List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to stop you there. JUH is the only bloke I have ever seen who doesn't need a run up. He can can jump on your head from a standing start. Regardless of what some idiots on here might tell you, I actually do have a couple of contacts in the U18's recriuiting and development departments and from what they have told me, he is something else. Brace yourself because this kid is the real thing
I hope you're right.

People are way too keen to offload Grundy for starters and secondly if we don’t want his contract why would any other club?

I’m keen to see what Grundy offers next season under a new game plan and new coach. Posters here consistently talk about his ruck work and him dropping the ball at his feet. Do you think that is Grundy doing what Grundy wants, Grundy doing the only thing he can do or Grundy rucking to directions from the coaching staff as to how they wanted the game set up? I’m tipping given how we liked to play and defend and support our defense that is was probably the last point more than the first two.

Trading Grundy now would result in us getting less than we want and paying part of his salary. Basically another Treloar…. I don’t see it happening and frankly I don’t want us to…. I’m backing Grundy to return to 2018 form.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm actually shocked the media aren't already going with "stalemate" etc. between the two parties. Only a matter of time!

Have to wait to Start of Trade Period for that

Our previous deal on Witts and likely deal to shift Mason Cox for peanuts don't really support your argument.
In comparison to previous ruck trades and in consideration of his VFL form and curve up Witts was unders at the time. He also started the year as our number 1 ruck before a finger injury gave Grundy a chance. Unlike Lynch unfortunately he couldn’t get senior game time as Grundy grabbed that chance. Anyone who seen his VFL performances was saying one of GC’s picks in the 20s should have been the target. His performances at GC show that was a correct view instead of the junk picks for f/s points that we got.

Cox who will be 31 before the start of next season is a different matter due to his age.

As much as i think Maguire did a great job at the pies, with some mistakes ie getting Buckley as coach.
We are even now still paying for mistakes we did in the past.
Buckley and Maguires desperation to win a second premieship and the backending of some of the bigger contracts.
My mail is we are going to trade one or two big names out again this trade period due to salary cap issues as the major issue and Nick Daicos secondary issue.
I hope if it does happen we are transparent and honnest to the players involved unlike Treloar and Stephenson, which reduces the likelyhood of getting ripped off like last year.
So who would you put in the frame as possible "big name" trades?

So who would you put in the frame as possible "big name" trades?
I really dont know mate, all i can tell you we will be trading one or two big names out.
If i was to guess? there has been some talk about Maynard not sure of anyone else.
If its going to happen and i was list manager, i like what Clarkson did at Hawthorn trade out the oldies on reasnably big deals i.e Pendels and Sidebottom those 2 would be worth at least 1.5 million of salary relief. Harsh but if you have to do it and your hands a tied you have no choice!
Obviously Grundy would probably be worth 2 first rounders so if you trade him your back in the draft.
We are not chalenging in the next 3 or 4 years at least we may as well make the hard calls now!

A couple of things. The dogs don’t have their 2021 1st and they’re in the same boat as us needing to find points for Darcy. I expect they’ll trade English out so the real question will be how close the two teams can get before we walk away.

His season was really disappointing after a very promising start. Just seems to lack the aggression you want/need in a tall. Might be a good move by them, a bit risky though as he's got a lot of talent. might depend on the time lines they envisage for JUH and Darcy and whether they can attract a ruckman they have confidence in.

Last edited:
His season was really disappointing after a very promising start. Just seems to lack the aggression you want/need in a tall. Might be a good move by them, a bit risky though as he's got a lot of talent.
English looked a better as a forward in the grand final, but the dogs potentially have better pure forwards.

Not sure I agree honestly.

Even more so given we were the only team to beat them convincingly this year.

Even missing Howe and Moore for most of this year we were one of the better defences of the year, I see this only getting stronger with better coaching and some luck with injuries. We also lost Quaynor too for a decent stretch.

Now with Grundy having a pre-season with a ruck coach and again under a better coach in general, I don't' see why he can't get back to the heights of 2018. The midfield will be better for De Goey moving in there basically full time as well as Daicos coming in.

