List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get McCreery in and make him a cult hero.

20-30 players in the SANFL who are good enough to play in the AFL?

Give me a break - if the standard in the SANFL was that good then more of them would be playing AFL and they wouldn't have gotten whipped by the WAFL the last couple of times they played.

Edit: back on topic - McCreery looks like he has a point of difference with his pace and that roving off the pack was nice for the second goal there, but he's a bit outside that normal small pressure forward mould at 186cm / 80kg and just barely making it across the line on a set shot from 45m out doesn't exactly get one standing to attention, if you know what I mean...

Last edited:
20-30 players in the SANFL who are good enough to play in the AFL?

Give me a break - if the standard in the SANFL was that good then more of them would be playing AFL and they wouldn't have gotten whipped by the WAFL the last couple of times they played.
I'm skeptical too, but it's possible that that many could come in and play a role at some club to an acceptable standard - ala John Noble.

I'm skeptical too, but it's possible that that many could come in and play a role at some club to an acceptable standard - ala John Noble.

Maybe, but I'd view that statement as saying that those 20-30 players would be best 22 at a club somewhere in the AFL which is where I'd have doubts especially with the more mature-aged players.

Noble's issue was probably his size, but he's bulked up a bit now and has shown that he has neat enough disposal to make use of his speed so I guess it's possible for a younger player to make a fist of it if they work hard and there are obviously other state-league players who have done so, although they were more in the "untapped talent" category in cases like Tom Stewart for example.

Matt Balmer has gut feel that a bid wont come til after our picks. If it comes before, might have to use either 14 or 16. But he feels we could get in both picks before a bid.

Which makes me think this essendon noise might not be as strong as it appears.

ETA:

And he just said the essendon' interest is not that strong. That's a bit of a relief

I think he said in an interview recently that he is a bombers fan... I assume they are just basing the rumour on this. Also it feels like almost every trade period there is talk of the bombers wanting to get a big midfielder. Have they got one yet?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think he said in an interview recently that he is a bombers fan... I assume they are just basing the rumour on this. Also it feels like almost every trade period there is talk of the bombers wanting to get a big midfielder. Have they got one yet?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well they continue to play Langford in there, and gave him their beloved Jobe's number. Enough said!

For all of the lip service about coming together and working through a difficult situation in hub life Bucks sure seems to have pulled the pin on a really talented but somewhat wayward 21 year old who clearly struggled with the whole situation and appeared to be fully aware that he had things to work on and credits to earn back with the club and his team mates.

It's rather ironic that coming out of this that the "Side by Side" mantra has quietly disappeared and been replaced by "Made by Many", because there certainly doesn't appear to be much of an element of togetherness within the club at the moment, with reports swirling around players, coaches and management all not being happy.

I get the sense these issues pre-dated the hub.

I feel like we should be aiming higher then John Noble

Yeah he’s been solid and will continue to provide something, but he’s more Sam Dwyer than Brody Mihocek, IMO.

He isn't a finished product yet. John Noble may end up better than John Noble. But yeah we should be aiming higher than the current player he is.

I get the sense these issues pre-dated the hub.

Well we know they did given the issues he had in 2019, but that doesn't diminish the possibility that hub life contributed to his on and off-field issues in 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we know they did given the issues he had in 2019, but that doesn't diminish the possibility that hub life contributed to his on and off-field issues in 2020.

He also had glandular fever which wrecked his preseason and start to the season.

He has had troubles, fine, but they have mostly been circumstantial. The kid is right up there among the best young talents in the league. He is the biggest talent we've drafted since Pendlebury 15 years ago (Dayne Beams being the other candidate), and we will learn that the hard way for much of the next decade (during which time we would be lucky to draft a single kid as good as him).

Getting rid of him for anything other than top dollar (or at all really) was a moronic decision in the extreme, whichever way you skin it. The fact that the club got itself into a situation where they had to do it is because of the incompetence of the people making decisions at our club.

Stephenson was not traded because he is a bad guy, or because he is uncoachable, or any of that. It definitely wasn't for the long term betterment of the team as Anderson tried to spin it. He was sacrificed because he isn't one of the popular blokes at the club, he isn't one of 'the boys', or one of Bucks' favourites and they thought that moving him on therefore wouldn't cause as much discontent among other players, because he is a kid who has had a tough couple of years personally and hasn't formed those relationships yet. They had to get rid of someone, so they chose the loners in the group so that the pack wouldn't revolt.

