Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats assuming he is even gettable anyway. He may just want to stay as a one club player, although I do suspect him re-signing recently was more about restructuring his payrates to make it easier to trade him to another club.
Doesn't necessarily need to be Cyril, just a player that's ready to go in a position that we need. We'd need to give up something decent to get that though.

Doesn't necessarily need to be Cyril, just a player that's ready to go in a position that we need. We'd need to give up something decent to get that though.
Depends which Cyril we get as well. 2016 Cyril is worth a lot more than 2017 Cyril. Last thing we want is to cough up a first rounder and he is already over the cliff as a player. Few other players ahead of him in the q i'd offer up a first for though. We better be after Lever!

IIRC there are some are some high quality talls in the draft this year. IMO we should be finding a way to get into the top end of the draft to access a gun pure KPF (who likely won't play much for at least his first year).

Cloke is a stop gap, Redpath has had 3 knee reco's and is limited and Boyd...well whatever he becomes and whether he plays ruck or fwd, he will need support.

So unless a youngish gun tall forward becomes available I don't think we should be spending draft picks on guys like Cyril or Breust or Gaz.

IIRC there are some are some high quality talls in the draft this year. IMO we should be finding a way to get into the top end of the draft to access a gun pure KPF (who likely won't play much for at least his first year).

Cloke is a stop gap, Redpath has had 3 knee reco's and is limited and Boyd...well whatever he becomes and whether he plays ruck or fwd, he will need support.

So unless a youngish gun tall forward becomes available I don't think we should be spending draft picks on guys like Cyril or Breust or Gaz.
And then if he's not tearing the competition apart by his 4th year then people will say we should get rid of him and he's never going to be any good.

And then if he's not tearing the competition apart by his 4th year then people will say we should get rid of him and he's never going to be any good.
Most people will say let him develop and not put too much pressure
on him, but some will say give him seven years at a million a year.
Thankfully most (99.99 %) default to the first position and for the
last time this is not a slight on Tom as i would have signed in my
own blood if i was offered the same deal.

Most people will say let him develop and not put too much pressure
on him, but some will say give him seven years at a million a year.
Thankfully most (99.99 %) default to the first position and for the
last time this is not a slight on Tom as i would have signed in my
own blood if i was offered the same deal.

Personally wouldn't care if he never reached the giddy heights expected. Loved Time Lanes 'It's payday' in the GF for the long goal. End of argument for me!

Just for some perspective Ty Vickery is getting paid > $500 000 to play football even after everyone already knew for certain he was terrible.
Special Agent Vickery is now excelling in a similar role at Hawthorn, to the one he performed so admirably at Richmond. Single-handedly dragging down the entire playing list..... :p

Just for some perspective Ty Vickery is getting paid > $500 000 to play football even after everyone already knew for certain he was terrible.
And unlike Ty, Tom is very popular not only with his team mates but also more broadly within the club. Tom has fitted in much more readily than pretty much anyone thought he would (so I'm reliably informed.) Tom is very happy with the club and with his team mates, which I think maximises the likelihood we'll see the best possible version of Tom Boyd in future years.

The Boyd trade has worked out pretty well for us, despite the widespread scepticism at the time the deal was done. The Boyd/Griffen trade was the day that our club drew a line in the sand. It was ballsy, unorthodox and, ultimately, brilliant.

And unlike Ty, Tom is very popular not only with his team mates but also more broadly within the club. Tom has fitted in much more readily than pretty much anyone thought he would (so I'm reliably informed.) Tom is very happy with the club and with his team mates, which I think maximises the likelihood we'll see the best possible version of Tom Boyd in future years.

The Boyd trade has worked out pretty well for us, despite the widespread scepticism at the time the deal was done. The Boyd/Griffen trade was the day that our club drew a line in the sand. It was ballsy, unorthodox and, ultimately, brilliant.
if i was standing next to him on Grand Final day when he was controlling the air and socking goals on his left and from 55 i'd love the bloke

if i was standing next to him on Grand Final day when he was controlling the air and socking goals on his left and from 55 i'd love the bloke
Yep. Me too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is clearly the highest paid VFL player. Box Hill didn't like us winning the flag again, so they went all out to get their man. Not sure if it will help them but you do need to appreciate the effort they put in.

