List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
“Jordan Boyd (Carlton), Charlie Ham (North Melbourne), Kye Declase (Melbourne), Jackson Callow (Hawthorn), Jed McEntee (Port Adelaide), Will Collins and Connor West (West Coast) all signed for six months and will be hopeful of extending their stays at their new clubs. “

Do we need to trade for Callow?

Do you ever get the feeling this is Collingwood all the time? I personally think it’s technique because Cyril Rioli’s endurance was poor yet he was alongside Libba Snr as the best pound for pound body tackler I’ve seen.

Possibly, but Cyril’s agility and explosiveness are off the charts. The word “explosive” has not been synonymous with Collingwood’s playing list for many a day.

Sier has a good size/speed combo and is a very good tackler. So too are Crisp and Maynard. Undermining my point is that De Goey is a poor tackler.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Not sure where else to put this but I found this interesting article which nicely encapsulates where we are at (obviously written before fly was appointed)

As a side note, it’s a really good website that I just happened to stumbled across. These articles are really enlightening given our rebuild:

I agree with some of the main article, but it lost me a bit with the stat focus around our competitiveness. Anyone who’s watched Collingwood knows that was the defining trait of Buckley’s coaching. Our system kept us competitive, but was probably the biggest inhibitor to our success in the end.

If Buckley and co had freed up our ball movement we’d have pinched the Lions and Power matches and possibly ANZAC day, but I guarantee we lose the Crows and Dees matches and possibly the Roos match. We have talent there and it’ll be the system that defines us, but unfortunately it’ll take McRae more than 12 months to establish it and cut the dead wood from the list which was consistently getting game time in 2021 (Brown x2, Sier, Cox, Madgen, Noble and JT).

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
“Jordan Boyd (Carlton), Charlie Ham (North Melbourne), Kye Declase (Melbourne), Jackson Callow (Hawthorn), Jed McEntee (Port Adelaide), Will Collins and Connor West (West Coast) all signed for six months and will be hopeful of extending their stays at their new clubs. “

Unless Fly has taken a particular liking to him it’s not happening. Callow’s been knocked back by the pies more than I’ve been knocked back by women- which is a lot! 😆

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Unless Fly has taken a particular liking to him it’s not happening. Callow’s been knocked back by the pies more than I’ve been knocked back by women- which is a lot! 😆

Hahahaha, good point. Hawks have a few KPFs.

29CBB721-B791-4685-8BF2-B64137CF67FC.png
Hawks will want to hang onto Gunston, Koschitzke & Lewis.

Do you ever get the feeling this is Collingwood all the time? I personally think it’s technique because Cyril Rioli’s endurance was poor yet he was alongside Libba Snr as the best pound for pound body tackler I’ve seen.
Yes. I think we're so obsessed with pinning the arms that we forget to line up the core. JDG is the opposite of those blokes, the worst pound for pound tackler I've seen.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Could be wrong, but I don’t think he played. There were maybe two matches post MSD and I’m pretty confident he missed the one against us.
He played against us, remember he missed some absolute sitters in front of goal. Had a few shots and clunked a couple. There was plenty of supply for them though..

“supposedly” is the operative word - combine endurance result could be an outlier - because I doubt we would have been so keen to get Reef if his endurance long term was in question.
Rendell has claimed that Cripps made us re-write our recruitment. We'd crossed him off due to subpar endurance. We're now willing to recruit blokes with subpar endurance if we think they've got the character and work ethic to overcome it. No idea where Reef fits in that.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
He played against us, remember he missed some absolute sitters in front of goal. Had a few shots and clunked a couple. There was plenty of supply for them though..

Yeah looking at his numbers I’m actually surprised they got that much footy in post MSD. BH were dominant across the 4 matches he played and his numbers were ok. I prefer Lewis and Jeka, but it’ll be an interesting period for Callow. On a side note surely all the eastern seaboard 6 month contract players earn another year?

I would imagine Reef might start his AFL career in defence while he improves his tank. He played that role for Oakleigh in his bottom age year when Rowell Anderson Bianco etc were in the midfield
Might open up opportunities to release Crisp and Maynard where required
Agree, which means lots of moaning about blokes not being played in their natural position.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah looking at his numbers I’m actually surprised they got that much footy in post MSD. BH were dominant across the 4 matches he played and his numbers were ok. I prefer Lewis and Jeka, but it’ll be an interesting period for Callow. On a side note surely all the eastern seaboard 6 month contract players earn another year?
You’d think some concessions would be allowed given the interruptions. Not a fair chance to earn another contract for most.

Were any shoret term stop gaps taken in the MSD?

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reckon Sydney would take both Lynch and Sier for Dylan Stephens?

:moustache:

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Possibly, but Cyril’s agility and explosiveness are off the charts. The word “explosive” has not been synonymous with Collingwood’s playing list for many a day.

Sier has a good size/speed combo and is a very good tackler. So too are Crisp and Maynard. Undermining my point is that De Goey is a poor tackler.
McCreery is probably the best Collingwood tackler I can remember in quite some time. Fast, explosive, strong, and tackles to punish

Trickster

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Not a situation I've looked into, but I agree with the general comments of others. The AFL's ruling when there was conjecture about who was paying Treloar what is we had an initial contract with Treloar and had to make up the balance of what the 'dogs wouldn't cover. Not sure who holds what contracts with Treloar, but unless there's a clause reducing our liability should Treloar be on-traded the only way can I see our financial burden to Treloar being reduced is in the unlikely event that a future club agreed to pay Treloar more than what the 'dogs are. I say unlikely as why would they pay more than the dogs with our amount set and us not part of the trade negotiation?

With the 'dogs agreeing to take on a certain amount they'd be seemingly be locked into that and any balance like we were with his initial contract. Therefore we wouldn't be on the hook for more.

Using the numbers rumoured:

Total wage: 900k

Currently
Collingwood locked into: 300k
WB: 600k

If a future club paid less than 600k the dogs make up the balance. If a future club paid more than 600k I'd assume* our part would reduce.

*In the unlikely event that a club agreed to take on more than 600k the unknown becomes how much we paid of that in 2021. As seen with Beams' front loading the only way the lions could recoup that spend is via better draft picks at the trade table. If a club paid more than the 'dogs commitment and we've front loaded our liability is it even possible to get that back?
Thanks Barrackers, the only we get out of all this it seems is if he voluntarily retires which doesn't seem likely.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks Barrackers, the only we get out of all this it seems is if he voluntarily retires which doesn't seem likely.

Treloars payments were deffered payments, it doesn't matter if another club offers him more then the dogs as the money is owed from previous years at the pies.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers

No. Maybe have a look at him as an SSP or in the MSD next year if he gets squeezed out at the Hawks (and shows good form somewhere in the case if it's the MSD we're considering him in), but there's no way should he be occupying a senior list spot anywhere at the moment.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Were any shoret term stop gaps taken in the MSD?

It probably depends on what people’s definition of short term stop gap is. If you’re talking play now on a 6 month deal, no one AFAIK, but Parker’s one that springs to mind even though I think he got a longer deal. It was a pretty astute pick by the Tiges, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back