List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure there was a rumour or news article (can’t remember) that stated Neil Balme specifically took Collingwood intel to Richmond and took Shai Bolton.
Gee that hurts....can not believe how much we get f over in most facets of the industry lately, albeit self inflicted. When will we ever get our turn at greatness........

I want Weid but think it would take a high 2nd and I dunno how we get that. I'd be looking at Richards and Fiorini for junk picks.

Could we get Kelly from Adelaide is a RFA? Think he would fit in nicely and give us some defensive cover allowing IQ to go wing.

Anyone who suggest we force Sidey out should have a deep hard think, you don't build culture by shafting club legends.

Sier and Cox I could see leaving for cheap picks. I could see the suns having a dabble for Mason.

I'd be stoked if we managed to bring in Richards, Weids, J. Kelly, Daics and Dibs without losing anything catastrophic.

I'm a Mason Cox fan and I felt he's performed well before getting dropped and I think he definitely would've been useful against us with Moore staying down back to help quell Kennedy, Darling and Allen. However he hasn't been setting world on fire in the VFL since getting dropped and seems to have a fallout with Bucks.

His career at Collingwood will be buried if you recruit a proper KPF like Sam Weideman who's out of favor at the Dees and the final nail in the coffin for him is if you also recruit another KPF/Ruck type such as Josh Jenkins (despite being 33 next year),Callum Coleman Jones, Mabior Chol or even Majak Daw in addition to also recruiting Sam Weideman. The trades can happen with future picks so you can bid for Daicos in this years draft and you can get some extra points for Daicos. Will be a good thing for the club.

It's like what happened with a gun ruck in Braydon Preuss at the Dees who wanted to play the Fwd/Ruck role like Cox is doing now. Getting Luke Jackson at pick 3 buried Preuss's career there and the imminent arrival of Ben Brown was the final nail in the coffin as Brown can also chop out in the ruck as he's done at Norf when Goldstein was resting.

Another example is with Alex Witherden and why he wanted to come to us. They wanted Rich to kick from defense and he saw the writing on the wall when they went after injury prone Grant Birchall and Callum AhChee two good HBF/Wing types.
Darcy Cameron has already overtaken him as the 2nd ruck/forward so we don’t need another to burry his career.

I want Weid but think it would take a high 2nd and I dunno how we get that. I'd be looking at Richards and Fiorini for junk picks.

Could we get Kelly from Adelaide is a RFA? Think he would fit in nicely and give us some defensive cover allowing IQ to go wing.

Anyone who suggest we force Sidey out should have a deep hard think, you don't build culture by shafting club legends.

Sier and Cox I could see leaving for cheap picks. I could see the suns having a dabble for Mason.

I'd be stoked if we managed to bring in Richards, Weids, J. Kelly, Daics and Dibs without losing anything catastrophic.
Let’s step back for a second, Weideman at the end of the year will be a 25 years old who’s played 6 years in the afl for 44 games (if he doesn’t play any games this year) and averages 1 goal a game, he’s out of contract and can’t get a game.

Talk of him being a high second are greatly exaggerated. We’re not buying a new car, the fact he was drafted in the top 10 currently means SFA.

If Melbourne want to get value for him no matter which club he moves too if he moves, I’d suggest playing him.

Let’s step back for a second, Weideman at the end of the year will be a 25 years old who’s played 6 years in the afl for 44 games (if he doesn’t play any games this year) and averages 1 goal a game, he’s out of contract and can’t get a game.

Talk of him being a high second are greatly exaggerated. We’re not buying a new car, the fact he was drafted in the top 10 currently means SFA.

If Melbourne want to get value for him no matter which club he moves too if he moves, I’d suggest playing him.
He's a key forward who has dominated at AFL level in the past, is kicking bags in the VFL and would be playing in most other teams at the moment. He'd get a 2nd easily.

He's a key forward who has dominated at AFL level in the past, is kicking bags in the VFL and would be playing in most other teams at the moment. He'd get a 2nd easily.
He’s kicked multiple goals in 15 of 44 games, the biggest haul of 3 which he’s managed 3 times. Dominating AFL is over the top.

I wasn’t necessarily saying he’s not a second rounder, I firmly believe he’s no where near a “high second rounder” which I would say is in the vicinity of 19-25, when you factor in the above, plus he’s out of contract, not currently getting a game, and he hasn’t consistently got games in 6 years in the AFL system, which lets face it what has been a poor club for 4 of those years, it’s not like he’s been competing with anyone.

WHERE DOES THIS LEAVE WEIDEMAN?

Luke Beveridge hates being asked about Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, and Simon Goodwin is fast getting there when it comes to the topic of Sam Weideman.

However, just like the Western Bulldogs’ No.1 pick, Weideman’s continued non-selection – completely understandable, by the way – is a genuine talking point.

