List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
First point of busness is the mid-season draft. Looks like we might be taking a couple of picks and if we can at least get one player who will turn into a best 22 it would be great. We just needs to our strike rate to be really good over the next few years. It's not over yet with with guys like Rantall and Murphy, but these selections in the 30-40 pick range are the ones we cant whiff on. Not necessarily stars but AFL standard players that fill out the list.

Theoretically the club could wait for the bid on Daicos, match and then trade the 2022 pick for a top 10 pick in this year's draft. Then that pick wouldn't be compromised, right? Risky play given the clubs downward trajectory, but if you could convince a team to part with say pick 5 or 6 for next years, its kind of a win win. Get a player you want into the club on the same timeline as the 2020 and 2021 crop?

For a start, teams aren't going to part with 5/6 unless they don't rate the current 5/6 players left as highly as normal in that range and rate the next year's draft much higher. Secondly, Sidey and Pendles were drafted 3 years apart. The blokes drafted between 2020 -2022 who make it will play the overwhelming majority of their careers together. The theory of trading your picks forward to get a player sooner is a mugs game, as each time you do it, you have to pay an impatience tax, so over the time period that you're recruiting a team you end up having devalued your picks and are thus likely to have recruited less talent onto your list.

It's a bitter pill to sell to your supporters to trade a pick 5 for a pick that could easily be worse NEXT year, they'll want something to sweeten it otherwise why do the swap?

I'm not necessarily encouraging it, but if the recruiters rate the draft you'd imagine we'd be looking at ways to get back into the first round. Given that you couldn't risk trading a player for that pick pre draft (as it would be absorbed by the bid) and you can only trade picks on draft night, its kind of the only option.

For a start, teams aren't going to part with 5/6 unless they don't rate the current 5/6 players left as highly as normal in that range and rate the next year's draft much higher. Secondly, Sidey and Pendles were drafted 3 years apart. The blokes drafted between 2020 -2022 who make it will play the overwhelming majority of their careers together. The theory of trading your picks forward to get a player sooner is a mugs game, as each time you do it, you have to pay an impatience tax, so over the time period that you're recruiting a team you end up having devalued your picks and are thus likely to have recruited less talent onto your list.

As I said, not saying it's the best course of action, but that would be the only way to get into the early part of the draft without the pick being used to get Daicos.

As I said, not saying it's the best course of action, but that would be the only way to get into the early part of the draft without the pick being used to get Daicos.

I think we just have to be delighted that we have access to Daicos and with the way he has started in the under 18s, our focus should be getting enough points to avoid deficit and not have our 2022 first weakened and ideally retain our 2022 second (although we'll have to trade a player to do that)- You'd have to think it's most probable that we'll go backwards a bit again in 2022, so we really should be trying to retain those picks. It's one of the many reasons that I'm really annoyed that we traded the first at well under the odds. Surely GWS would have been willing to add a future second rather than a future 4th. It was just a dumb trade on our behalf.

Last edited:
Our lack of picks in this years draft (outside Daicos and maybe Dib) makes it absolutely imperative we nail these 2 mid season picks in early June.
2 players who potentially otherwise would have been second or third round picks in the national draft
I'd be pinning our hopes more to the blokes we've already drafted - considering we got lucky with an NGA and also spent 3 first round picks on them, you'd want to hope that we got some quality.

I'd be pinning our hopes more to the blokes we've already drafted - considering we got lucky with an NGA and also spent 3 first round picks on them, you'd want to hope that we got some quality.
Sounds positive for a Macrae debut, and I don't think McInnes will be far away after a stint in the 2s either. Poulter pushing too, so we'll get a look at them all in the coming weeks.

I'm looking forward to what we can produce in the mid season draft also, could give us a leg up heading into the Daicos draft

Sounds positive for a Macrae debut, and I don't think McInnes will be far away after a stint in the 2s either. Poulter pushing too, so we'll get a look at them all in the coming weeks.

I'm looking forward to what we can produce in the mid season draft also, could give us a leg up heading into the Daicos draft

Unless there's someone we really rate highly, I think we'll tackle both a list and a reputation need by drafting an indigenous small forward or two.

I’m not going to pretend to know much about the intricacies of the draft and points etc. personally I’m very happy that we have access to a potential #1 in Daicos, been a while since we had that high a pick even if we are just matching a bid on him. The rest will hopefully work out, I’d be looking for KPP as our number 1 priority mid season and after Nick then speed and lots of it.
I might not agree with the strategy we used last year but we got a heap of potentially good mids and If 2 of them end up close to the pendles/sidey combination then I’m happy. We just don’t know, we might look back at 2020 being a super draft for us or the time when the club went all in and bust. We’ll just have to wait. Let’s hope the new coach does a great job with them.

