List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trading out our first rounder last year and still not having enough points for Daicos is a disgrace. From my understanding we will have a massive haircut on on 2022 first too.

I haven't heard of Dib, when is a bid likely to come?

Isn't taking 2 top 2 picks accelerated rebuilding?

The scenario of if we finished last and kept the pick would result in both pick 1 and 2 coming to us. 100% they would make that work if it fell that way.

We also had some stepho compo.
How would we have pick 1 and 2? We only have one pick, say pick 2 atm, which gets used on daicos in any event, it’s gone. Where is the second top 2 pick coming from?

Trading out our first rounder last year and still not having enough points for Daicos is a disgrace. From my understanding we will have a massive haircut on on 2022 first too.

We won’t have to touch 2022 first and second. There’s ways to get points. And as mentioned adel/freo likely to drop a bit,
Just need dogs to do the same...

How would we have pick 1 and 2? We only have one pick, say pick 2 atm, which gets used on daicos in any event, it’s gone. Where is the second top 2 pick coming from?

Mate if we finish last (in that scenario) we have pick 1.
We take say J.Horne at 1.
Daicos gets bid at pick 2 by norf.
We match the bid which is 2517 points minus 20% discount leaving 2015 points needed.

We then have
Pick 1 Collingwood J.Horne
Pick 2 Collingwood J.Daicos bid match North Melb.
Pick 3 Rochelle North Melb. Etc

We won’t have to touch 2022 first and second. There’s ways to get points. And as mentioned adel/freo likely to drop a bit,
Just need dogs to do the same...

It will depend on if Daicos goes 1 which is 3000 points or 2400 after discount.
Think we have 1400, so as you can see we need either pick 17 or a group of picks low enough to get 1000 and then must draft that amount of players at end of draft or go 2022 deficit.
Screenshot_20210503-133841_Drive.jpg

Hopefully we'll after pick 20 or we lose access to him. He is playing well in the vfl a good pick if we can get him

Mate if we finish last (in that scenario) we have pick 1.
We take say J.Horne at 1.
Daicos gets bid at pick 2 by norf.
We match the bid which is 2517 points minus 20% discount leaving 2015 points needed.

We then have
Pick 1 Collingwood J.Horne
Pick 2 Collingwood J.Daicos bid match North Melb.
Pick 3 Rochelle North Melb. Etc

Nope - GWS have our 1st pick - we traded it last year. So if we finish last GWS end up with pick 1 .... and maybe they nominate Daicos. How ironic would that be :oops:

Nightmare scenario if we lose.

I’d argue that internally we’re currently facing the nightmare scenario, but externally yeah this is a scary one.

My overall take is that the wins will come and we aren’t as bad as Adelaide, Hawthorn or North over the course of a 22 Rd season. The problem is the way we’re going you just can’t see the spike in effort that a bottom 4 team normally produces to get an upset win. If I were a coach that would be what’s scaring me most.

Nope - GWS have our 1st pick - we traded it last year. So if we finish last GWS end up with pick 1 .... and maybe they nominate Daicos. How ironic would that be :oops:

He’s talking about a scenario where it wasn’t traded.

Nah if we finish last it means we would of had pick 1 and 2 in the draft and GWS get pick 1 for 2 picks mid to late 20s o_O

Could of matched Daicos after we took someone at pick 1.
That will make the trade look worse, but it won't actually make it a worse trade. Trades need to be judged from the possibilities at the time. I think it was a crap trade at the time. From our current position, which is without any of our draft picks, it doesn't matter where we finish, except for a very small benefit if we bottom out in the preseason and rookie draft.

It will depend on if Daicos goes 1 which is 3000 points or 2400 after discount.
Think we have 1400, so as you can see we need either pick 17 or a group of picks low enough to get 1000 and then must draft that amount of players at end of draft or go 2022 deficit.
View attachment 1117792
We currently have 1,642 points.

Jungle drums are still beating for Merrett.

Not a massive fan but he's A grade quality.
Could have just kept Treloar.. haha..

Ive heard Saad and Fantasia left, with a major reason being, the disruptive influence of D. Shiel.
Apparently Merrett also doesn’t get along with him, so jungle drums could be right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah if you re-read it we are talking about if we kept it.
The way we have devalued our own firsts when we have a highly rated NGA prospect or father son has been absolutely painful to watch. We surely wouldnt have given up 2 firsts for Beams if we didnt have Quaynor coming in and we surely wouldnt have traded a first for 2 seconds a year in advance if we didnt have Daicos coming. Really is short sighted/devaluing ones own assets and Brisbane/GWS have capitalised on it.

That will make the trade look worse, but it won't actually make it a worse trade. Trades need to be judged from the possibilities at the time. I think it was a crap trade at the time. From our current position, which is without any of our draft picks, it doesn't matter where we finish, except for a very small benefit if we bottom out in the preseason and rookie draft.

Its the nightmare scenario as discussed originally.

Any interest in Merrett would have been floated before Wright came to the club... so take it with a grain of salt.

I think clubs are looking at players in their penultimate FA season thinking they're gettable. Hence the Merrett interest given the players departing. Doesn't necessarily mean you can get the job done. Merrett is a RFA this year though so I doubt we'd be without interest. Not too much else in the 2021 FA list. Those currently <30 are as follows:

ClubCurrent AgeStatus
D TaliaAdelaide29RFA
J KellyAdelaide26RFA
M CrouchAdelaide26RFA
P CrippsCarlton26RFA
M GleesonEssendon26RFA
Z MerrettEssendon25RFA
J KolodjashnijGeelong25RFA
S DayGold Coast28UFA
S LemmensGold Coast26RFA
J KellyGWS26RFA
M BuntineGWS27UFA
T O'BrienHawthorn27RFA
S AtleyNth Melb28UFA
T DumontNth Melb25RFA
J BillingsSt Kilda25RFA
L DunstanSt Kilda26RFA
S RossSt Kilda27RFA
G HewettSydney25RFA
L ParkerSydney28RFA
M BontempelliWB25RFA

There are a couple there I couldn't see moving (Bont, Cripps) but with a likely slush fund we'll need to decide if we target 1 or wait till 2022 and chase a Petracca and/or Touk Miller type. Or do we do both?

I agree in theory, but you are on track to be in a huge deficit for Daicos as it is. Surely you'd need to trade someone out to be looking at potential targets. Who of value do you think the Pies could stand to lose?

We been use for a Long Time having very late draft picks in Drafts. So Why Change ;)

Beams was paid out under last years cap. Under standard rules and guidelines we can’t pay a player who is no longer contracted to the club. If we were to pay out this year we would have had to keep Beams on the rookie list like Sydney did with Tippett after he retired. From my understanding, we appealed to the AFL to let us spread out his payments and were knocked back, which is a large part of why last years salary dumps became necessary.

It seems pretty ordinary that the AFL forced the issue. You think of the leeway handed to clubs like Sydney with Tippett and you'd have hoped they'd have had some understanding given the circumstances of Beams departure, and Langdons early retirement. Reasonable discretion could be applied. It seems the rules are flexible if you're north of the Murray, but be damned if you're not.

It's a bizarre one, as poaching Merrett would probably end up costing more than we saved on Treloar. If we were paying 900,000 but still have to pay 300000, you'd think that the 600000 wouldn't be enough to pay the overs necessary to poach Merrett.

True. I guess the carrot ditching Treloar was avoiding AFL sanctions for salary cap breaches. Should have been De Goey we ditched to North years ago. Would have got a pick then too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back