderson and Walsh are clearly covering someone. Maybe themselves or ed.

Even Buckley on sen says we didn't get trade value.

Just to help you, for treloar we used 2 x picks 7 for him and a second round pick. Really all we got in return for him is a second round future pick.

Stephenson, pick 6, 3 season and a rising star welter we got a packet of chips for him.

Phillips, a 3rd round pick, pick 60 odd for A proven best 22 player. The same player our club see fit to pay in excess of half a million.

If the club are happy with that they are incompetent.

If the club thought trade value was the only determinant to whether it was a good or bad outcome then they had the option to walk away from the trade table. That they chose not to suggests other factors of greater significance at play. I thought we got shafted in those trades but to extrapolate it as some here are doing is just childishly petulant.

If the club thought trade value was the only determinant to whether it was a good or bad outcome then they had the option to walk away from the trade table. That they chose not to suggests other factors of greater significance at play. I thought we got shafted in those trades but to extrapolate it as some here are doing is just childishly petulant.
You thought we got shafted but still defend the trades.

The club couldn't back out of the trades. They pushed treloar out and Stephenson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is actually a good reminder for those criticising Hine, that even the best recruiters have mares. In 2012, Wells drafted Thurlow and Hartman, overlooking Grundy in the first round. Their 2012 was a complete bust.
In 2014 Wells drafted Cockatoo, Gregson, Gore, Cunico, Read and Lucey. Once again, complete and utter bust. I’m sure there are far more examples. Hine might not be perfect, but he’s still one of the better junior talent spotters imo, particularly in the later part of the draft. I’m happy to back him in to get us some good players this year. Just hopefully he has firm instructions to find us some talls.

I don't think they're happy with the outcome. Guy looked shattered in that interview.

The good outcome that they dreamed of was convincing Treloar to go to Gold Coast. Getting pick 5 and then trading Stepho from a position of strength rather than weakness and getting pick 11, or 5 and Stepho for 2.

They stuffed it up big time thinking they could persuade Treloar, but it far from a stretch that Treloar would want to live with his wife and kid.

I've said elsewhere I thought we got shafted in the trades but the club had the option to walk away from each of those deals if what they were getting was the sole determinant for moving these guys on.

Seriously can't believe you are trying to spin this and defend it. Grow a pair! If you swap out "aggressive" with "pathetic" or "incompetent" then your post would have some merit. Fine margins.

I see moving our best young prospect and our best midfield accumulator out the door to "refresh" the list as a very aggressive move by the club. How you feel about how that transpired is just not relevant, nor does it change anything I've said.

You can only draft what's there. Some Pundits think all the good talls will be gone unless we upgrade our picks.
Truth. But as you said, there are ways around that, like upgrading picks. Just like GWS did last year with Riccardi (stab through the heart...)

Don’t understand Swans delisting someone quick like Zac foot only two years in, when they need kids and their academy kids will take up most of their picks in the 30s and 40s this year..

Averaged 17 in the NEAFL. Has pace. Went at 78% disposal efficiency in his two senior games. Might be worth a look as a DFA or rookie.

How can you not know? Getting rid of Treloar with 5 years on his contract AND still paying him is clearly a result of an almighty stuff up. Add to that the woeful compensation received.

I can’t understand how anyone could be satisfied with that.

By your own ruminations they're actually managing the TPP but for anyone to say they know 1 way or the other of the scant evidence you offer is just wrong.

DECISION: Keep the list together and bring in Beams. Done.
DECISION: Retain all of Grundy, JDG and Moore. Done or in the process of being done.
DECISION: Retain Checkers and Daicos. Done.
DECISION: Retire Beams. Done or in the process of being done.
DECISION: Reposition the club to (I guess) allow for the increased salaries of developing players and attract future FA's and trades. Done.

Whether we're paying a bit of Treloar's 2021 salary is irrelevant. We did the same for Shaw. I'm sure other clubs do it all the time and that we've been on the receiving end of similar assistance.

Try being a bit more pragmatic, take the emotion out of it.

Who did Richmond bring in this year? Lost Higgins for a pick upgrade and 1 of their emerging fringe players for a future 3rd. There are consequences for keeping players like Lynch and Dusty on big salaries. There are consequences for keeping Grundy, Moore and JDG.

Last edited:
Don’t understand Swans delisting someone quick like Zac foot only two years in, when they need kids and their academy kids will take up most of their picks in the 30s and 40s this year..

Averaged 17 in the NEAFL. Has pace. Went at 78% disposal efficiency in his two senior games. Might be worth a look as a DFA or rookie.

You may have nailed it in your first sentence, averages only 17 in the NEAFL

I see moving our best young prospect and our best midfield accumulator out the door to "refresh" the list as a very aggressive move by the club. How you feel about how that transpired is just not relevant, nor does it change anything I've said.
a forced fire sale due to mismanagement is NOT an aggressive strategy to refresh the list....

You thought we got shafted but still defend the trades.

The club couldn't back out of the trades. They pushed treloar out and Stephenson.

LOL, now you're just being funny. Enjoy your tanty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back