Strategy Trade and List management (Add your rumour to the simmering stew that is the post season. Edition.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, didn't we have first dibs on him in the 2012 mini draft, but had to give up picks 5 and 6 to do it?

The picks that landed Stringer and McCrae?

Would be ironic to get him in now.
Correct and clowns on here were keen to do it. Saying we'd blown a once in a generation player. Sorry....but what I've seen he's neat and handy but nothing special.
He ain't Cyril Rioli.

Gowers and Roarke staying on the rookie list was mine
Glad my source was wrong, he earnt that 2 year extension

Doesn't mean you were wrong. Things change all the time. May have been on track to stay on the list, but unexpected retirements and players moving on may have changed our list management strategy. Still rate your sources better than most on here for consistency

Doesn't mean you were wrong. Things change all the time. May have been on track to stay on the list, but unexpected retirements and players moving on may have changed our list management strategy. Still rate your sources better than most on here for consistency
Players can also move for nothing if they're offered a rookie spot by their current side and a main list spot by someone else. Maybe another club came sniffing around, you never know. Right decision to get him on the main list anyway.

Have we been linked to every delisted tall yet?

Can’t see us getting Shiel, Gaff a long shot. Would be hilarious if Kelly was prized out though, bet he can’t wait to exit that cesspit - come on Josh, you’re best mate’s already here, and captain in waiting...

You mean that Tim Walsh, Wade Skipper, Simon Cox, Daniel Bandy, Trent Bartlett, Jade Rawlings, Sean Wight, Kieran McGuiness- type player who will lead us to the promised land?

Simon Cox could play IMO. Slower than a herd of snails travelling through peanut butter, but could play.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that we're allowed to trade an out of contract player to a shitshow of a club against his will. Maybe pick 7 plus the Wallis compo instead.
Free agent out of contract player, yes that is my understanding

I don't know about that. Let's say we have 10 players go (including 3xRFA), 3 of the 10 spots go to our performing or promising rookies: Gowers, Lynch and R Smith. That leaves 7 spots. Draft could provide 4-5 spots + the 3 rookie upgrades. Gets interesting after that. And a lot of the new blood will be very young.

I got canned a while ago talking clearing out 13 player in one foul swoop. I've listened. It ain't that easy, no matter how pissed off at the time you are with goaless quarters and sub 50 point games.

Let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time there twas team with a talented core group of youngsters like ours. They even won a premiership ahead of their time like us and everyone thought they would be up there with the best of them for next few years. But lo and behold all of a sudden things started to go down hill soon after. They finished out of the eight the year after they won the premiership, the coach put it down to in part the shocking injury run they had. And than the following year, whilst they did managed to scrape into the finals, they were excommunicated rather convincingly in the first week. The coach saw this as a massive failure. He even admitted to the media that they didn't cut deep enough after they obtained the holy grail and so he started a full on massacre. 13 heads were brutally massacred in one foul off season and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. But it kind of worked. They brought in Sir Hale from the cesspool of Arden St and made it to within as stones throw of the holy grail. The following year, they massacred 10 more heads and were 10 points away from obtaining the holy grail. The year after that they massacred another 9, got the holy grail and continued to march on.

I kind of got off track a bit there, but the morale of the story is cutting deep is not as bad as some think it is. It worked for Hawthorn, they cut 13 players in one season and they cut 32 in 3 seasons in total. I feel like we were in a similar boat and now is the time to cut pretty deep. I hope Beveridge and Power start a massacre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time there twas team with a talented core group of youngsters like ours. They even won a premiership ahead of their time like us and everyone thought they would be up there with the best of them for next few years. But lo and behold all of a sudden things started to go down hill soon after. They finished out of the eight the year after they won the premiership, the coach put it down to in part the shocking injury run they had. And than the following year, whilst they did managed to scrape into the finals, they were excommunicated rather convincingly in the first week. The coach saw this as a massive failure. He even admitted to the media that they didn't cut deep enough after they obtained the holy grail and so he started a full on massacre. 13 heads were brutally massacred in one foul off season and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. But it kind of worked. They brought in Sir Hale from the cesspool of Arden St and made it to within as stones throw of the holy grail. The following year, they massacred 10 more heads and were 10 points away from obtaining the holy grail. The year after that they massacred another 9, got the holy grail and continued to march on.

