List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other pattern seems to be we almost always throw them forward

It's where the vacancies are. So you can get a few games into them without damaging the team as much. Plus it's a reality of Hine's drafting of a lot of blokes with questionable pace - noone plays slow defenders who aren't talls anymore.

Not at all. I think Jamie is a great player, but I'm a realist, and we wont be contenders for another 4 years, so what is the point of keeping such players. We should trade while they have value. I mean we have only won 2 premierships in 60 years. I think now is the time to be a little brave at the trade table. No doubt the team will be disadvantaged in the short term, Jamie's a great player when he's on the park.
Yes and I've supported the club for over 50 of them and understand the realities.

You can be as 'realistic' as you want with the list but there will be consequences from those that remain.

Loyalty is a two way street.

PIES FACING DELAYS ON SECURING NEW DEALS
COLLINGWOOD midfielder Brayden Sier has joined the growing list of out-of-contract Pies who will be forced to wait until season's end to receive an answer on their future.

Clubs are still waiting for details from the AFL on salary cap and list sizes for next year, while the Pies' search for a new coach has provided an added layer of complexity for decisions on their players.

Sier, 23, played the first five matches of the season but has featured just twice at AFL level since. He could be in line for a recall this weekend against West Coast with skipper and fellow onballer Scott Pendlebury ruled out for the remainder of the season.

The Pies have played nine debutants this season – including two under interim coach Robert Harvey – with Sier reduced to the VFL and scratch matches over the past two months.

Sier had interest from several clubs including Essendon in 2019 before re-signing for two years until 2021.

However, this time around the market for inside midfielders appears stacked full of options given many floated for trade last year were required to return to their original homes.

Veteran Chris Mayne is in a similar situation and will be required to wait until season's end, while talks on an extension for youngster Jay Rantall will pick up at the end of the campaign after a promising introduction at senior level.

Pendlebury will soon clinch a one-year extension, while Max Lynch will be an intriguing watch after impressing while filling Brodie Grundy's void for a fortnight mid-season.

Unsigned tall Mason Cox faces an uncertain future along with Josh Thomas, however Trey Ruscoe and Jack Ginnivan are expected to win new deals. – Mitch Cleary

Have to wait for a New Coach before any Re-Signing Happens

I'd hate to break it to you, but we're not going to be winning another flag any time soon no matter what we do.

As supporters we'll just have to suck up sitting in the bottom third / half of the ladder for however long it takes to build a contender properly this time - no short cuts, no salary cap slight of hand which would eventually just land us in the sh*t again anyway, no reaching for free agents expecting to be paid overs when their production doesn't come close to warranting it, just out of desperation for any level of "success" no matter how minor.
IF the club learns from there mistakes.

Jamie Elliott (age)

2022 - 29
2023 - 30
2024 - 31
2025 - 32

I think we can expect maybe 4 more years of Jamie at best.
I would keep him personally unless he wants out and if he does trading him for a good outcome, a future 1st from a contender.

You think the injury affected seasons will decrease with age

My concern with/for Rantall is how he gets into the mids.

We have Adams and DeGoey seemingly established probably with one of Crisp or Maynard with J Daicos on the cusp.

You then have Macrae and McInnes challenging him for a spot and maybe more highly rated with another mid apparently destined for us in this draft (I forget the name!)

I like Rantall and your points are valid but I fear he may be too far back in the pecking order to get a shot in the middle.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You also left out Nick Daicos whom will zoom straight past him also re midfield depth next year & beyond.

My concern with/for Rantall is how he gets into the mids.

We have Adams and DeGoey seemingly established probably with one of Crisp or Maynard with J Daicos on the cusp.

You then have Macrae and McInnes challenging him for a spot and maybe more highly rated with another mid apparently destined for us in this draft (I forget the name!)

I like Rantall and your points are valid but I fear he may be too far back in the pecking order to get a shot in the middle.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Jury well and truly out atm. Risks having multiple players move past him, as you say, or could click and become much needed midfield depth.

Hasnt kicked on, but has a great attitude and well liked. Weird knowing that we originally passed on Bianco for him in the draft.

Would love to hear the thoughts on him from inside the club, as they'll prob have made their minds up by now

If there has ever been an indication that Sidebottom wont be leaving the club, its the fact he's captaining the side this week.

I would expect Elliott to be on the trade table in all honesty, there has been talk of him leaving for the past few years. No idea if Buckley was the reason that he eventually decided to stay, but if it was, that pull is no longer there. Also as pointed out, unlikely to be within our next window of opportunity. If the price is right, I'd consider letting him go.

