Luke Davies-Uniacke
Shai Bolton
Callum Coleman-Jones
Sydney Stack
Jack Billings
Will Gould
Tom McCartin
Ed Richards!

LDU would be ideal. A couple of years mentored by Pendles could elevate his output

Green would be a substantial upgrade on Sier to help take advantage of Grundys taps and give Adams a hand with clearances

Definitely not while the club persists with Kelly forward. A mix of Cox, Mihocek, McMahon and Kelly is ample through to 2022 so unless one falls in our lap (say Riccardi or Callow although I’d use him back) there’s no need for us to go looking for one.

On the flip side Roughead, Moore and Keane is nowhere near enough cover down back. It could also depend on what happens with Lynch. I’d be cutting him post 2021 and I think Grundy, Cameron and Cox is plenty of ruck cover so that might be a way to find another list spot for a KPF, but I think the club would go with another Cameron style ruck forward...

I would send Kelly back, my gut feel is he won't make it forward based on what I've seen.

I'd definitely invest in another key forward or two, and I like both Riccardi and Callow. I'd punt on both, understanding Callow is versatile and helps address that key back need also.

It's also one of the more realistic key forward solutions.

I think key forward is an issue medium term given Cox's age, and Mihoceks.

I also agree that midfield and small forwards are priorities.

I think in midfield we can get away bringing in one established mid (for e.g. Merrett, Crouch for realistic targets) then reassessing in future, depending on development and post Pendles retirement.

I'd also consider a more permanent shift of Crisp to wing for depth, considering Quaynors development curve.

Small forwards are an immediate need, and we offer strong future prospects in that area for someone. I haven't cast my mind to possible trade targets there though. You've mentioned Amon who is RFA next year, and is probably gettable for a modest trade and reasonable contract.

I would send Kelly back, my gut feel is he won't make it forward based on what I've seen.

I'd definitely invest in another key forward or two, and I like both Riccardi and Callow. I'd punt on both, understanding Callow is versatile and helps address that key back need also.

It's also one of the more realistic key forward solutions.

I think key forward is an issue medium term given Cox's age, and Mihoceks.

I also agree that midfield and small forwards are priorities.

I think in midfield we can get away bringing in one established mid (for e.g. Merrett, Crouch for realistic targets) then reassessing in future, depending on development and post Pendles retirement.

I'd also consider a more permanent shift of Crisp to wing for depth, considering Quaynors development curve.

Small forwards are an immediate need, and we offer strong future prospects in that area for someone. I haven't cast my mind to possible trade targets there though. You've mentioned Amon who is RFA next year, and is probably gettable for a modest trade and reasonable contract.
Amon is more of a winger than a small forward but is like to get him regardless.

OOC and not a FA for Weideman. He might be gettable, but I don’t agree with the focus on KPF’s anyway.

Our best 22 requirements are midfield, small forward and KPD in that order, IMO. I think your bang on in terms of a Petracca or Merrett who along with Macrae/ McInnes/ Poulter probably corrects course with the midfield. The problem is bringing a guy like Day in when he isn’t an improvement on what we already have (he’s never kicked more than 20 in a season after 10 years in the system) has more potential to stifle the development of Kelly and McMahon, IMO. If either of Day and Kelly are ever fit at the same time that is...

Brander, S Taylor, Melican and Callow are the guys I’d be looking at as tall options. Callow as a KPD. Kickers too. Anyone that can kick and has pace needs to be on our radar. Guys like Amon, B Williams and Cumming. Guys you can attract at the $400k mark, who are plug and play, but won’t break the trade bank. Howe and Varcoe aside we haven’t found any of them for a loooooong time!
You are kidding yourself if you think we need a key back over a key forward. We have one of the best back lines in the game

Any small forwards you think we should look at?
Castagna might be a decent experienced option whilst we develop some others or perhaps Cameron from west Coast if we think he can develop but I otherwise I haven’t really had strong enough look to give a good answer.

You are kidding yourself if you think we need a key back over a key forward. We have one of the best back lines in the game

But limited depth at key defender, which has the potential to significantly expose our list. Roughead would be near the end also, which compounds the issue.

We've also lost a lot of depth at medium defender with the departures of Shaz and Langdon, and Howe isn't young. I'd return Ruscoe to that role fwiw.

But limited depth at key defender, which has the potential to significantly expose our list. Roughead would be near the end also, which compounds the issue.

We've also lost a lot of depth at medium defender with the departures of Shaz and Langdon, and Howe isn't young. I'd return Ruscoe to that role fwiw.

Agree. Even if it's just to make him more well rounded. All he tries to do as a forward is lead his opponent under hte ball and double back onto it.

Castagna might be a decent experienced option whilst we develop some others or perhaps Cameron from west Coast if we think he can develop but I otherwise I haven’t really had strong enough look to give a good answer.

Castagna would be ideal, but is it realistic? I looked at the out of contract smalls which from a rough look includes Gibbons, Lonie, K Coleman, Zaharakis, Miers, D Rioli, Neal-Bullen, Ronke, B Ah Chee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could always switch Kelly back if we land a key forward though.

We could, but it appears that now we’re 3 seasons in that’s a last resort move. My assessment is also based on the clubs current plans because there’s no point having this discussion on the basis of what the consensus is on here. Basically while Kelly’s a FWD the priority need is obviously KPD.

Quicky I agree I have little hope too, but I suspect he’s a long shot at either end based on what I’ve seen so far. Plenty of water to go under the bridge though.

I think you're underestimating Jeremy Howe's ability to play as a KPD.

No because he doesn’t have any. He’s 32 in 2022 when this discussion becomes relevant and is infinitely more value to us in his current role. Once you start including Howe in that discussion you’re opening it up to Wilson and Murphy too none of whom are realistic KPD options.

Our depth is a one game Irishman and ....?
Whilst our key forward stocks aren’t as strong as our first choice back line, the depth is incredibly shallow back there for talls. Personally I’d be looking to kill 2 birds with one stone amd recruit a good forward, while sending Kelly to defence, where he’s a natural intercept player.

Whilst our key forward stocks aren’t as strong as our first choice back line, the depth is incredibly shallow back there for talls. Personally I’d be looking to kill 2 birds with one stone amd recruit a good forward, while sending Kelly to defence, where he’s a natural intercept player.
Well I was about to say they have the option if they get a tall forward to send Kelly back

No. I just do the research and we’re held together with sticky tape for talls down back.
And if a forward goes down there is nobody there either. Plus the quality isn’t there. If we land a forward we can send Kelly to the backline and then there is Keane from all the VFL games I went to in 2019 he was a stand out back there

All these people knocking Roughead and his age are the same ones who are massive Cox fans. They are 3 months different in age.....

Yeah. The way I see it, we're at least one tall short, but other than Roughy and Cox I wouldn't assume that any of the other talls are locked in to one end of the ground. It's a fair chance that we'll have a new coaching group next year, who may view how to best use our KPPs differently to the current coaching group.

And if a forward goes down there is nobody there either. Plus the quality isn’t there. If we land a forward we can send Kelly to the backline and then there is Keane from all the VFL games I went to in 2019 he was a stand out back there

From the mix that played Thursday we had Cameron, Kelly, Lynch and McMahon to come in as tall options that can role through if required. At the other end it’s Keane. Any more and you start stifling development. I’m already over the Kelly to defense talk it’s almost as played out as the Moore forward line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back