List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what sort of position we'd be in if JDG accepted norths offer a few years back.
Beams made it pretty clear that they were willing to overload the cap in an attempt to win with the group. Probably would have offered more to Lynch got him, not won the flag and gotten into a pretty similar position cap wise, but with Lynch and whatever we drafted or traded with the DeGoey picks on the list instead of JDG we'd be in a better position now. .

Last edited:

Thedivided

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Beams made it pretty clear that they were willing to overload the cap in an attempt to win with the group. Probably would have offered more to Lynch got him, not won the flag and gotten into a pretty similar position cap wise, but with Lynch and whatever we drafted or traded with the DeGoey picks on the list instead of JDG we'd be in a better position now. .
Dunno when you put it that way if we'd of gotten Lynch i think we atleast get to grand final day in 19. Such things to ponder I suppose nothing will fix it anyway.

If he’s offered more than $650k post COVID it’s basically band 1. You’re seriously underestimating the compo he’d net.
It'll be along the lines of Daniher imo. First round compo immediately after our first pick. So pick 2 or 3.

I think if you can get Merrett in who will be 26 start of next year for hopefully nothing it's a really good result we have no players in that age bracket.

I don't understand why he would want to join Collingwood surely wants to end up at a contender.

Weidermam from Melbourne is a must get especially atm while he can't get a game.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I wonder what sort of position we'd be in if JDG accepted norths offer a few years back.

Its the most pointless discussion we could have. Firstly he was 22 at the time. Second coming off an almost AA year. Third we had just gone within a kick of a premiership. It was never even a remote possibility.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think if you can get Merrett in who will be 26 start of next year for hopefully nothing it's a really good result we have no players in that age bracket.

I don't understand why he would want to join Collingwood surely wants to end up at a contender.

Weidermam from Melbourne is a must get especially atm while he can't get a game.
Ideally you want your stars to be 26/7 when you start contending, e.g Martin and now bont and Petracca. Merrett for mine will be 29ish when we are back up there. I don’t think he’s an option on our timeline

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

You got the like for the bolded. If you add N Daicos, Merrett and Weideman to the current group you’re effectively agreeing to bring Buckley back because you aren’t re-building and there’s no way the club will replace him unless we’re clearing the decks. Our problems are unfortunately too deep to take this path, IMO.

POKsPies252

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Funny how in the space of a month we’ve gone from who are we going to get, to who’s going to go in order to obtain draft capital. Quick demise unfortunately 😕

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
What's the point of trading Noble for a 4th rounder? He's in our 22 and would be on a small contract. The sort of blokes that are important to keep. I dont get it.
I never said 4th, I said late 2nd or early 3rd. If we don't get a pick from 35-40, then I see no reason to trade him but Im just saying, if we could get a pick like that for him, I would do it and put our faith into Bianco/others on the list.

Wages only went down 3.5%
Ok then, $675k. $700k got band 1 last year. Assuming that JDG has his charges dropped and retains his career, there are plenty of teams who would be willing to offer that based on his talent alone.

I never said 4th, I said late 2nd or early 3rd. If we don't get a pick from 35-40, then I see no reason to trade him but Im just saying, if we could get a pick like that for him, I would do it and put our faith into Bianco/others on the list.
On cheap money, best 22. No reason to even entertain a trade. He has pace not many of our players have. That alone is valuable.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
There’s no good reason why we couldn’t have done the same thing that Sydney did with Tippett, that’s on us and Beams, not the AFL. I can only assume that Beams refused to be put on the rookie list and wanted his payout immediately. It sounds like a very Beams thing to do.

Doesn't really make much difference either way given our current TPP. Probably better to get it over and done rather than have it drag out and put up with the inevitable and incessant Beams discussion across 2021.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

I forgot about this change, so the idea of stockpiling points, via late picks, will only go so far.

We’ll probably get some by doing it, but I think we’ll definitely have to trade out a player or two and/or trade in next years future picks.

Just like the AFL to have changed the rules when we need to exploit them...

Will that be continued into the 2021 draft? I thought it was only ever implemented for 2020 because of the reduction of list sizes.

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
At season’s end, I think we should trade Noble.

He has developed nicely and isn’t damaged goods like so many others on our list, so would attract proper market value. We need points for Daicos and Dib and I reckon we’d get a second-rounder for Noble. I’d be a little sad to see him go but think he is very replaceable from within our existing squad.

We need to stop doing ridiculous fire-sale trades and instead trade a few out when their market value is relatively full. Noble is one of very few who fit the bill.

Tyler Brown and Madgen are another two acquired cheaply whose market value may have risen and are easily replaced. They should be considered too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
At season’s end, I think we should trade Noble.

He has developed nicely and isn’t damaged goods like so many others on our list, so would attract proper market value. We need points for Daicos and Dib and I reckon we’d get a second-rounder for Noble. I’d be a little sad to see him go but think he is very replaceable from within our existing squad.

We need to stop doing ridiculous fire-sale trades and instead trade a few out when their market value is relatively full. Noble is one of very few who fit the bill.

Tyler Brown and Madgen are another two acquired cheaply whose market value may have risen and are easily replaced. They should be considered too.

I'd be alright with moving Noble on I think. I believe we have the ability to replace him, especially if we look to recruit some more pacy players. I think it might be early to go on Tyler Brown, but I also don't see any of the potential in him some here do, so I would not be too upset.

Getting anything for Jack Madgen would be a win

Sep 19, 2011
Zeta Reticuli
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Victory
What's with the noble hate?

Decent player...breaks the lines ...durable and tries his guts out....ffs

Counter to that is, outside player, doesn’t like the hardball and not a great penetrating kick!

Ok at best and warming his position in the team for an emerging player ( so safe )

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
But De Goey has finished in the top 10 of the COpeland Once in what, 7 years. I seriously doubt he truly dominates at another club anyway.

Copeland is hardly a good measure. It rewards durability as much as performance. I'd be interested to know where JDG sits in terms of Copeland votes per game top 10 each year. I'd reckon he's well up there on those averages.

Last edited:

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
We're slow. We'd be mad to trade a senior player with pace.

You always look slow when you're chasing tail. I'd love some extra elite pace but I don't think we're slow.

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd be alright with moving Noble on I think. I believe we have the ability to replace him, especially if we look to recruit some more pacy players. I think it might be early to go on Tyler Brown, but I also don't see any of the potential in him some here do, so I would not be too upset.

Getting anything for Jack Madgen would be a win

It’s the Moneyball principle - we should be open to trading out ANY player on our list once their market (trade) value reaches or exceeds their intrinsic value to our team.

The original trading of Beams to Brisbane for pick 5, Crisp and Greenwood was the perfect example.

I’d happily ship off Noble and Tyler Brown if we can get second rounders (or thereabouts) for each of them. A third rounder for Madgen would do nicely. I doubt we’d particularly miss or regret trading any of that trio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back