Given the concern about the Demons’ tall stocks mere months ago, it’s remarkable that he can’t get a game despite booting 14 goals in three weeks and averaging 15 disposals and eight marks.

There was a race between Weideman and Brown to make the senior side after returning in the VFL at the same time, and Melbourne chose Brown.

That would be Weideman’s biggest gripe, because little argument can be made for removing the in-form Tom McDonald from attack, let alone the team.

Luke Jackson is too valuable as the mobile relief ruckman, too.

Goodwin noted he’d had “great” chats with Weideman about his predicament and how the 23-year-old knew his leg stress fracture came at a “poor” time for his season prospects.

A follow-up question on Weideman drew a sterner response.

“It’s not about individuals – this is about a team – and at the moment, the team functions the way it functions,” the coach said.

“Sam understands that, as does every player at our club.

“There are a lot of players playing in the VFL at the moment who are AFL ready, and they’ve got to continue to improve their game and make sure they’re ready for when that opportunity comes.”

It was a perfectly acceptable answer to a delicate situation.

The issue for the Demons is that Weideman’s 23 and not 20, is ready to go and they’ve prioritised their veteran recruit over the 2015 No.9 pick, which is their prerogative and the results speak for themselves.

There are clubs out there screaming for a quality key forward – think Collingwood, Gold Coast and North Melbourne – that will surely already be in Weideman’s agent Ben Williams’ ears.

The inevitable offers might be worth considering, too, since re-signing Christian Petracca, Clayton Oliver and Christian Salem wouldn’t have come cheap.

I'm a Mason Cox fan and I felt he's performed well before getting dropped and I think he definitely would've been useful against us with Moore staying down back to help quell Kennedy, Darling and Allen. However he hasn't been setting world on fire in the VFL since getting dropped and seems to have a fallout with Bucks.

His career at Collingwood will be buried if you recruit a proper KPF like Sam Weideman who's out of favor at the Dees and the final nail in the coffin for him is if you also recruit another KPF/Ruck type such as Josh Jenkins (despite being 33 next year),Callum Coleman Jones, Mabior Chol or even Majak Daw in addition to also recruiting Sam Weideman. The trades can happen with future picks so you can bid for Daicos in this years draft and you can get some extra points for Daicos. Will be a good thing for the club.

It's like what happened with a gun ruck in Braydon Preuss at the Dees who wanted to play the Fwd/Ruck role like Cox is doing now. Getting Luke Jackson at pick 3 buried Preuss's career there and the imminent arrival of Ben Brown was the final nail in the coffin as Brown can also chop out in the ruck as he's done at Norf when Goldstein was resting.

Another example is with Alex Witherden and why he wanted to come to us. They wanted Rich to kick from defense and he saw the writing on the wall when they went after injury prone Grant Birchall and Callum AhChee two good HBF/Wing types.
He's become depth. Darcy Cameron is performing above Cox's par and the club understandably don't want to play both of them.

Weideman, Richards and Kelly?

Come on man, Eddie burned us with that level of sentimentality in getting Beams back. We need to move into the 21st century.

I remembering saying almost exactly the same thing about Witts when we traded him after a year of banging down 60 hitouts a game and getting 15-20 disposals in the VFL and being kept out by Grundy who had his break out year at the same time. We got a couple of 3rds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weideman, Richards and Kelly?

Come on man, Eddie burned us with that level of sentimentality in getting Beams back. We need to move into the 21st century.
To be fair, Richards and Weideman would likely be solid additions, regardless of their surnames, and at reasonable prices.
No idea why we’d want to get Jake Kelly though. We could have just kept Scharenberg if we wanted his type.

Not saying we should trade for him given he is 28, but it just goes to show how well the Doggies are going when Mitch Wallis can’t get a game.
Hes a honest battler obviously not the most talented bloke playing but makes the most of his chances.

not the same can be said for our smalls.

I remembering saying almost exactly the same thing about Witts when we traded him after a year of banging down 60 hitouts a game and getting 15-20 disposals in the VFL and being kept out by Grundy who had his break out year at the same time. We got a couple of 3rds.

the difference is Witts didn’t have the profile that Weideman has, nor was he a KPF, who command a premium.

I think there’s quite a bit of romance about the Weid in terms of what he offers at senior level. He’s had 1 game of 20+ possessions and kicked 3 goals on 3 occasions.

May well have more upside than Cox but at this stage it’s not much of a gain.

He’s kicked multiple goals in 15 of 44 games, the biggest haul of 3 which he’s managed 3 times. Dominating AFL is over the top.

I wasn’t necessarily saying he’s not a second rounder, I firmly believe he’s no where near a “high second rounder” which I would say is in the vicinity of 19-25, when you factor in the above, plus he’s out of contract, not currently getting a game, and he hasn’t consistently got games in 6 years in the AFL system, which lets face it what has been a poor club for 4 of those years, it’s not like he’s been competing with anyone.

Has had some injury issues which have impacted his availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back