List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it all depends on how soon we think the turn around is. If we have a good 2021 and believe that we can really contend in 2022... and a Taberner type is a key piece to addressing an enduring weakness (tall targets and more marks inside 50)... then it might be worth it.

If however we bottom it this year as many expect... then yeah, paying for a 28 year old forward is not worth it

What are you prepared to offer him? I’m thinking it’s $800k to get him out because if he backs it up Fremantle are offering $600k.

Only a thought, but is he actually that much of an improvement on Cox? A comparison of 2020 numbers 1.8 v 1.3 (goals), 1.8 v .8 (I50’s), 10.4 v 6.3 (possessions) and 5.8 v 3.2 (marks). If we then consider what we get from Cox as a ruckman and his efficiency in front of goal v Tabener’s it narrows the gap.

Let’s say we remain neutral in 2021 so 12-10 between 5-10 on the laddeer. Is the 2018 version of Cox taking us the next step? Or are we better off investing a little less in say a Sam Taylor who is a definite improvement on Roughead and only 22? Or a little more in Josh Kelly or Zac Merrett to replace Pendles?

What are you prepared to offer him? I’m thinking it’s $800k to get him out because if he backs it up Fremantle are offering $600k.

Only a thought, but is he actually that much of an improvement on Cox? A comparison of 2020 numbers 1.8 v 1.3 (goals), 1.8 v .8 (I50’s), 10.4 v 6.3 (possessions) and 5.8 v 3.2 (marks). If we then consider what we get from Cox as a ruckman and his efficiency in front of goal v Tabener’s it narrows the gap.

Let’s say we remain neutral in 2021 so 12-10 between 5-10 on the laddeer. Is the 2018 version of Cox taking us the next step? Or are we better off investing a little less in say a Sam Taylor who is a definite improvement on Roughead and only 22? Or a little more in Josh Kelly or Zac Merrett to replace Pendles?

Taberner hasn't proved anything yet, he had an average year last year, you are spot on, not the player we should be chasing

Anything over $600k for a sub 2 goal forward is too much. $600k is probably too much tbh.

That’s my point, if we finish top 6-8 then topping up for 2022 with a decent forward might be feasible.... even if it’s at 700-800k a year

Taberner took 36 marks inside 50 last season. 2 more than Dixon. 11 more than our best in Mihocek.

And we’ve moved on Stephenson (19 marks inside 50 in 2020) so I foresee problems finding viable targets in our forward line for a while to come

Last edited:
Taberner hasn't proved anything yet, he had an average year last year, you are spot on, not the player we should be chasing

36 marks inside 50 in 2020 is something we were desperately lacking.. and I reckon will be lacking viable targets inside 50 in 2021 too

Henry, McMahon too young. W Kelly shown nothing so far to suggest he’ll take 30 marks a year inside 50

Anything over $600k for a sub 2 goal forward is too much. $600k is probably too much tbh.

Agreed. But if we finish top 8 this year and need a target inside 50 for 2022 is what we need. Taberner comes cheaper than any of the premier forwards in the game. Would love to land B King but that ain’t going to happen, so need to be realistic about who’s available and the salary given we have had cap issues

Not many KPF averaged 2 goals a game last year.

Any that did... or any young jets on the way up like King or Naughton... will cost 1mill a year or thereabouts to prise away... probably money we don’t have

Last edited:
Agreed. But if we finish top 8 this year and need a target inside 50 for 2022 is what we need. Taberner comes cheaper than any of the premier forwards in the game. Would love to land B King but that ain’t going to happen, so need to be realistic
I’ll be honest I flat out don’t rate Taberner. He has his moments, but overall he’s underwhelming for the physical tools he has at his disposal, and there’s no guarantee that he’d improve our forward marking. He benefited a lot from Freo’s much improved ball movement under Longmuir last year, whereas ours regressed badly (coincidence?) Even if we did finish top 8 this year, it feels like there would be better options available than bringing in an ok-ish tall forward on above the odds money, who’s approaching 30, when it’s pretty clear that we’re now recruiting for the future rather than the present.

36 marks inside 50 in 2020 is something we were desperately lacking.. and I reckon will be lacking viable targets inside 50 in 2021 too

Henry, McMahon too young. W Kelly shown nothing so far to suggest he’ll take 30 marks a year inside 50

It was a strange old season and I think this year will we will be able to make a better assessment of Taberner, this year will be different with less distraction etc. I agree about Kelly, there is a lot of hope there for someone who has only played one game and an average one at that before he got injured.

Im pretty confident that’s what the market will be if he maintains his form of 2020. I’m leaning your way, but there’s a buyers premium and there’s never been a better time to be a decent KPF...

That’s my point, if we finish top 6-8 then topping up for 2022 with a decent forward might be feasible.... even if it’s at 700-800k a year

Taberner took 36 marks inside 50 last season. 2 more than Dixon. 11 more than our best in Mihocek.

And we’ve moved on Stephenson (19 marks inside 50 in 2020) so I foresee problems finding viable targets in our forward line for a while to come

Of course it’s feasible. The question is whether it bridges the gap? I don’t think it improves us enough. Again including Cox in it he doesn’t play if we brought Tabener in so there’s another basket of marks I50 that need to be replaced...

Nah his 2020 was better than average.

His numbers in a normalised year across 22 matches would be 50 goals, 100+ marks, 50+ contested marks and 250+ possessions all of which are ranked elite by position. He puts up those numbers in 2021 for a finals bound Collingwood then he makes the AA squad, IMO.

If he doesn’t back it up it’s obviously a no, but if he does you have the discussion. For me it’s around whether those numbers are that much better than what we’d get out of Cox if he backs it up.

FWIW Cox’s normalised numbers across 22 matches are 35 goals, 80+ marks and 50+ contested marks.

Im pretty confident that’s what the market will be if he maintains his form of 2020. I’m leaning your way, but there’s a buyers premium and there’s never been a better time to be a decent KPF...

Of course it’s feasible. The question is whether it bridges the gap? I don’t think it improves us enough. Again including Cox in it he doesn’t play if we brought Tabener in so there’s another basket of marks I50 that need to be replaced...

Nah his 2020 was better than average.

His numbers in a normalised year across 22 matches would be 50 goals, 100+ marks, 50+ contested marks and 250+ possessions all of which are ranked elite by position. He puts up those numbers in 2021 for a finals bound Collingwood then he makes the AA squad, IMO.

If he doesn’t back it up it’s obviously a no, but if he does you have the discussion. For me it’s around whether those numbers are that much better than what we’d get out of Cox if he backs it up.

FWIW Cox’s normalised numbers across 22 matches are 35 goals, 80+ marks and 50+ contested marks.

He will be 30 next year, I don't think he faced anywhere near the Pressure he will face this year, as I said a lot of teams just going through the motions. At 30 we would be better off trying to develop a KPF or get one a bit younger going forward, if we were in a Premiership window over the next 2 or 3 years it would be a different story maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, but I think a kick out of the grand final flattered how good we were in 2019.
I’d go one further and say making the GF flattered us in 2018. I think a key forward like Lynch improves us to that level we thought we were at though.

So starting midfield of Grundy, Petracca, Bontempelli and DeGoey in 2023. I could get on board with that.

Hehe.

With a Daicos on either wing. Giddy up.

Do you think that will last though? I reckon there's never been a time where KPFs are less influential and the market will soon reflect that.

I’d go one further and say making the GF flattered us in 2018. I think a key forward like Lynch improves us to that level we thought we were at though.
True we were average in 2018 but made the most of an easy draw and then outperformed in finals.

We were much better in 2019 but sunk a little in finals, PF to be precise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back