List Mgmt. Trade and Free Agency Discussion 2018 - Edition IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s nice following a club operating at the top of its game. Once upon a time we’d have been have been having a Crack at all these players but now it’s identify Lynch and get that done, not get involved in all the other shenanigans. The other thing too is our recruiters have been fantastic the last few years and I think we are happy to let them continue to build and improve our list at the draft rather than chase players for the sake of it.
Just feels calm and controlled and I like it.

Calm and controlled, as you put it, and Balme's arrival are a notable collision of timing. Whilst others have contributed across the breadth of the Club too, there is Before Balme and After Balme. The difference is quite striking.

In a decade we might be s**t again. We shouldn't be worried about that, our only concern should be if we have the cap space and can sign someone now without effecting our ability to re-sign our own players next year. Pick 17 may be a gun or might be a dud but Tom Scully is arguably the best wingman in the comp and would be a massive upgrade on what we currently have, if you can get him and there are no concerns regarding his ankle and he doesn't take a chunk out of our cap then we should take that deal as you're going to get anyone better with that pick.

One thing is clear from reading through the post today regarding Scully is he obviously did not play this year. If he had we would be asking who should be steak knifes alongside pick 17.

What Rodney said!

Overall, the trade period has been good.
We haven't lost any "star" players, and we have recruited one.
The good players want to stay.
They want to be part of a premiership journey.
The difficulty will be in 2-3 years when some of our champion leaders, like Rance and Riewoldt, are due to retire.
I am sure the football department is developing plans for a sensible succession.

The difficulty will be in 2-3 years when some of our champion leaders, like Rance and Riewoldt, are due to retire.
I am sure the football department is developing plans for a sensible succession.

2-3 years is a long time in footy, younger players will have stepped up by then.

Balta, B Miller, Garthwaite, Coleman-Jones … IMO these 4 kids have potential to be good key position players for us.

I still feel we need to recruit 1 more tall forward decent enough to develop that can help Lynch out in 4 years time

Alright campaigners, someone give me a TL:DR of the last 40 pages, I'm too frothed to catch up.

I'm aware that slightly taller Anthony Miles has been traded to Nørf, so hopefully you've all got that rubbish out of your system.
Someone give me a doozy!
Have we got Scully yet?
Hell I'd take Libba.
But for real Balmey, get your s**t in order and get Hopper in the yellow and black already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

s**t players being traded all over the place this year

doing absolutely nothing would probably win you this trade period, so getting lynch puts us way on top already
Trade s**t players for draft picks should be our plan and also trade out next yeats 1st for some draft picks this year would be ideal.

To me it feels like a lot of clubs are just seeing players pop up and saying “s**t let’s get that bloke!” Rather than identifying what they need and getting it.
Hawthorn perfect and Norf perfect example of this.
Both missed their targets and now going for whatever pops up.

Its already happened.
Lynch, Balta, CCJ and Miller.
If one of Moore and Chol come along as well as Garth and spine may be set for some time.

Tom Browne now claiming he broke the news last Monday on Scully seeking a trade to Victoria. He can't break big stories so has to take the credit from other people that have inside knowledge.

He is the biggest blagger in the media. Very few insiders will talk to him, so has to make up stories for headlines. (Lynch to Richmond for 1.4 million over 7 years being one example).

Earlier in the week he was saying that it was not possible for us to get Scully due salary cap issues. He is not counting the 500K that we saved on the Lynch deal.

Also claimed that Balmy laughed when he heard this rumour. Of course Balmy is not going to admit to meeting players. He is one of the best operators in the industry and will protect the confidentiality of players.

Last edited:
No chance I’m getting excited about the prospect of having to sacrifice Pick 17 for Tom Scully. Seriously, who on this board would hand back Jack Higgins for whatever was on offer for that exact price last year? We’re talking about the likes of Motlop, Rockliff, Gaz Jr, Schache etc who had that currency up against the Higgins selection.

When this year’s draft rolls around I would prefer the excitement associated with getting the next Higgins into the club, especially in what appears to be a fairly bulletproof draft this year. If anything I’d be doing whatever it takes to get more quality youth into the club while the culture is at its all-time peak.
You make a good point.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back