List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tongues were wagging at Miss Colombia cafe in Middle Park last Monday, where the Collingwood coaching group was having a meeting.

Outside, Zach Merrett, the No. 1 free agent, was walking past with his golden retriever Maya, getting some looseness in the muscles after a combative game against the Blues, and. Ed Curnow, the day before.

Eyes darted and heads nodded as the skinny lattes were being poured when a member of the Magpies mob got up and made a beeline for Merrett.

Could it have been an accidental unofficial free agent chat, you know, why let the moment pass?

“Nuh, it was just Hayden Skipworth,” Merrett says.

“He was at Essendon for about 10 years. It was quite funny. I didn’t go in, but it was the coaches meeting.’’

That sort of potential subterfuge and accompanying scuttlebutt will hound Merrett this season.

He is out of contract at season’s end and is thought to be gettable by rivals.

And he is gettable.

Because, he says, he’s not sure if he will be at the Bombers next year.

“I haven’t made up my mind yet,’’ he says on Wednesday morning, back outside his favourite cafe.

I still Pissed that Richmond Picked him 1 Pick before us.

I was a Huge Bolton Fan in his Draft Year
So were Collingwood. He was at 11 on our draft board. Rendell said we were shattered when Richmond selected him.

So were Collingwood. He was at 11 on our draft board. Rendell said we were shattered when Richmond selected him.

Buckley would have played him in the pocket and then traded him for peanuts anyway.

If he was at Collingwood no way he would have become the player he is.

Buckley would have played him in the pocket and then traded him for peanuts anyway.

If he was at Collingwood no way he would have become the player he is.
He started as a forward pocket at Richmond, as do many skinny midfielders who have some forward craft. I have no issue with Buckley getting some criticism, but there would have been no issue if we’d recruited him and played him forward initially, and given our propensity to hold on to players much longer than we should I couldn’t see him being traded for nothing either.

Bolton/McLarty
Bontempelli/Scharenberg
😭 could not have turned out anymore dire than that, although the Bont went at 4 and we had pick 6. Imagine if we’d bundled pick 6 & 10 that year and got ourselves into the top 1-4 picks...Bont would be captain of the Pies right now.

Eddie was happy to sprout that we are the biggest club in the land. If that was the case, why (if what Rendell says is true), have/do we have such an understaffed recruiting division?

It seems the club operationally has not given us the best opportunity to be successful.

Has it been moving into ‘new’ sports like netball has been a drain on finances without the expected rewards coming through?

Or did the board lose focus on what it takes to have sustainable success on the footy field?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie was happy to sprout that we are the biggest club in the land. If that was the case, why (if what Rendell says is true), have/do we have such an understaffed recruiting division?

It seems the club operationally has not given us the best opportunity to be successful.

Has it been moving into ‘new’ sports like netball has been a drain on finances without the expected rewards coming through?

Or did the board lose focus on what it takes to have sustainable success on the footy field?

Yeah, you’ve got to wonder.

How much the unnecessary pursuits of netball, wheel chair basketball, etc cost the club...

a club that has now turned its back on pokies revenue (which was 6million in 2018) for woke reasons. Trading millions in revenue each year for one weeks good PR in the newspapers

The club then posts a 1.8 million dollar loss in 2020, reduces the number of roles in the footy dept

... not everyone has connected the dots on this.

North Melbourne with its 38k membership numbers can make a profit 12 of the last 13 years but Collingwood can’t?

Yeah, you’ve got to wonder.

How much the unnecessary pursuits of netball, wheel chair basketball, etc cost the club...

a club that has now turned its back on pokies revenue (which was 6million in 2018) for woke reasons. Trading millions in revenue each year for one weeks good PR in the newspapers

The club then posts a 1.8 million dollar loss in 2020, reduces the number of roles in the footy dept

... not everyone has connected the dots on this.

North Melbourne with its 38k membership numbers can make a profit 12 of the last 13 years but Collingwood can’t?
You realise that Collingwood made an operating profit of over $1m last year right? The only reason we made a supposed loss was depreciation of our significantly better facilities and assets.
You also failed to mention that North Melbourne have been paying off significant debt for the past decade, which they still haven’t fully paid off, and they also got out of pokies, before Collingwood did.

After the Petracca deal we may be able bend them over like we were done in the last trade period 🤣

It would be a nice outcome, but the Bulldogs, Geelong and St Kilda are next in line on that front. Richards, Dunkley and Lipinski/ Narkle, Clarke and Stephens/ Sinclair, Bytel and Billings should be on our radar.

You realise that Collingwood made an operating profit of over $1m last year right? The only reason we made a supposed loss was depreciation of our significantly better facilities and assets.
You also failed to mention that North Melbourne have been paying off significant debt for the past decade, which they still haven’t fully paid off, and they also got out of pokies, before Collingwood did.

The point still stands Dr Phil. The club has thrown away a valuable revenue stream and under invests in its core business in favour of side pursuits like netball

It would be a nice outcome, but the Bulldogs, Geelong and St Kilda are next in line on that front. Richards, Dunkley and Lipinski/ Narkle, Clarke and Stephens/ Sinclair, Bytel and Billings should be on our radar.

Of those, Nakles the one for me.
Has got speed, strength x-factor, and versatile (mid/ crumbing fwd) so I can’t understand why he’s not a regular in the Geel side. Is it application?
But I’d love to snag him.

The point still stands Dr Phil. The club has thrown away a valuable revenue stream and under invests in its core business in favour of side pursuits like netball
Pretty sure it invests as much as allowed within the soft cap. Side pursuits are irrelevant

Pretty sure there was a rumour or news article (can’t remember) that stated Neil Balme specifically took Collingwood intel to Richmond and took Shai Bolton.
Correct weight.

I'm a Mason Cox fan and I felt he's performed well before getting dropped and I think he definitely would've been useful against us with Moore staying down back to help quell Kennedy, Darling and Allen. However he hasn't been setting world on fire in the VFL since getting dropped and seems to have a fallout with Bucks.

His career at Collingwood will be buried if you recruit a proper KPF like Sam Weideman who's out of favor at the Dees and the final nail in the coffin for him is if you also recruit another KPF/Ruck type such as Josh Jenkins (despite being 33 next year),Callum Coleman Jones, Mabior Chol or even Majak Daw in addition to also recruiting Sam Weideman. The trades can happen with future picks so you can bid for Daicos in this years draft and you can get some extra points for Daicos. Will be a good thing for the club.

It's like what happened with a gun ruck in Braydon Preuss at the Dees who wanted to play the Fwd/Ruck role like Cox is doing now. Getting Luke Jackson at pick 3 buried Preuss's career there and the imminent arrival of Ben Brown was the final nail in the coffin as Brown can also chop out in the ruck as he's done at Norf when Goldstein was resting.

Another example is with Alex Witherden and why he wanted to come to us. They wanted Rich to kick from defense and he saw the writing on the wall when they went after injury prone Grant Birchall and Callum AhChee two good HBF/Wing types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back