I’m not going to pretend to know much about the intricacies of the draft and points etc. personally I’m very happy that we have access to a potential #1 in Daicos, been a while since we had that high a pick even if we are just matching a bid on him. The rest will hopefully work out, I’d be looking for KPP as our number 1 priority mid season and after Nick then speed and lots of it.
I might not agree with the strategy we used last year but we got a heap of potentially good mids and If 2 of them end up close to the pendles/sidey combination then I’m happy. We just don’t know, we might look back at 2020 being a super draft for us or the time when the club went all in and bust. We’ll just have to wait. Let’s hope the new coach does a great job with them.

I reckon it’s all but guaranteed we’ll also be taking Dib as a nga.

So realistically any other picks we take after Daicos & Dib will be super speculative late picks.

Theoretically the club could wait for the bid on Daicos, match and then trade the 2022 pick for a top 10 pick in this year's draft. Then that pick wouldn't be compromised, right? Risky play given the clubs downward trajectory, but if you could convince a team to part with say pick 5 or 6 for next years, its kind of a win win. Get a player you want into the club on the same timeline as the 2020 and 2021 crop?

Extremely risky based on a slightly improved statistical chance to get 1 good player 1 year later than the 2 we took last year. I’m happy to wait and see how Poulter and McMahon turn out. Hopefully we’ve got a couple of players there.

The only way you’d entice a club to part with a 2021 top 10 pick (as suggested in earlier posts is if they’re in danger of loosing it to match an earlier bid. I’m not sure the 2021 has the same quantum of quality top 10 FS-academy players as 2020 to make that a possibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So realistically any other picks we take after Daicos & Dib will be super speculative late picks.

Given the numbers of kids on our list I doubt we’d look at any more than Daicos and Dib in the ND.

Extremely risky based on a slightly improved statistical chance to get 1 good player 1 year later than the 2 we took last year. I’m happy to wait and see how Poulter and McMahon turn out. Hopefully we’ve got a couple of players there.

I totally agree with you. I raised it mostly for clarification on the bidding process and partly because our recruitment team have been quite eager to trade out the future first since the advent of future pick trading.

Unless there's someone we really rate highly, I think we'll tackle both a list and a reputation need by drafting an indigenous small forward or two.

I think a small crumbing/pressure forward and potentially an overlooked key position player would be extremely beneficial. We've seen how even slightly older KPPs can play a role at senior level even early on in their careers. Mihocek is a prime example. Even Harry Taylor was mature age when drafted if memory serves.

So we may very well have the best kid in a ‘super draft’ and another rated by some as a potential late 1st round or early 2nd round selection.
Sounds horrible.....

So we may very well have the best kid in a ‘super draft’ and another rated by some as a potential late 1st round or early 2nd round selection.
Sounds horrible.....

With the changes implemented last year to the NGA, Dib will have to be a second round or later, otherwise we won’t get priority access to him.

But I agree with the sentiment.

Last edited:
Given the numbers of kids on our list I doubt we’d look at any more than Daicos and Dib in the ND.
Maybe not.

I just would have thought we may have looked at taking a chance on some speculative indigenous talent either very late in the ND or rookie draft.

Particularly in light of Sizer’s comments that it is ‘not ok’ that we don’t have an indigenous player on our list.

Maybe not.

I just would have thought we may have looked at taking a chance on some speculative indigenous talent either very late in the ND or rookie draft.

Particularly in light of Sizer’s comments that it is ‘not ok’ that we don’t have an indigenous player on our list.
We could have had both Spicer and Winder if we didn't trade a hundred picks, then trade half back and a few sideways, this years draft was like watching a slow motion car crash

We need to take 2 indigenous players in the same draft so that they can grow and bond together and feel more comfortable. If Sizer is any good then she needs to be able to help guide them and develop their leadership skills in order to start growing a better culture and hopefully pave the way for future indigenous players. Unfortunately this won't happen while Hine is still picking the players

Surely we should target Josh Kelly (GWS) if cap space allows - will help fill a void in the midfield and has class. Only issue I can think of is that he used to live with Treloar so it understandably may be off-putting to come (2020 off-season bites again)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely we should target Josh Kelly (GWS) if cap space allows - will help fill a void in the midfield and has class. Only issue I can think of is that he used to live with Treloar so it understandably may be off-putting to come (2020 off-season bites again)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kelly would be silly not to trigger his extension.

Given his recent output no club would be willing to offer anywhere near the $

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back