List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
“I wouldn’t have thought so” and “ I don’t think that is in our thinking at the moment” was how he characterised it

To me he didn’t specifically down play trading stars. He was pushed to give and answer when questioned and was deliberately non specific. To say no comment when pressed would have created a spark. He gave a layered multi possibility answer that can be interpreted a number of ways.

It wasn’t a convincing denial and I am sure that’s because, especially at that time of year, he was uncertain whether more cuts to the list will be required.

Are you suggesting trading big names, despite GE comments, is a realistic possibility due to cap issues?

Funny, I’ve always considered “I wouldn’t have thought so” as a very Australian way of saying no. On par with “yeah nah”.
Context is everything. He didn’t seek to
discuss the cap, it was bought up for him. The thing he did confirm was there was still a hangover effect. Other non specifics he gave in the answers were

“We have issues but there not insurmountable”
“Hasn’t been discussed yet”
“There hasn’t been any conversation at this point about end of year list”
“No concrete decisions have been made from that perspective”

His answers then were littered with avoiding definite answers. I am not saying it will happen or anything but I am not sure how anyone could take Wrights answers as a strong statement it was off the table.

He essentially said it hasn’t been discussed but we have a hangover that’s not insurmountable. Gives him wriggle room for all outcomes.

Are you suggesting trading big names, despite GE comments, is a realistic possibility due to cap issues?
I don’t have any idea but wrights answers were deliberately non commital, which I would take to mean, at least when the interview was done, he wasn’t certain either way. He had a problem “hangover” but the solution was uncertain.

I can tell you right now.

There isn't a Treloar or Stephenson situation happening.
They've cleared enough cap for this year with retirements and contract cuts (Pendles took a big one for his new two year extension)

It's a quite trade period with two players at the moment coming in, point gathering and Nick Daicos plus potentially Dib coming through the draft.
Have you heard if we are linked to any delisted free agents?

A massive no to Dunstan. We need to find and develop quality mids - not NQR mids - unless they're being recruited for a different role.
He’s not NQR, who is available for selection in the PSD with stats similar to his? We need another in and under body doing the grunt work. Have to protect the younger boys learning their craft playing in the middle.
Clearances are elite and before someone mentions disp. efficiency… FWIW Adams is worse.

Question for the BF Draft experts, Can you select a player that has been delisted from previous years for the PSD?

I think it’s possible despite my rebuking of 12kilos post, but in the context of GW’s comments you’re looking at moving Sidebottom as opposed to Grundy or Maynard.

The biggest indicator to me we won’t have big outgoings is Lipinski and Kreuger as incomings. I don’t know what you’d have to be smoking to justify moving on Maynard (for instance) due to cap concerns only to then bring in two speculative types that would match the outgoing wage of Maynard?

Hawks supporter on TR just suggested they trade picks 21/24 for our 2022 first...
Clearly this bloke doesn't realize that we're rebuilding like the hawks and I can't see us trading that out. My jaw dropped when he said that lol

"he has made his money" Im not sure if thats how this works.
You dont think there should be some
And we can look forward to spending the next decade down the bottom of the ladder following this strategy. Do you really think a new coaching group are going to come in and simply gut the current playing list?

There is little chance of Pendles being traded. I'm not against Sidey being offered up as he still offers somehting and could still play for 2-3 more years so someone nearing the premiership window might be enticed by his run and carry.

As for Grundy - no club will touch him with his current contract so its a moot point. DeGoey will attract offers next year as he becomes a FA - we should listen to those offers and work out whats best for the CFC
So let me get this right , your saying if we implement my stratergy we will be at the bottom of the ladder right? In other words getting rid of Degoey Grundy Pendels and Sidebottom.
We finished 17th we are already in the bottom of the ladder with them!
If we implement my stratergy we may end up with another 2 high end elite kids not including Daicos jnr that will make it 3.
We play Lynch and Cameron in the ruck, we still have enough experience in the list which hopefully will quicken our rebuild

Context is everything. He didn’t seek to
discuss the cap, it was bought up for him. The thing he did confirm was there was still a hangover effect. Other non specifics he gave in the answers were

“We have issues but there not insurmountable”
“Hasn’t been discussed yet”
“There hasn’t been any conversation at this point about end of year list”
“No concrete decisions have been made from that perspective”

His answers then were littered with avoiding definite answers. I am not saying it will happen or anything but I am not sure how anyone could take Wrights answers as a strong statement it was off the table.

He essentially said it hasn’t been discussed but we have a hangover that’s not insurmountable. Gives him wriggle room for all outcomes.
Exactly. Insurmountable means we have the capabilities to resolve the issues. Those capabilities could be anything from Trading Grundy to doing nothing and toughing it out.

What do you imagine Lynch's fair value to be? He hasn't been able to break into a team that finished 17th and couldn't displace a project player from the USA or another recruit (Cameron) who couldn't get a game at Sydney - who aren't exactly over-endowed with quality ruckmen.
It’s hard to gauge with two VFL seasons impacted by COVID. He played an excellent game against Melbourne and was unfairly dropped for Grundy in my view, Cox/Cameron should have come out based on form.

Hard to get a game when Grundy is in the side,tough ask for a project player ruck to also be competent enough forward of the ball too.