Maynard, I can understand his desire to wait until a coach has been appointed. He has another year to run on his contract, so really, no rush. If anything the rush is on the clubs side, as if the coach we select is not to Maynard's liking, then we need to trade him this year whilst we still have him contracted. If we wait a year and he is a free agent, our compensation will be based on his new contract, offset by any free agents we sign - depending on what the club does, this could result in a zero sum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there has ever been an indication that Sidebottom wont be leaving the club, its the fact he's captaining the side this week.

I would expect Elliott to be on the trade table in all honesty, there has been talk of him leaving for the past few years. No idea if Buckley was the reason that he eventually decided to stay, but if it was, that pull is no longer there. Also as pointed out, unlikely to be within our next window of opportunity. If the price is right, I'd consider letting him go.

Maynard, I can understand his desire to wait until a coach has been appointed. He has another year to run on his contract, so really, no rush. If anything the rush is on the clubs side, as if the coach we select is not to Maynard's liking, then we need to trade him this year whilst we still have him contracted. If we wait a year and he is a free agent, our compensation will be based on his new contract, offset by any free agents we sign - depending on what the club does, this could result in a zero sum.

Maynard would be a big loss, if he wanted out

You’re clearly 100% confident Clarko ends up at the pies.. or just being petty and arrogant

Those that know you on here will go with the latter 😆
I think you’ve forgotten what our friendly debate was about, and that was Clarkson seeing out his contract. Whether Clarkson lands at Collingwood or not is another argument all together.

And I’ll freely admit to being petty. Don’t pretend you wouldn’t have done the same, given a few weeks ago you were saying that you were going to bookmark my posts…

Anyway, let’s leave it at that hmm? I can revel in the fact I was right and you can stop believing statements from coaches towing the line.

Maynard would be a big loss, if he wanted out
I'm far from Maynards biggest fan - but given the state of our list, I would have no problems trading him at seasons end if he cannot commit to our future plans. We would likely get a first rounder in return, something that really will solve a lot of list issues going into the draft.

I think you'd find it hard pressed to find anyone who WANTS him to go, but if his heart is elsewhere then there is no point not shopping him.

If he were to go, would we find another player who can slot right in and play the exact same role, unlikely. However would we be able to find another half back who can compliment our team in the form of a late round draft pick on a state league player or cheap delisted free agent (a la, Nick Hind?) - I totally believe so.

I think if we can learn anything from the Grundy and Treloar deals, we need to think about contracts and deals with our head first and our heart second.

I think you’ve forgotten what our friendly debate was about, and that was Clarkson seeing out his contract. Whether Clarkson lands at Collingwood or not is another argument all together.

And I’ll freely admit to being petty. Don’t pretend you wouldn’t have done the same, given a few weeks ago you were saying that you were going to bookmark my posts…

Anyway, let’s leave it at that hmm? I can revel in the fact I was right and you can stop believing statements from coaches towing the line.

I love the banter and I’m falling onto your side of things, but I don’t think this is accurate. Clarko wasn’t towing the party line and was 100% genuine, IMO. I just think he’s been completely blindsided by the playing group.

I'm far from Maynards biggest fan - but given the state of our list, I would have no problems trading him at seasons end if he cannot commit to our future plans. We would likely get a first rounder in return, something that really will solve a lot of list issues going into the draft.

I think you'd find it hard pressed to find anyone who WANTS him to go, but if his heart is elsewhere then there is no point not shopping him.

If he were to go, would we find another player who can slot right in and play the exact same role, unlikely. However would we be able to find another half back who can compliment our team in the form of a late round draft pick on a state league player or cheap delisted free agent (a la, Nick Hind?) - I totally believe so.

I think if we can learn anything from the Grundy and Treloar deals, we need to think about contracts and deals with our head first and our heart second.
A first round pick for Maynard completely undersells his value. He is an elite defender, and capable of playing lockdown roles on smalls and talls. Losing Maynard for a first round pick is a huge loss

A first round pick for Maynard completely undersells his value. He is an elite defender, and capable of playing lockdown roles on smalls and talls. Losing Maynard for a first round pick is a huge loss
Not if he can't commit and doesn't want to be here...

Would would be worse is if at the end of 2022, he leaves as a free agent and we get compensation at best - equal to a first rounder. Should we be in a position to recruit a key Free Agent (which we should by this stage) this will nullify the compensation we receive.

Saad went for pick 9 when he was OOC. Maynard is pick 5 at least or 2 picks in the teens.

He’s the best medium defender (who can play tall) in the league.

Saad went for pick 9 when he was OOC. Maynard is pick 5 at least or 2 picks in the teens.

He’s the best medium defender (who can play tall) in the league.
And Essendon were lucky that Carlton had that pick available.

If that wasn't available, it was just as likely he would have walked in the PSD, like Jack Martin before him...

You can't get blood out of a stone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back