List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weidieman and Day as FA's should be our biggest targets imo. The Weed is a restricted FA I believe so we'd need to work something out, however Day as a non-restricted FA could walk to us for free if he nominated us.

If we truly are after a Merrett or Trac we need to save some of our powder, as they will require big trades, so trying to get one/two KPF's on the "cheap" is the smartest play. Mckay would cost the world - and I would rather trade for him over a mid, however all the talk has been we are after a mid and I would rather see us at least bring in Day/Weideman alongside a Mid rather than only signing Merrett/Trac and continuing to ignore the hole in our forward line.

Sorry, who is Trac?

Sorry, who is Trac?

Petracca.

Weidieman and Day as FA's should be our biggest targets imo. The Weed is a restricted FA I believe so we'd need to work something out, however Day as a non-restricted FA could walk to us for free if he nominated us.

If we truly are after a Merrett or Trac we need to save some of our powder, as they will require big trades, so trying to get one/two KPF's on the "cheap" is the smartest play. Mckay would cost the world - and I would rather trade for him over a mid, however all the talk has been we are after a mid and I would rather see us at least bring in Day/Weideman alongside a Mid rather than only signing Merrett/Trac and continuing to ignore the hole in our forward line.

Weideman is 2 years from FA. I’ve also seen Day’s name pop up a few times now so this isn’t in your direction necessarily, but WTF is with him as an option? He makes Reid look durable and Cox a star in the 5 matches he plays a year.

Day is UFA. Weideman isn't a free agent yet, but he is out of contract. I don't think either offers much more than our existing forwards tbh.

McKay would be ideal but you're right to say he'll cost, and given we'd need to trade he's probably unobtainable. Unless we lost someone like De Goey. I dont like the idea of giving away more 1st rounders.

Petracca.

Weideman is 2 years from FA. I’ve also seen Day’s name pop up a few times now so this isn’t in your direction necessarily, but WTF is with him as an option? He makes Reid look durable and Cox a star in the 5 matches he plays a year.

I don't mind Day and for mine he could be a shrewd acquisition. Genuine sized Key-forward who marks well on the lead and marks it at the highest point. I don't for a second think he would come in and be an AA 60 goal forward for us, but as a target i50 he could certainly play a role in a position we don't many options in. I tend to disagree on his durability, before that horrific hip injury in 2017 he'd played 20+ games in 3/4 seasons leading up to that and he played every game last year for the suns. While he's no Jack Crisp, I think he is a bit more durable than he's often given credit for. Pending the money he'd be wanting, he could be a solid value buy especially as we look to slowly transition Kelly and McMahon into the 22 over the next few seasons.

My point was more alluding to the fact that if we are going to be targeting an A Grade mid, we should still be out trying to find a KPF option and if capital is being tied up in a Merrett/Petracca then players like Day are ones we should be looking at. While landing a big name MID is great, heading into 2022 with our current KPF stocks wouldn't fill me with much hope, unless off course we see a bit from the likes of McMahon/Kelly that suggest they can be solid pieces of our 22 next season.

Out of curiosity in regards to Weideman what is the contract status with him? He is out of contract but not a FA? What would be the process for a club to target a player in his situation - is it just a straight up trade scenario?

I don't mind Day and for mine he could be a shrewd acquisition. Genuine sized Key-forward who marks well on the lead and marks it at the highest point. I don't for a second think he would come in and be an AA 60 goal forward for us, but as a target i50 he could certainly play a role in a position we don't many options in. I tend to disagree on his durability, before that horrific hip injury in 2017 he'd played 20+ games in 3/4 seasons leading up to that and he played every game last year for the suns. While he's no Jack Crisp, I think he is a bit more durable than he's often given credit for. Pending the money he'd be wanting, he could be a solid value buy especially as we look to slowly transition Kelly and McMahon into the 22 over the next few seasons.

My point was more alluding to the fact that if we are going to be targeting an A Grade mid, we should still be out trying to find a KPF option and if capital is being tied up in a Merrett/Petracca then players like Day are ones we should be looking at. While landing a big name MID is great, heading into 2022 with our current KPF stocks wouldn't fill me with much hope, unless off course we see a bit from the likes of McMahon/Kelly that suggest they can be solid pieces of our 22 next season.

Out of curiosity in regards to Weideman what is the contract status with him? He is out of contract but not a FA? What would be the process for a club to target a player in his situation - is it just a straight up trade scenario?

OOC and not a FA for Weideman. He might be gettable, but I don’t agree with the focus on KPF’s anyway.

Our best 22 requirements are midfield, small forward and KPD in that order, IMO. I think your bang on in terms of a Petracca or Merrett who along with Macrae/ McInnes/ Poulter probably corrects course with the midfield. The problem is bringing a guy like Day in when he isn’t an improvement on what we already have (he’s never kicked more than 20 in a season after 10 years in the system) has more potential to stifle the development of Kelly and McMahon, IMO. If either of Day and Kelly are ever fit at the same time that is...

Brander, S Taylor, Melican and Callow are the guys I’d be looking at as tall options. Callow as a KPD. Kickers too. Anyone that can kick and has pace needs to be on our radar. Guys like Amon, B Williams and Cumming. Guys you can attract at the $400k mark, who are plug and play, but won’t break the trade bank. Howe and Varcoe aside we haven’t found any of them for a loooooong time!