I kind of got off track a bit there, but the morale of the story is cutting deep is not as bad as some think it is. It worked for Hawthorn, they cut 13 players in one season and they cut 32 in 3 seasons in total. I feel like we were in a similar boat and now is the time to cut pretty deep. I hope Beveridge and Power start a massacre.

Huge if true

The lack of linking players to our club doesnt worry me in the slightest. All last year schache was going to richmond to be Riewoldt and richos baby or Collingwood because they had no forwards, but its really just the media hyping up the clubs that get more clicks on AFL.com.

Never fear dogs fans, the movement on our list is not for nothing. Bevos words in his final conference are very telling for a man who doesnt give much away. "we want to bolster our list with experienced players." If I know anything about Bev its that means we arent ******* around.

The free agents are a bit of a worry but with the willingness the club has shown to trade guys like Griff, Higgins, Coon and stringer at the right times tells me the right decision will be made. Also the current players are very arguably not at the level the guys I mentioned were when we got rid of them. The loss might not be as great as it seems.

Time will tell though...

The lack of linking players to our club doesnt worry me in the slightest. All last year schache was going to richmond to be Riewoldt and richos baby or Collingwood because they had no forwards, but its really just the media hyping up the clubs that get more clicks on AFL.com.

Never fear dogs fans, the movement on our list is not for nothing. Bevos words in his final conference are very telling for a man who doesnt give much away. "we want to bolster our list with experienced players." If I know anything about Bev its that means we arent ******* around.

The free agents are a bit of a worry but with the willingness the club has shown to trade guys like Griff, Higgins, Coon and stringer at the right times tells me the right decision will be made. Also the current players are very arguably not at the level the guys I mentioned were when we got rid of them. The loss might not be as great as it seems.

Time will tell though...
Spot on, my thoughts exactly. Not only what he said in that presser and a couple before it but how he said it. There’s an air of confidence about him and his language has been consistent experience/bigger/stronger and as you rightfully pointed out from someone who keeps his cards close. Let’s hope there’s something brewing and it’s not just wishful thinking on our behalf.

I don't know about that. Let's say we have 10 players go (including 3xRFA), 3 of the 10 spots go to our performing or promising rookies: Gowers, Lynch and R Smith. That leaves 7 spots. Draft could provide 4-5 spots + the 3 rookie upgrades. Gets interesting after that. And a lot of the new blood will be very young.

I got canned a while ago talking clearing out 13 player in one foul swoop. I've listened. It ain't that easy, no matter how pissed off at the time you are with goaless quarters and sub 50 point games.

There is dozens of blokes around other leagues with a better chance in AfL.
What is they say , if you don't learn from history , you are condemned to making the same mistakes.
Honey ain't improving anytime soon !

You mean that Tim Walsh, Wade Skipper, Simon Cox, Daniel Bandy, Trent Bartlett, Jade Rawlings, Sean Wight, Kieran McGuiness- type player who will lead us to the promised land?

Time will tell though...

Schache was a Hail Mary desperate late call to cover up the Stringer debacle.

Griff and Higgins wanted out, Cooney was done and Jake was pushed out.

Sorry mate we can pretend we controlled all of what you say but we really didn’t.

Dahl leaves, Wally possibly leaves and we will do very little if history is a reliable source

Pfft. You reckon? I remember posters a few years back wanting to sell the farm to get him in the mini draft. Glad we didn't do that.
He's handy and that's about it.

As fronk says Zeph , he is about to enter his prime.
Walked into a shocking football club as a skinny kid.
Hugely talented , put in a decent program I think he will thrive.
By the way I was not in the camp that wanted to trade the 5 & 6 for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back