List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. They come in post 2017 and we see a massive spike in performance. The defensive brain gets appointed head coach of Freo and we lose the midfield mind after one match in 2020. I understand that some will say that I’m putting a large emphasis on the work of assistants which I can’t argue, but when you consider the drop in output since they left and how highly they were regarded I can’t help wondering what might have been.
Buddha is an interesting one Sco. We have heard nothing but good things from players, glowing in fact, and other footy connected people. Longmuir is on a celestial trajectory, yet Hocking has not been linked to anything or anyone remotely top level let alone AFL.
My own take is that he isn't really cut from the cloth of a 'new age' type of guy, he uses very plain speak, heart and soul language. It's a shame when he really appeared to be able to connect with guys, particularly our own mid group.

So what's the actual latest on Dylan Stephens? Is he confirmed as staying or is the language around the Herald Sun still "likely" and so on?

Highly Likely staying at Sydney

I just have no faith in Will Kelly becoming a key defensive pillar. Not due to a lack of talent but he just seems way too injury prone. Not sure he's made it through any of his senior appearances to date without finishing injured on the bench.

He be a Key Forward anyway now

Volume wise our injury run wasn’t bad, absolutely, but when you have 3 of your top 5 players in Moore, Howe and Adams out for extended periods during the year it’s difficult to class this year as good on the injury front either…

I’d be surprised if that weren’t par for the course league wide! Very quickly off the top of my head the WB were without Dunkley, Treloar and Bruce for extended periods. Geelong without Cameron, Duncan and Stewart. Richmond without Dusty, Nankervis and Prestia. The reality is that in this day and age losing key players for extended periods is the norm and for Collingwood in 2021 mentioning injuries in a negative context makes me cringe a little. I also should have probably added that the “ripping run” was in the context of the previous 10 years because whilst I think we had a good run it’s nothing on the Dees.

Last edited:
I may be in the minority. But I’d prefer Maynard and crisp in our backline. It’s our only elite line with all them there. I don’t see the advantage of moving either permanent to mid, and then trying to plug holes in defence. When noble and madge are best 22 there’s no depth. Just keep them in defence and develop mids. We have more midfield options coming through than capable defenders like Maynard and crisp. Adding daicos, with macrae and reef in development, potentially lipinksi on wing.

I think we need to retain at least one in the backline.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d be surprised if that weren’t par for the course league wide! Very quickly off the top of my head the WB were without Dunkley, Treloar and Bruce for extended periods. Geelong without Cameron, Duncan and Stewart. Richmond without Dusty, Nankervis and Prestia. The reality is that in this day and age losing key players for extended periods is the norm and for Collingwood in 2021 mentioning injuries in a negative context makes me cringe a little. I also should have probably added that the “ripping run” was in the context of the previous 10 years because whilst I think we had a good run it’s nothing on the Dees.
Probably just an average run, which for us was massive progress. Usually by now, 3 quarters of the newbies would have picked up the necessary scar tissue to make them ongoing concerns.

I hope will Kelly is moved to down back, as l think it’s his natural position

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I may be in the minority. But I’d prefer Maynard and crisp in our backline. It’s our only elite line with all them there. I don’t see the advantage of moving either permanent to mid, and then trying to plug holes in defence. When noble and madge are best 22 there’s no depth. Just keep them in defence and develop mids. We have more midfield options coming through than capable defenders like Maynard and crisp. Adding daicos, with macrae and reef in development, potentially lipinksi on wing.
Maynard stays in defence for mine. He is a jet. As a mid-fielder, will he be able to find the footy? He'd be great in the contest, but I love what he brings down back.

The big improvement needs to come from Q. He needs to take the game on every f**king time he can. Stop p***y footing around and take em on. Run and carry and break the lines. Become a 80 metre player instead of a 40. He needs to quadruple his metres gained and forward 50 entries in 2022.

Hopefully Fly thinks the same way.

Last edited:
On one of the Legends Members Zoom sessions one of the assistant coaches said that Kelly sees himself as a forward and wants to try and make it in AFL as a forward.

Was that pre or post McRae joining? Real tail wagging the dog mentality right there!

Was that pre or post McRae joining? Real tail wagging the dog mentality right there!
Will's preference was expressed to the coaches during the final weeks of Buckley's reign. I have misgivings about Maynard's preference to play midfield too.

Or just some honesty. Nothing wrong knowing what the player's own beliefs and aspirations are. Medhurst saw himself play a leading forward role and had the conviction to express this.

It doesn't necessarily mean that he wouldn't try his best in any other position that the team needed him to play in.

On one of the Legends Members Zoom sessions one of the assistant coaches said that Kelly sees himself as a forward and wants to try and make it in AFL as a forward.
How he sees him self is irrelevant if that’s not how the coaching staff see him.

One of the variables that is rarely taken into account is the comparative difficulty of the draw. It's something that is a bit of a moveable feast during the year and may affect ladder position by several rungs one way or the other. I CBF doing that analysis but suspect a team like Essendon probably had an easier run than St Kilda for example. I'd reckon our draw was perhaps a bit more difficult than teams around us. Conversely it will probably work in our favour this season
Good call. We finished 6th in 20 so we automatically were playing multiple teams from top 6 in that year twice (Bris and Port and possibly another team. Finishing 13th if you're decent gives you a good leg up as you play multiple teams from bottom 6 twice, which is why Rich in 17 and us in 18 rose significantly.

Why I also wanted Carlton to finish 12th. They can be reasonable if they sort themselves out and have the luxury of playing 2 or 3 teams in bottom 6 twice next year.

Probably just an average run, which for us was massive progress. Usually by now, 3 quarters of the newbies would have picked up the necessary scar tissue to make them ongoing concerns.
Yes, I believe i heard Pert in an interview say the Dees at present have every listed player available for selection ( aside from the now retired Jones although he is also fit ). That not a bad place to be in.

I hope will Kelly is moved to down back, as l think it’s his natural position
I read this a lot. Is it from things you've seen or just where he played when he was 18?

The brief snippets i've seen of him, I don't think he's a natural anything yet. Although I have seen a couple of launches at packs which make me think he might be suited to forward.

How he sees him self is irrelevant if that’s not how the coaching staff see him.

How he sees himself is very important but secondary to the needs of the team.

I think the biggest change in our fortune was the absence of Moore and Howe. When they take an intercept mark they also tend to follow up with attacking play. This allows our mids to turn and find space quicker to begin a forward chain. If those two stay fit this year I don’t think it’s unrealistic to see us win more often next season.

That’s completely unrealistic lmao, don’t think I’ve ever seen them fit together for any period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back