List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yes....the Rocca call was madness....but it pails in comparison to S Mackee for pick 3.....pavlich, c'mon down!

It was McKee and pick 7 for pick 3. Many claim that Freo would have taken Pav at two if we had pick 3, but knew they could end up with both Pav and Hasleby, if Hasleby was taken first.

In 2018 it wasn't our delivery. It was our unpredictability and spread. Playing JDG / WHE out of the goalsquare. An underrated checkers and first year in stevo that was the difference.....not all attributed to our delivery.

And i never subscribe to the obvious stats about a players worth.
Because let me ask you this....how many goals in 2018 did Cox actually create or have a hand in? either by leading players away (or drawing them in) from the above mentioned players, or creating a spillage?

Those acts and stats are the real worth of a player to the team. But unfortunately in our game they are impossible to quantify as a 'stat'...so we go back to what we've done for 100 years and look at the basic stats to determine a players worth.

Its really not as simple as goals and behinds anymore. Far too much happens to create the opportunities for team mates.

Now.... to balance that, he drops too many easy ones and gets pushed off the ball too often. So he absolutely has his flaws and there is a reason he is out of the team.

My point was simply to provide an alternate view to the common narrative that perhaps, under a new coach with a different game plan, he may give us the 30+ we need from him....

FYI - It was his contracted size that clubs wouldn't take on.
one he wont get again....at any club.
So i'd be amazed if a club, with a clean slate and low(ish) wage, wouldn't take him on.

You overlooked the most important factor in assessing Cox and that is that he is too easily moved off the ball and out of position. that is his downfall and no coach or whatever is ever going to fix that. The problem it was causing is that it allowed the opposition to easily intercept our forward entries. Cox should have put on lots of weight in his early years to make him almost impossible to move, for whatever reason that didn't happen and we are left with a nothing player. Areal forward would be able to to all the things you said about Cox but actually be creative and kick goals

It was McKee and pick 7 for pick 3. Many claim that Freo would have taken Pav at two if we had pick 3, but knew they could end up with both Pav and Hasleby, if Hasleby was taken first.
They took Clinton King off our hands too along with pick 3.

You overlooked the most important factor in assessing Cox and that is that he is too easily moved off the ball and out of position. that is his downfall and no coach or whatever is ever going to fix that. The problem it was causing is that it allowed the opposition to easily intercept our forward entries. Cox should have put on lots of weight in his early years to make him almost impossible to move, for whatever reason that didn't happen and we are left with a nothing player. Areal forward would be able to to all the things you said about Cox but actually be creative and kick goals

I didn't miss that. i made reference to it in my post.
100% agree that's his worst attribute.

But i'll counter with this.....why the hell are we kicking it on his head???

I don't think there is another team that just bombs it on their key forward head as much as we do.
All other good teams let their forward jump into it.
Either he doesn't understand the game enough to create the space to jump into (coaching), or we never adjusted (coaching).

We never seemed (over 4 years) to adjust to the extra reach he has.
We seem to kick it to where the 196cm guy jumps to catch it, but the 211cm guy (which plus hands & jump is about 20-40cms higher) has to stand under it.
Its a subtle, but very big difference to what happens.

Anyway, just my take on this....and watching us kick it over everyones head on the weekend from 20m away tells me we didn't practice that enough!!

I have no doubt Steele would command a second round pick if he was put on the market. Although he has been ordinary this year their would be a few clubs in the window believing they could turn him around for the next couple of years. We are looking at it from the inside but other clubs will have different opinions about him
Probably get similar to what Norff got for Higgins last year

I don't think there is another team that just bombs it on their key forward head as much as we do.
Either he doesn't understand the game enough to create the space to jump into (coaching), or we never adjusted (coaching).

We seem to kick it to where the 196cm guy jumps to catch it, but the 211cm guy (which plus hands & jump is about 20-40cms higher) has to stand under it.

Anyway, just my take on this....and watching us kick it over everyones head on the weekend from 20m away tells me we didn't practice that enough!!
When they scrapped the hands in the back free, I don't understand why we didn't get him to play from behind in those push and shoves. He just always looks to take front position and he's not strong enough to hold it..

When they scrapped the hands in the back free, I don't understand why we didn't get him to play from behind in those push and shoves. He just always looks to take front position and he's not strong enough to hold it..
In all fairness if he got the same level of umpire protection as McKay, that would be a reasonable start.

I absolutely agree that we bomb away and do it very badly. If Cox gets space and a bit of a run up he is very hard to stop but I think every team has worked that out and it's too late for him to change it. We often play a 5 man forward line which doesn't help

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you know what….I’ve never thought about that. I agree it’s def worth a try!!
Can’t believe I didn’t think about that!
(Still hate that they changed that rule….probably the only black/white rule in the game!!!!! Let’s make it harder for umps!!)

But you know they’d ping him every day of the week!!!

I'd forgotten about that bloke. Always looked like he should have been on Smith St saying "chasing"
I lived near Smith st at that point. I used to reply "My name's not Jason"... poor junkies usually got confused. A few got a bit agro but it was always broad daylight and I'm 6ft 4 so not to worried

Our inside mid stock still needs more grunt. Someone like Will Brodie who you can get for chips is absolutely a no brainer...

None of Daicos, Pendlebury, De Goey is your contested ball winning machine, Adams need more support.

They shouldve bitten the bullet and traded Sidey last year. Now his value is virtually zero.

Instead we trade 21 and 26 year olds.

We're too sentimental & not forward thinking enough when it comes to these things. No doubt too important for the hierachy to try and cling on to their jobs, rather than properly help the team in the longer term. Now neither has happened, with changes only forced by the salary cap squeeze.

One of either Shankly or Paisley said he'd rather his players lose their legs playing for someone else. 50 - 60 years later and we still havent fully learned that lesson.

Our inside mid stock still needs more grunt. Someone like Will Brodie who you can get for chips is absolutely a no brainer...

None of Daicos, Pendlebury, De Goey is your contested ball winning machine, Adams need more support.

Brodie seems a bit of a sideways step when we already have a clunky big bodied mid with fitness issues in Sier. And career stats fairly similar

But agree that we look better when Adams has Sier in to support

Hoping for McInnes to come on in that role is probably better than Will Brodie, who would not play in our 22

He mentioned that

We really need to get really lucky with another Jarrod Lyons type situation or jag a state leaguer who does a Barlow.

I wonder if Will Brodie could be that guy? Was all the buzz last year and ironically, like Lyons, would also come from the suns for basically nothing

Good call. We can tinker though even before a coach is appointed. Mayne will retire to Freo as assistant coach if rumours are true, Cox should be traded out (someone would offer maybe a late third) and then whether we can trade out Sidey (Rich mentioned but Geelong also a consideration for Constable / Narkle).

Nope. Sav played in 2000 under him (and actually kicked a few bags when we won first 5) before he got injured / lost form. The worst part of all this was we didn't trade him for anything. We delisted him and NM picked him up with pick 30 in national draft.

Absolute madness.
MM got that one wrong.

Yeah but Ruscoe isn't that type of intercept marking defender.

Yet. He's a solid enough mark. Had 5 marks on Sunday. Happy to wait and see what he can do with more experience. Kelly 8 marks, 0 contested & 8 ITC's, Ruscoe 5, 1 & 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back