List Mgmt. Trade and Free Agency Discussion 2018 - Edition I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised we have not had a nibble at Lachie Neale. Definately wants out of Freo and he is probably in the top three players for clearances.
Bloke just does not get the recognition he deserves being so far away from it.

Would also be heavily into Will Brodie lovely big bodied ball winning player who is yet to hit his straps.

If the trades people are talking of come off (I doubt many of them will) we will get a lot of third round picks. Maybe we can do some packaging to trade picks to get a decent place in this draft.

But if we get rid of the players people are talking of it's a huge hunk of our list going (all marginal to winning a premiership though). I can't see such a major turnover. Trade/FA in Lynch and one other mid, plus three picks seems about right to me. Maybe 4 picks. Miles, Lloyd and CEllis going for more opportunity sounds about right. Wombat going for opportunity and as part of a larger trade makes sense. Conca makes no sense - cheap good first 22 depth player. With Griff anf Hammer that creates 6 empty list places - although Stengle is a rookie list I think.

Surprised we have not had a nibble at Lachie Neale. Definately wants out of Freo and he is probably in the top three players for clearances.
Bloke just does not get the recognition he deserves being so far away from it.

Would also be heavily into Will Brodie lovely big bodied ball winning player who is yet to hit his straps.
I'd have Neale in preference to Lynch. Exactly what we need. Gets the ball, gets the contested ball. But what would it cost? 1st rounders from this year and next?

FWIW my opinion on the players that are being discussed in the media.

Broad - whispers that he may request a move back home despite reportedly re-signing not long ago. Unlikely to leave.

Conca - 3-4 year deal from Fremantle on reasonable coin will be hard to ignore. Likely to leave.

B.Ellis - some random Twitter account says he toured North, which happened on Mad Monday if true. Unlikely to leave.

C.Ellis - strong link to Gold Coast. Makes sense as he'll get opportunity to play midfield. Gone with Miles

Lloyd - talk was the Dogs offered 3 years, rumour he declined the deal to stay with us. Likely to stay.

Miles - along with C.Ellis is heading to the Suns. Gone

Stengle - behind Rioli Butler Castagna Bolton in the pecking order. Crows keen as he would replace Betts. 3 year deal hard to pass up, likely to leave.

Townsend - some chat that he could be part of the Miles C.Ellis deal to the Suns. With Lynch coming opportunity will be limited. Good chance to establish himself back in an AFL midfield. Likely to leave if Suns offer 2 years.

Also my opinion on those still to be re-signed.

Chol - given talk that we're not chasing another ruckman expect Chol to get elevated to senior list

Drummond - unfortunately will get delisted after 3 injury riddled seasons. May get rookied

Eggmolesse-Smith - season ruined by injury. Re-rookied

Menadue - no real interest outside the club. Like Markov should be signed to another 2 years and continue to be groomed as a long term Houli replacement.

Moore - T71 reported North had interest. 50-50 on if he stays, needs to be elevated to remain at the club.

Based on that the changes to our list 12 months after a premiership would be:

Out - Conca Drummond C.Ellis Griffiths Hampson Miles Stengle Townsend Moore(rookie) Chol(rookie)

In - Lynch Moore(upgraded) Chol(upgraded) Crouch(rumoured interest) 3 draftees 3 rookies.

Basically 1/4 of the list would be turned over. Can't say we're standing still just expecting to stay up the top through natural development.

Yep. They remained, most likely in the hope they would come goo, I guess.
yea that was where our weakness was most def exposed, George is exhibit A , not only was he barely getting near it, his pressure was 2/3 of last years level, Jack G read the same , we were a lesser side as a result and it increases reliance on stars even further

If the trades people are talking of come off (I doubt many of them will) we will get a lot of third round picks. Maybe we can do some packaging to trade picks to get a decent place in this draft.

But if we get rid of the players people are talking of it's a huge hunk of our list going (all marginal to winning a premiership though). I can't see such a major turnover. Trade/FA in Lynch and one other mid, plus three picks seems about right to me. Maybe 4 picks. Miles, Lloyd and CEllis going for more opportunity sounds about right. Wombat going for opportunity and as part of a larger trade makes sense. Conca makes no sense - cheap good first 22 depth player. With Griff anf Hammer that creates 6 empty list places - although Stengle is a rookie list I think.
for the last three yrs the least amont of turnovers by any clubs is seven.
Lists perpetually evolve and need to. We are no different to other teams.. Taking junior players out of the equation id have no problem if seven or eight of 15 odd players was turned over.

As it is Hampson, Griffiths, Miles, Lloyd, C Ellis and Stengle are as good as gone it seems.Thats 6 players that contributed very little or nothing to our team this yr or even the yr before.

Players like B Ellis and Conca are liabilities and we need to recognise we are not going to be any better with these blokes in our side.

If we could get anything for any of those mentioned we should do it. 7 or 8 players turned over is very much the norm and needs to be done imo.

Thanks! I thought for a while that we would get a big fat zero for these players so was wondering how the hell we could fill our list. Happy to hear we may get something.

I wonder if Conca would say (even though Freo don't need to) to Freo that he wants the club to get something for his move - given we have stuck by him over the years and given him a spot on the list even when he possibly didn't deserve it at times. I understand we are getting Lynch but to lose someone like Conca who can get a senior game and who knows, may have improved next year given an injury free run.
We would have got a lot more for Conca had he decided to move a couple of years ago, because he is a restricted free agent now the AFL will decide on the compensation pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. I thought Shorts form dropped as soon as Houli returneed to the side but up til then Short was playing too good to drop so they squeezed them both in and it didn't work
Short will replace houli imo not menadue or markoff

Short needs to learn to defend first then attack as his defence game is very ordinary .Nothing to do with Houli his form dropping clubs worked him out make him accountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back