I know it's easy to be down on the list when we're not playing well, but I saw much of the same sentiment in 2017 and I was one of the only ones (actually I might be the only one) who saw our list as better than Richmonds at the time. 2018 at least somewhat validated that opinion.

Henry, Bianco, Daicos, Brown, Quaynor, Reef McInnes, McRae, Kelly, Poulter and McReery should all hopefully improve and show more with proper development and the experience they gained in 2021.

Don't get me wrong, much of the above is dependent on 2 assumptions:

1) Some good luck with injuries

2) The new coaching group is far more competent than the previous one

I think competitiveness against the best teams is also a good guide to future prospects- and we were competitive.

As much as i think Maguire did a great job at the pies, with some mistakes ie getting Buckley as coach.
We are even now still paying for mistakes we did in the past.
Buckley and Maguires desperation to win a second premieship and the backending of some of the bigger contracts.
My mail is we are going to trade one or two big names out again this trade period due to salary cap issues as the major issue and Nick Daicos secondary issue.
I hope if it does happen we are transparent and honnest to the players involved unlike Treloar and Stephenson, which reduces the likelyhood of getting ripped off like last year.

Your mail from what source?
And who are the big names?

I really dont know mate, all i can tell you we will be trading one or two big names out.
If i was to guess? there has been some talk about Maynard not sure of anyone else.
If its going to happen and i was list manager, i like what Clarkson did at Hawthorn trade out the oldies on reasnably big deals i.e Pendels and Sidebottom those 2 would be worth at least 1.5 million of salary relief. Harsh but if you have to do it and your hands a tied you have no choice!
Obviously Grundy would probably be worth 2 first rounders so if you trade him your back in the draft.
We are not chalenging in the next 3 or 4 years at least we may as well make the hard calls now!
Interesting call.
Personally I wouldn't want to get rid of any of the mentioned players but I certainly understand the thinking. It is very interesting. I mean how much worse would we be if we did get 2 firsts for Grundy and retain Lynch. Two firsts would be on chips for 1st couple of years so we would be in a position to sub Grundy's wages for that period. Not that I am suggesting it, but would we be contending earlier??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What Hawthorn did was very different. They basically cut two champions at the end of their careers - in order to create space for blokes who were at peak career age. They didn't trade out blokes at peak career age like you're suggesting with Grundy and Maynard they traded them in. Plus what Hawthorn did didn't work at all, so not a relevant example to follow anyway.

Pendles latest contract would be much less than when he was at his peak.
So not sure he and Sidey would account for $1.5 mill.

Pendles latest contract would be much less than when he was at his peak.
So not sure he and Sidey would account for $1.5 mill.
I hope they wouldn't. Not sure when Sidey was last out of contract though, he may be on big coin with backend deals haveing been rife. But even if they are on that much combined, you're not going to get clubs who would take on all or even most of that salary.

Interesting call.
Personally I wouldn't want to get rid of any of the mentioned players but I certainly understand the thinking. It is very interesting. I mean how much worse would we be if we did get 2 firsts for Grundy and retain Lynch. Two firsts would be on chips for 1st couple of years so we would be in a position to sub Grundy's wages for that period. Not that I am suggesting it, but would we be contending earlier??

I really don’t think we’re getting two firsts for Grundy, especially if we’re initiating the discussion.

The only way you get anywhere near that is if a club tries to get him out. Unlikely given the length of his contract.

I really don’t think we’re getting two firsts for Grundy, especially if we’re initiating the discussion.

The only way you get anywhere near that is if a club tries to get him out. Unlikely given the length of his contract.

He’s the exact ruckman beveridge is wanting. With Darcy coming in, if JUH was dispensable then could be a goer.

If we get Lippa & Freddy over the line in the first few days, I expect another earthquake to come.
If we can get them done during trade week off of cheapy future picks I wonder who we would target in the PSD?
Assuming Stengle would be an option as we interviewed him during the mid season draft.
I’m on the Dunstan train if he is keen on coming to us.

How good would it be if we could poach Ben king end of next season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back