Last edited:
OOC and not a FA for Weideman. He might be gettable, but I don’t agree with the focus on KPF’s anyway.

Our best 22 requirements are midfield, small forward and KPD in that order, IMO. I think your bang on in terms of a Petracca or Merrett who along with Macrae/ McInnes/ Poulter probably corrects course with the midfield. The problem is bringing a guy like Day in when he isn’t an improvement on what we already have (he’s never kicked more than 20 in a season after 10 years in the system) has more potential to stifle the development of Kelly and McMahon, IMO. If either of Day and Kelly are ever fit at the same time that is...

Brander, S Taylor, Melican and Callow are the guys I’d be looking at as tall options. Callow as a KPD. Kickers too. Anyone that can kick and has pace needs to be on our radar. Guys like Amon, B Williams and Cumming. Guys you can attract at the $400k mark, who are plug and play, but won’t break the trade bank. Howe and Varcoe aside we haven’t found any of them for a loooooong time!

I'm with you on KPD, while I think Keane will be an ok player another "Roughead- esque" find would not hurt us at all. Roughy has been a wonderful bargain pick-up and repeating that with another mature KPD (maybe a few years younger than Roughy was in 2018) as we grow Keane (or maybe Kelly?) to be Darcy's eventual partner would be a very wise move by the club.

The problem for mine is we just don't know what we have in the youngster in terms Mids and Small forwards. A big name signing doesn't hurt with Pendles and Sidey getting on and as you said some of the midfield solutions are potentially right under our noses as we speak with Murphy, McInnes, Poulter, McRae, Rantall, Bianco and Nick Daicos to come next year. Up forward someone like McCreery or Ginnivan could be exactly what we require but until we see these young guy playing senior footy we probably won't know who/what we really should be targeting in the off season.

I’d absolutely love to get Clayton Oliver. Perfect replacement for Pendles.
In what way? Oliver is a good extractor, but as a Pendlebury replacement he’d be horrible. No class by foot and average game sense.

In what way? Oliver is a good extractor, but as a Pendlebury replacement he’d be horrible. No class by foot and average game sense.

I agree he has average game sense.

However, he’s the corner stone you can build a midfield around. We haven’t had anyone like that since Pendles.

3A9F5EE6-3069-4631-AB6E-2FD1D921E17E.png
His disposals % is decent IMO. If he could get the Kick to handball ratio 1 to 1, he would be a superstar.

I agree he has average game sense.

However, he’s the corner stone you can build a midfield around. We haven’t had anyone like that since Pendles.

View attachment 1095204
His disposals % is decent IMO. If he could get the Kick to handball ratio 1 to 1, he would be a superstar.
Honestly I regard him as a slightly more prolific version of Adams, with less game sense. We need class to replace Pendles, not an in and under workhorse. Merrett would be a better acquisition for what we need imo.

Honestly I regard him as a slightly more prolific version of Adams, with less game sense. We need class to replace Pendles, not an in and under workhorse. Merrett would be a better acquisition for what we need imo.
I'd like Oliver more than Merrett- I wouldn't see him as a replacement for Pendles though - other than in the centre square. Pendles still has a fair bit left I reckon as a classy linkman and distributor, but we need someone more physical inside the stoppage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like Oliver more than Merrett- I wouldn't see him as a replacement for Pendles though - other than in the centre square. Pendles still has a fair bit left I reckon as a classy linkman and distributor, but we need someone more physical inside the stoppage.
In terms of our midfield I’m less concerned with the physical guys inside the stoppage and more concerned with our class on the outside and ability to spread. Although they’re not at Oliver’s level, we have Adams, Sier, T Brown, De Goey and then Reef developing. Brown and Reef aren’t there yet, but I’m quite bullish on what those two can become as inside mids.
More off topic, I’m pretty bullish on how strong our midfield will be in a couple of years with Macrae, Reef, N Daicos, and to a lesser extent Brown and Poulter. Those guys plus Adams and Merrett, with JDG rotating though sounds pretty enticing to me. Frankly, I’m betting on Daicos as our Pendles replacement. If he makes time and space for himself the way Josh does, but is a class above as a footballer.... it’s going to be a fun decade or so to be a pies fan.

This exactly.

Agree with this. For the price of prising Merrett away... a key forward is probably more of a need.

Or spend the money on a couple of quality 24-26 year old free agents would help balance the age profile of the list once Mayne, Greenwood, Roughead, Pendles, Howe, Sidebottom, Mihocek and Cox and co gradually retire over the next 4 seasons
We need quality mids above anything else. More of Adams and Pendlebury is what we need.

Petracca not so convincing when asked if he was staying at Melbourne. Might be something to the rumour, or maybe it’s just a sign of the times. He’d be a great get, I just don’t know how we’d manage to make the trade without giving up other critical pieces.

Petracca not so convincing when asked if he was staying at Melbourne. Might be something to the rumour, or maybe it’s just a sign of the times. He’d be a great get, I just don’t know how we’d manage to make the trade without giving up other critical pieces.
We may have some quality in our AFLW that could interest them?

I demand to know immediately what this Petracca rumour is that multiple people have alluded to?!

He would be an amazing get and fix our woes for years to come.

I don’t care if it’s a complete fabrication, happy to just believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back