He is a prospect, speculative but a prospect based on his exposed form in VFL and AFL. The fact he was late to the game of AFL I would say hisceiling is high if his work ethic is right. I’d go in hard and ask for a late first rounder…he could be a spud but he could also be the next Witts. We traded a first rounder forthat dud from Brisbane and Jolly. Why not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE TOP 10 PLAYERS WHO WILL MAKE AN INSTANT IMPACT AT NEW CLUBS

3. Patrick Lipinski (Collingwood)

As a Dogs wingman, who played 73 per cent in that role this year, he’s just a handy player.

He was the sub for much of the year so, using another metric, his 19 possessions per 100 minutes is smack bang on the average for an AFL wingman.

But when looking at his potential, consider the four VFL games he played this year as an inside midfielder.

He averaged 156 ranking points, 35 touches, 13 contested possessions, seven clearances, 2.5 centre square clearances, 1.3 goals, 7.8 score involvements and 4.8 tackles.

There is no reason he can’t make an immediate splash with a top-five best-and-fairest finish next year, alongside Scott Pendlebury, Jordan De Goey, Taylor Adams and Steele Sidebottom as they give the young kids in Nick Daicos and Finlay Macrae some cover as they find their feet.

11. Nathan Kreuger (Collingwood)
Kreuger is a canny acquisition by the Pies, who will win his services despite the interest of St Kilda. The Cats swingman has played only a single AFL game in three years - two of them with few real VFL games.

But in his first VFL season, he showed he can be an aerial threat averaging eight marks, three intercept marks and seven intercept possessions.

He also pushed forward to kick six goals against Coburg in that season and wants to play forward, so will have a chance to join Brody Mihocek and Darcy Cameron as a marking target in a team crying out for more of them.

End of Buttifant then. Talk at one stage was we wanted to bulk up because the Cats outmuscled us. Doesn't look like we've tried to bulk up for a while now. I expect us to in this attempted re-build.
If that was the talk somehow we did the complete opposite of that.

It’s hard to gauge with two VFL seasons impacted by COVID. He played an excellent game against Melbourne and was unfairly dropped for Grundy in my view, Cox/Cameron should have come out based on form.

Hard to get a game when Grundy is in the side,tough ask for a project player ruck to also be competent enough forward of the ball too.

He is a prospect, speculative but a prospect based on his exposed form in VFL and AFL. The fact he was late to the game of AFL I would say hisceiling is high if his work ethic is right. I’d go in hard and ask for a late first rounder…he could be a spud but he could also be the next Witts. We traded a first rounder forthat dud from Brisbane and Jolly. Why not
To be honest, I'd be keeping Lynch unless there is a stupid offer on the table. Cox can go but we don't need to lose both IMO. If Grundy goes down, I can't see Cameron taking over the mantle, and if he does there goes our forward structure.

To be honest, I'd be keeping Lynch unless there is a stupid offer on the table. Cox can go but we don't need to lose both IMO. If Grundy goes down, I can't see Cameron taking over the mantle, and if he does there goes our forward structure.
What if someone (say Footscray) come knocking with an offer for Cameron. Yes he's in contract but if I was looking to top up my Ruck stocks he's teh one I'd be asking about.

Because he’s last 2 seasons have been really average. Some amazing patches in matches and some great quarters, but nothing in the realm of consistent let along that sort of $.
Not according to the stats, I did a game by game analysis for the Brownlow and he was stiff not to get more 3 point games and votes. He was injured as well. Granted he was severely down on 2019 form but he was still up there in terms of performance for his position. Given how poorly we performed across the board, and how shockingly difficult it must have been to remain focussed with the entire club in disarray he didn’t perform that badly. Either way I reckon a club would be positive they could turn that form slump around with a fresh start. I am positive with Macrae on board he’ll get back to his best again.

For arguments sake if he can get back to his best, why couldn’t we trade him for multiple first round picks?!

THE TOP 10 PLAYERS WHO WILL MAKE AN INSTANT IMPACT AT NEW CLUBS

3. Patrick Lipinski (Collingwood)

As a Dogs wingman, who played 73 per cent in that role this year, he’s just a handy player.

He was the sub for much of the year so, using another metric, his 19 possessions per 100 minutes is smack bang on the average for an AFL wingman.

But when looking at his potential, consider the four VFL games he played this year as an inside midfielder.

He averaged 156 ranking points, 35 touches, 13 contested possessions, seven clearances, 2.5 centre square clearances, 1.3 goals, 7.8 score involvements and 4.8 tackles.

There is no reason he can’t make an immediate splash with a top-five best-and-fairest finish next year, alongside Scott Pendlebury, Jordan De Goey, Taylor Adams and Steele Sidebottom as they give the young kids in Nick Daicos and Finlay Macrae some cover as they find their feet.

11. Nathan Kreuger (Collingwood)
Kreuger is a canny acquisition by the Pies, who will win his services despite the interest of St Kilda. The Cats swingman has played only a single AFL game in three years - two of them with few real VFL games.

But in his first VFL season, he showed he can be an aerial threat averaging eight marks, three intercept marks and seven intercept possessions.

He also pushed forward to kick six goals against Coburg in that season and wants to play forward, so will have a chance to join Brody Mihocek and Darcy Cameron as a marking target in a team crying out for more of them.

The state of the herald sun where a shitty reporter like Jon Ralph is doing football analysis.

The state of the herald sun where a shitty reporter like Jon Ralph is doing football analysis.
Did he just predict a top 5 B&F finish for Lipinski? Ahead of Crisp, De Goey, Moore, Grundy, Adams, Pendlebury, Elliott, Daicos (perhaps x2) and Maynard??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back