List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
we wont be a part of the "super draft", we gave away our 1st rounder and will use our 2nd and 3rd rounders for Nick Daicos, who could go #1
So, we've manoeuvred our way into picking up the best player in a "super draft". Think I'm ok with that.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's clear with the current coaching group, but are they likely to be the coaching group next year? I personally think our group pidgeon holes players too much and too quickly.

Yeah I think you’re half right.

We generally don’t pigeon hole them until after we have shoe horned them into positions that they don’t naturally play.

Case in point Josh Thomas, as a small forward.

Last edited:
we wont be a part of the "super draft", we gave away our 1st rounder and will use our 2nd and 3rd rounders for Nick Daicos, who could go #1
We will though. We’ll get one of, if not the best player in the super draft, as well as a second round prospect in Dib, handed to us. In addition to that there’s the possibility of trading in to the draft after a Daicos bid. I have no idea why anyone would complain about our current position, because in all likelihood it’s much stronger than it would be if we had our first rounder and no FS or NGA prospects....

yes - hence my point that we need a comprehensive assessment of our kids/list so we can decide who we trade for picks.
It will be a lost opportunity if we don’t have this assessment before the Super draft.

Of course we’ll also have future picks to use to trade back into this draft.
Any picks we trade in will be eaten up. It’s a pointless exercise if we’re trying to trade in to the draft and not just build points for a Daicos bid. As Loki said, we can’t actually trade in to the draft until draft night, and that can only be done with future picks.

Dean was up there in the overrated Rioli stakes.
Dean was talented but fat and lazy. Could have been a genuine star if he’d worked a bit harder.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
we can trade players for picks - hence my keenness to really get a good assessment of our kids this season.
Or if we uncover kids to fill existing holes in the list, we can then repriortise how we use our cap space.

Let's say you trade a good player for a top 25 pick and Daicos gets bid on top 3 as expected then he will eat that pick plus still eat the 2nd rounder.
So you are left still at the arse end of the draft.

Realistically you either need to trade at least 2 players (which becomes very expensive and very unlikely) or 2022 picks into this draft after the daicos bid with live trading.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Sorry, but what are you on about. The guy will be lucky to get on the park this year, has a chronic knee problem, and you are critical of me about him. We dodged one because he would be payed big money to sit in rehab, but hay he is tall, well there you go. Two years ago l would have been all for getting him to the club. But not now
But hay he is tall, and once was very good.
We just got rid of our rehab group. Think about that part.
Anyway l believe in the draft, and free agents, not spending two first for a player, no matter what we get back, unless that player is elite at the time.
Cameron we should have gone all in for, he is what we needed.
But if you like just just getting a tall

When did I say I was critical of you about him?

The word around here is 'phew, glad we passed on Ben Brown, got knee troubles' who gives a flying?! We're in no worse or better position but the way it's portrayed on these boards it's like we dodged a bullet. :confusedv1: It's a nothing conversation.

Don't know what the fascination was for him in the first place.

I've never advocated for let's go after Ben Brown, it's a pointless conversation when the club and the panel have much bigger fish to fry than landing a decent forward. Y'know like getting the game plan and structure right to actually advantage our forwards instead of going via cape horn to get it i50 so the opp can just walk it out of there.

Don't know why you or anyone else would think I have an interest in getting Ben Brown, an interest in a decent forward yeah but fixing our s**t game and structure would've been the first cab off the rank for mine.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Basically, I think our midfield is in dire straits over the next 3 years unless we get someone in to bolster it - and Petracca would probably be my first choice.

Midfield, forward, game and structure, what else, is there enough real estate on BF?

Can't believe the club has got itself into this mess, FMD!

well left

Premiership Player
May 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Let's say you trade a good player for a top 25 pick and Daicos gets bid on top 3 as expected then he will eat that pick plus still eat the 2nd rounder.

Realistically you either need to trade at least 2 players (which becomes very expensive and very unlikely) or 2022 picks into this draft after the daicos bid with live trading.

We’ve done our work to get the picks for Daicos with the exception of maybe another 2nd or 3rd.

If we’re trading anyone of significant value it’d make sense to do that for a 2022 pick which we could use to come back into this draft once Daicos is done and dusted. Or flip it for another player during trade week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Darcy Fogarty is OOC this year.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood

yes - your right, it has its challenges.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
The concept of training up and intensively studying our 2020 draftees so we can work out which one or two to get rid of at the end of the year so we can trade them for picks is nonsensical. Any player that we picked up last year in the 20's that suddenly moves up in value to the top 10 after one season is a keeper.... not somebody to flick for the next drafting opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back