List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t see the AFL letting B King go at the end of 2022 without some sort of extra outside the cap payment being offered to him to stay.

Would be another nail in the coffin up there. At a time when Tassie are pushing hard for a license

Keegan Brooksby, James Cousins, Damon Greaves, Michael Hartley and Harrison Pepper have been informed they will not be offered new contracts.

I can't say I have followed Lipinski's career closely, probably because I don't watch enough VFL.

What concerns me though is that he put up spud numbers this year, with the exception being when he played against us. Also played his best game of 2019 against us (didn't play us in 2020).

You see this happen a bit in professional sports: Teams get high on a player based on how they perform in direct opposition and not based on their whole career, and this smells of that.

You may counter 'well Carlton is interested in him too', but exactly - that should make us all even more concerned.

I can't say I have followed Lipinski's career closely, probably because I don't watch enough VFL.

What concerns me though is that he put up spud numbers this year, with the exception being when he played against us. Also played his best game of 2019 against us (didn't play us in 2020).

You see this happen a bit in professional sports: Teams get high on a player based on how they perform in direct opposition and not based on their whole career, and this smells of that.

You may counter 'well Carlton is interested in him too', but exactly - that should make us all even more concerned.

I remember we were linked to him in his draft year and I swear every year since there's been whispers about him in the trade period. I think with other players we may have done what you have described, but with Lipinski I think we've had a long term crush.

I remember we were linked to him in his draft year and I swear every year since there's been whispers about him in the trade period. I think with other players we may have done what you have described, but with Lipinski I think we've had a long term crush.
Last night I watched his highlights from his games this year, and he has good skills. That will help.

Possession tally for a tall forward is based primarily on the delivery from up field. The fact he kicked nearly 50 goals from only 8 touches a game should be a testament to him, not a reason to criticise.

I don't know how their voting system works, but with a standard 3,2,1 voting system - his average game of 2 goals and 8 possessions is very unlikely to get him in the votes. His below average games, obviously wouldn't get him in the votes. There was probably only a few games where he could have expected to be amongst the votes.

He kicked 2 goals a game which is good, but he reallyt didn't offer much else

Keegan Brooksby, James Cousins, Damon Greaves, Michael Hartley and Harrison Pepper have been informed they will not be offered new contracts.

Hartley is a decent F/A full back. 198cm, 104kg... Only 28. Averaging 17 touches and 5 marks in the VFL. And can pinch hit at ruck forward.

As a last resort... if better options fail... I wouldn’t be opposed to rookie him so as to add more depth as speculative players in Beeg, Keane, Kelly, Johnson further develop.

And If Roughead goes down we have minimal KPD options next year

Last edited:
Hope we are ready to throw the book at Ben King.

Finished outside the top 10 of the clubs B&F despite kicking 47 goals and Nick Holman finished 9th after missing 6 games and averaging 13 touches.

Absolute disgrace if you ask me, and not sure how King would be taking that either. Come home son, we will welcome you.
Firstly awards judged by coaches always take into account more than just the number goals or touches when it comes to B&Fs and Coaches awards because there is more to a performance than that. Role execution always seems to be a bigger determining factor rather than just stats.

And just hypothetically lets say you're correct that Ben King is going to walk out on the Suns next year because he's unhappy with his B&F place this year, is that really the sort of player we want to bring to our club from a culture perspective?

Very accurate and I had this same thought myself. On the plus side, only Hine is still around from that game IIRC.

or are they only interested because they heard we are or they heard that and want to drive up the price? ;)

I hope we get him because I think in a new environment he will become a pretty good 35/40 goal forward.

Will he be a superstar? I don't think so kid has some talent, happy take a chance on him.

Everything we hear about our new coach is he is a teacher and that's why he is so good with younger players. Weid is still a kid.

Fair reasoning. I just hope if there is interest we do not over pay like we typically do.

With Wright at the helm I was hoping we would fix some issues that would allow us to go for a "Big Fish" next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does seem an odd one with Ben King. 47 goals is a great outcome in that team. Disposals is another element but what we don't know and what they presumably evaluate him on as well is how many contests he gets to, how many times he's not outmarked and how many times he brings the ball to ground.

All these non-goal stats seem to be all the rage but I do think its harsh for someone who is Top 5 in overall goalkicking that he can't get into the top 10 bnf.

Spud numbers are you just looking at overall average stats?

He was sub like 3 times this year.

It does seem an odd one with Ben King. 47 goals is a great outcome in that team. Disposals is another element but what we don't know and what they presumably evaluate him on as well is how many contests he gets to, how many times he's not outmarked and how many times he brings the ball to ground.

All these non-goal stats seem to be all the rage but I do think its harsh for someone who is Top 5 in overall goalkicking that he can't get into the top 10 bnf.
How often would 3 goals and 10 possessions get you in the votes? That's an above average game on both possessions and goals. If he was also splitting packs and causing dangerous spills - maybe, but that's not his game yet.

Literally all I’m saying. Top 5 in the Coleman in his 3rd season, in the 3rd worst team when he attracts the number one defender every week plus others floating in front to stop him, didn’t have any support whatsoever as Sam Day was injured and couldn’t even manage a top 10 finish in the clubs b&f. I understand clubs put emphasis on defensive stats and pressure acts in B&F counts as they aren’t widely recognised elsewhere but I’m not sure what else they expected of King when he scored over 20% of their total score in a team that managed the 4th lowest inside 50 count across the league.

It is basically the same as saying Harry McKay who is on the receiving end of kicking goals at Carlton wasn’t a top 10 finisher despite being the Coleman medallist and the All Australian FF. King was legit only 11 goals behind him in a far far worse team.

It is literally the non recognition of what he actually achieved that astounds me. If you classified an MVP award for GC he’d be their second most important player behind Touk. I just think it’s a bit of an embarrassment as well when it’s going to be a hard task in keeping him up there as it stands. Without him they’re stuffed.

He was absolutely woeful on Saturday night. One of the worst performances I've seen for a long time in a final. If his name wasn't Adam Treloar, he would get dropped this week.

He needs to play in the middle. Last 5 weeks he’s averaging 3.4 CBA’s. He’s an inside mid not a forward flanker or a winger. That’s the issue.

This is the voting process by the suns.

" The voting process for the Club Champion involved Stuart Dew and three assistant coaches awarding each player a maximum of 10 votes after each match, for a maximum of 40 votes for any match."

So votes would be split depending on who performed better and some not.

This is the voting process by the suns.

" The voting process for the Club Champion involved Stuart Dew and three assistant coaches awarding each player a maximum of 10 votes after each match, for a maximum of 40 votes for any match."

So votes would be split depending on who performed better and some not.

Exactly my point Jen - clearly not recognised for what he did from the coaches. Why stay at a joint who doesn’t acknowledge how good you were?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back