List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both. Age catching up with our vets and injuries cruelling Adams. Our inside midfield stocks are paper thin , it needs upgrading badly.
I think the biggest change in our fortune was the absence of Moore and Howe. When they take an intercept mark they also tend to follow up with attacking play. This allows our mids to turn and find space quicker to begin a forward chain. If those two stay fit this year I don’t think it’s unrealistic to see us win more often next season.

I think the biggest change in our fortune was the absence of Moore and Howe. When they take an intercept mark they also tend to follow up with attacking play. This allows our mids to turn and find space quicker to begin a forward chain. If those two stay fit this year I don’t think it’s unrealistic to see us win more often next season.
Moore was a massive loss, he makes us better, more drive from defense, blunts opposition attacks. When you couple that with what Howe brings to the table the sum of the two is greater than each individually. I am more bullish than most that we can rebound quickly, I believe we will be knocking on the door of the eight next year.

Please sell him to me?! He didn’t miss a beat following the collarbone injury in pre-season, he couldn’t get a game because his VFL form was iffy at best and he struggled when he played. All I have in my mind is the dropped chest marks under no pressure that resulted in turnover goals. At VFL level…

I’m not buying into the clean run with injury line, but the development pathway is all we have now, IMO. I mean if you ask Buckley and co what his role is it’s defender (U18), forward (years 1 & 2), defender (once Moore’s thrown forward) and forward (once Moore’s thrown back).

It’s not going to be a good sell as I largely agree with you. I suspect getting confidence and continuity into his body will assist with his overall confidence. I’m pinning most of my hope on the coaching changes and the fact that there was talent there to start with.

That said, I wouldn’t hold back on trying to find a Roughead replacement and pin all my hopes on him or Keane for that matter. I still think we need to be looking for another young defender to come in.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

At the risk of being to late already and just sounding salty. Was anyone else underwhelmed by available footage of Stephens? Could be more to the reason that he’s one of 2 players who hasn’t really played from the top 10 of his draft year

One that I’d be pretty happy slipping through to the keeper

Moore was a massive loss, he makes us better, more drive from defense, blunts opposition attacks. When you couple that with what Howe brings to the table the sum of the two is greater than each individually. I am more bullish than most that we can rebound quickly, I believe we will be knocking on the door of the eight next year.
I'm with you there. We had so many close losses this season too, even with our injuries. 1 point to the Lions, 1 point to Port, 10 points to Geelong, 12 points to Freo, 9 points to St Kilda and even 16 points to the Dogs. Many of those games were very winnable.

As McRae was saying on 360, Hawthorn were able to somewhat turn their season around in the middle of the year, taking it right up to some of the top 8 teams. I think we can do similarly.

I'm with you there. We had so many close losses this season too, even with our injuries. 1 point to the Lions, 1 point to Port, 10 points to Geelong, 12 points to Freo, 9 points to St Kilda and even 16 points to the Dogs. Many of those games were very winnable.

As McRae was saying on 360, Hawthorn were able to somewhat turn their season around in the middle of the year, taking it right up to some of the top 8 teams. I think we can do similarly.
You're right, it just seems we are moving in the right direction. Might be a bit of a slow burn getting a game plan set and working but should finish strong.

Were our close wins also very losable?

delisted free agent. chol previously was delisted which is why he now is an unrestricted free agent. tigers will get a compo pick.
I had a feeling that what he meant (which is obviously wrong) but I wanted confirmation before using a sledgehammer. And yes, as a UFA the Tigs will get compo provided the deal he receives from GC is deemed compo worthy.

At the risk of being to late already and just sounding salty. Was anyone else underwhelmed by available footage of Stephens? Could be more to the reason that he’s one of 2 players who hasn’t really played from the top 10 of his draft year

One that I’d be pretty happy slipping through to the keeper

Yeah me too. Could become a good player but he was giving me some Johnno O'Rourke vibes. What a bust of a pick 2 he was! 21 games, across 2 clubs in 6 years and done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were never in the saints and Geelong games.

Despite us still paying a big chunk of his salary, 3 million over 5 years is still too much for Treloar. So from their perspective (and ours) , it was still a salary dump trade.

My view is that we needed to offload Treloar and in the end were lucky to find a club to take on as much salary as the Dogs did in last years climate of covid cuts.
Absolutely true. It’s a very different position to Lipinski. We were forcing a contracted player out the door against his will who had a massive contract to be considered. All at the last minute

Situation was of our making and no other club had a responsibility to shouldering some of our load

Adz is much more a 600k player than 900k and the Dogs were in the their rights to only
offer that. We bent ourselves ove not the Dogs

Lipinski has a contract offer from the Dogs and not many players would choose to go straight to the PSD in that situation. I don’t think we should offer anything much for him and certainly shouldn’t pay overs but we should talk trades

Adz is much more a 600k player than 900k and the Dogs were in the their rights to only
offer that. We bent ourselves ove not the Dogs

600k for two years might be about right. But for 5 years, it's overs. They wouldn't have done that if he was a bloke being re-signed.

IMO, we had a ripping run with injury this year and the only matches from those close ones that maybe turn on player availability are Port (Adams, Elliott and Howe) and Fremantle (Moore and Howe). We were dominated in the Dogs, Cats and Saints games with the end scores flattering us.

Im
Ah, so win by 15 is losable but win by 18 is not. Gotcha.
[/QUOTEIm not sure what you mean, if you win by 15 points we werent that close to losing the game, I'm not the one who said about the close losses and I never mentioned anything about 18 points, that's not a close loss, I'd also add that some of our close losses such as the Geelong and saints game, the scoreboard flattered us and we were never in the games

IMO, we had a ripping run with injury this year and the only matches from those close ones that maybe turn on player availability are Port (Adams, Elliott and Howe) and Fremantle (Moore and Howe). We were dominated in the Dogs, Cats and Saints games with the end scores flattering us.
Yet we know bad kicking is bad football.

600k for two years might be about right. But for 5 years, it's overs. They wouldn't have done that if he was a bloke being re-signed.

The narrative was that we were perhaps trying to get rid of our remaining debt over a shorter period of time. Hopefully by next season we will be clear and we can focus on paying players on our own list.

Regardless, even if we turn those two games into wins we are finishing ahead of Hawthorn and probably ahead of Carlton, as our % would have been improved. Leaving us 13th, behind Richmond, while debuting the most players in the competition. Not a bad spot to be in.

Buddha and Longmuir?

Yeah. They come in post 2017 and we see a massive spike in performance. The defensive brain gets appointed head coach of Freo and we lose the midfield mind after one match in 2020. I understand that some will say that I’m putting a large emphasis on the work of assistants which I can’t argue, but when you consider the drop in output since they left and how highly they were regarded I can’t help wondering what might have been.

I think what really stalled us in those close games was the plan to defend. It would have been better to attack more because that Carlton game early on in the season was proof that in order to win, you can't be defensive. I would have thought Buckley might have clicked that the stand rule was brought in to stop defence, therefore it would be unlikely attacking was the right game plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back