The club chose to hurt the team's future over the other two options which were a player revolt if one of the 'lads' was sacrificed, or sanctions for blowing the cap. Never should have had to.

He also had glandular fever which wrecked his preseason and start to the season.

He has had troubles, fine, but they have mostly been circumstantial. The kid is right up there among the best young talents in the league. He is the biggest talent we've drafted since Pendlebury 15 years ago (Dayne Beams being the other candidate), and we will learn that the hard way for much of the next decade (during which time we would be lucky to draft a single kid as good as him).

Getting rid of him for anything other than top dollar (or at all really) was a moronic decision in the extreme, whichever way you skin it. The fact that the club got itself into a situation where they had to do it is because of the incompetence of the people making decisions at our club.

Stephenson was not traded because he is a bad guy, or because he is uncoachable, or any of that. It definitely wasn't for the long term betterment of the team as Anderson tried to spin it. He was sacrificed because he isn't one of the popular blokes at the club, he isn't one of 'the boys', or one of Bucks' favourites and they thought that moving him on therefore wouldn't cause as much discontent among other players, because he is a kid who has had a tough couple of years personally and hasn't formed those relationships yet. They had to get rid of someone, so they chose the loners in the group so that the pack wouldn't revolt.

The club chose to hurt the team's future over the other two options which were a player revolt if one of the 'lads' was sacrificed, or sanctions for blowing the cap. Never should have had to.

I don’t understand your logic - surely the unity and harmony of the collective offers greater upside in 2021, than the loss of an undisciplined/disruptive player, regardless of his talent.

I don’t understand your logic - surely the unity and harmony of the collective offers greater upside in 2021, than the loss of an undisciplined/disruptive player, regardless of his talent.

He wasn't traded for "unity and harmony". He was traded because through poor list management, we had to trade someone. That the club chose, after putting themselves into a position where they had no choice but to trade someone, to trade the player whose exit would be the least damaging to "unity and harmony", is a different thing. He wasn't picked for trade because he is undisciplined or disruptive. He was picked (as was Treloar) because he is not popular.

Not being in a position where we had to trade someone regardless of the compensation, and therefore not trading Stephenson at all, would have resulted in much greater upside in 2021.

No it doesn't. But if even half the rumours are on the money then you can understand the player group drawing a line in the sand. Especially given his on-field performances.

So you’re telling me he didn’t piss in anyone’s drink, vodka or otherwise, as a joke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He wasn't traded for "unity and harmony". He was traded because through poor list management, we had to trade someone. That the club chose, after putting themselves into a position where they had no choice but to trade someone, to trade the player whose exit would be the least damaging to "unity and harmony", is a different thing. He wasn't picked for trade because he is undisciplined or disruptive. He was picked (as was Treloar) because he is not popular.

Not being in a position where we had to trade someone regardless of the compensation, and therefore not trading Stephenson at all, would have resulted in much greater upside in 2021.

Are you aware of his failure to do weights program - hence failure to add bulk. Or his poor attitude on field, as seen in his games this year? Aren’t they examples of being undisciplined?

Are you aware of his blow up with assistant coaches and the “drink” he gave Noble? Isn’t that disruptive to the collective?

So I can’t agree discipline and disruption were not part of the decision to trade him.
I do agree that had the playing group backed him, then he wouldn’t have been traded, so in the end cap relief was not the major motivation for trading him.
Further, if the above were not issues, more clubs would have shown interest given his talent.

Last edited:

Unless you have concrete evidence of these claims then you're clearly just jumping to conclusions.

you serious? how precious do you think these blokes are? they would of worked it out once the coach got stevo up and firing. that outcome would of had more upside to the team if you ask me.

just my opinion mate.

The kid is right up there among the best young talents in the league. He is the biggest talent we've drafted since Pendlebury 15 years ago (Dayne Beams being the other candidate), and we will learn that the hard way for much of the next decade (during which time we would be lucky to draft a single kid as good as him).
Disrespectful to The Big Show but I’ll let it slide this time.

Stevo made his bed - he would still be at the club if the playing group wanted him. I think you’re right about Dickhead but for the wrong person.

If Stevo stayed then we would still have to clear around 500k of salary cap off the books, so who would you punt instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back