List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previously on Trade and F/A we’ve been discussing...
Schache, Dale, 2MP, Brown, McDonald etc as potential trades.
Callow, Phillips, Lord, Reid, Cox as draftees.
Stacks of players to trade out.

Old thread found here.

FYI Gone Critical jathanas Maggie5 Magpie Girl

What difference does it make how many years he had left on his contract? We tried to interest him in a move last year before he signed the extension. We can only assume the extension was to help manage TPP which is the thing you’re suggesting we can’t do.
Help manage the TPP?
Um...didn’t work very well. Perhaps it might have been more prudent to offer a two year deal on less money?

By your own ruminations they're actually managing the TPP but for anyone to say they know 1 way or the other of the scant evidence you offer is just wrong.

DECISION: Keep the list together and bring in Beams. Done.
DECISION: Retain all of Grundy, JDG and Moore. Done or in the process of being done.
DECISION: Retain Checkers and Daicos. Done.
DECISION: Retire Beams. Done or in the process of being done.
DECISION: Reposition the club to (I guess) allow for the increased salaries of developing players and attract future FA's and trades. Done.

Whether we're paying a bit of Treloar's 2021 salary is irrelevant. We did the same for Shaw. I'm sure other clubs do it all the time and that we've been on the receiving end of similar assistance.

Try being a bit more pragmatic, take the emotion out of it.

Who did Richmond bring in this year? Lost Higgins for a pick upgrade and 1 of their emerging fringe players for a future 3rd. There are consequences for keeping players like Lynch and Dusty on big salaries. There are consequences for keeping Grundy, Moore and JDG.

When you operate in a salary cap environment, then paying for a player to play somewhere else is very relevant. That makes the trade, in terms of compensation, even worse.

Ah yeah, use as an example a team thats won back to back premierships.

The club stuffed up the salary cap and have corrected it the best way they can. The lure of landing a free agent, is just fools gold, to keep people positive.

Help manage the TPP?
Um...didn’t work very well. Perhaps it might have been more prudent to offer a two year deal on less money?

this is the one thing that has puzzled mewhy resign him for so much. Adams we need to reduce our tpp could you look at moving ?

no

ok here’s a 3 year extension on less money

No way I’m going cya

Much cleaner exit

When you operate in a salary cap environment, then paying for a player to play somewhere else is very relevant. That makes the trade, in terms of compensation, even worse.

The club stuffed up the salary cap and have corrected it the best way they can. The lure of landing a free agent, is just fools gold, to keep people positive.

exactly beams and Treloar we are starting as the biggest back marker in the Stawell gift

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel sorry for David Noble. Not sure how any club could set the expectation of top 4 in 2-3 years after gutting a third of their list in one go...
yeah, thats not gonna happen. At very best 2-3 years you could be pushing for finals, that's best case senario.

not really a mid season draft. They are gonna give clubs the chance to top up players after round 3, 8 and 12 I think.. or something like that. I'd have to find the article that talks about it.
Okay. Maybe Collingwood might do something like that too

Okay. Maybe Collingwood might do something like that too

In other news, clubs were shown a proposal on Wednesday where there will be active and inactive lists in the AFL instead of a mid-season draft.

There will be three periods where clubs can nominate a previously undrafted or eligible player to their respective rookie lists throughout the season – after round four, eight and 12.

Help manage the TPP?

My reading is that he'd signed a number of extensions over the years which all pushed some of the money he was owed out to the last year of his contract, hence the discussion about $900k in 2021. I've also read some suggestion that subsequent to 2021 he'd drop back down but there'd be incremental increases maxing out at a guestimated $800k in the final year. I'd assume that if they tried to capture all the backended $$$'s over 2 years as you suggest he'd have been on considerably more than $900k a year for each of those seasons. Moving money like this is managing TPP. Paying a proportion of his salary in 2021 is managing TPP.

Nah, it's about 2% of TPP and helped free up the guestimated $2m (16-17%) under the cap which can more than cover whatever we're giving the Doggies.

You can use any team you like. Do you think the Cats just found the room for Jezza or the Doggies for Treloar or Port for Fantasia by osmosis? Capped list sizes and and TPP means you can only have a certain number of players, and only so many of them can be earning the big bucks. In every example you want to look at there has been players offloaded to accommodate these players getting to their new clubs.

this is the one thing that has puzzled mewhy resign him for so much. Adams we need to reduce our tpp could you look at moving ?

no

ok here’s a 3 year extension on less money

No way I’m going cya

Much cleaner exit

My reading is that they'd have still had to pay him all the money they'd backended over a number of previous extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back