Not being a smartarse or anything, I'm genuinely interested - why wouldn't Tom readily fit in with the group? Was only one or two years off playing junior footy with many of them.

Obviously he's quite eloquent which can come across as aloof and we all remember the Giants' utterly pathetic campaign to portray him as an outcast, but I wasn't aware that the club was anticipating some teething problems.

Not being a smartarse or anything, I'm genuinely interested - why wouldn't Tom readily fit in with the group? Was only one or two years off playing junior footy with many of them.

Obviously he's quite eloquent which can come across as aloof and we all remember the Giants' utterly pathetic campaign to portray him as an outcast, but I wasn't aware that the club was anticipating some teething problems.
Tom didn't arrive at the club in the conventional manner - the circumstances were extraordinary and his contract was unheard of for a player so young. Additionally, Tom had been a dominant player with a massive profile during his junior years. The media and public scrutiny on Tom and the club as a whole was intense and relentless.

Despite all of this, I'm told Tom presented as a modest and very sociable and likeable young bloke who proceeded to nuckle down to focus on improving his footy, being a good team mate and having fun with his team mates. I've been told that the club could not have been more happy with Tom's attitude and ability to fit into the group seamlessly.

I don't know that the club was expecting anything in particular when Tom arrived, more so I was told that Tom mightily impressed pretty much everyone with how grounded and sociable he is.

ok not my info but i did hear at the footy so take with a grain of salt. GC have tabled an offer for us for Gaz where we pay all of his contract, for Webb and Roberts. now draft picks were mentioned but i couldn't hear what going where.

also heard that Adams will be done within 6 weeks.

thoughts ? or anyone hear anything about this?

ok not my info but i did hear at the footy so take with a grain of salt. GC have tabled an offer for us for Gaz where we pay all of his contract, for Webb and Roberts. now draft picks were mentioned but i couldn't hear what going where.

Adams signing a new contract?

And why the hell would we piss Roberts off? He's arguably one of our most crucial KPPs now considering how light on we are in that position and Moz nearly at the end. If he goes then someone like May comes in.

Why would we give away Roberts for an almost 33 year old player when he's playing well and we have barely any key defenders, with Morris near the end as well?

Doesn't sound logical to me. So it shall be taken with this aforementioned grain of salt.

Adams signing a new contract?

And why the hell would we piss Roberts off? He's arguably one of our most crucial KPPs now considering how light on we are in that position and Moz nearly at the end. If he goes then someone like May comes in.
My understanding was this is what GC want, not what we are willing to give up.

I suspect it's still very early in talks and for us to work out who else we want to bring in.

My understanding was this is what GC want, not what we are willing to give up.

I suspect it's still very early in talks and for us to work out who else we want to bring in.
Fair enough

If JJ goes for example then I'm not sure getting an almost over the hill Ablett is a good option, maybe only if Boyd and Murph retire for experience/cream on the cake but has to be the right price.

I'd also suspect we have much better list and draft currency than what Geelong would have also, perhaps GC would be more interested dealing with us than them as Geelong always drive a hard bargain but try to be "fair" about it. GC on the other hand always get max value for players they deem as required.

Not trying to shoot the messenger here, but I really hope we are not seriously looking into deals like this.

It shows we are shifting to a now focus, rather than a long term plan. We have holes in our list and players reaching the end of their careers. Spots will be opening up for people like Webb, so I'd rather keep them than have a catastrophic fall in a year or so when Morris, Murphy, Boyd and GAJ all leave. We won last year with a still developing list, so let's stick to the plan and reap the long term rewards. And that's before you look at including one of our few KPP's in the bargain.

This is one of the big reasons I'm quietly confident that the GWS dynasty won't actually occur. They've lost sight of the long term vision. In the next year or two, they'll lose Mumford, Shaw, Delidio, Griffen, Stevie J and replace them with ???? They've started trading future picks for these guys and the replacements won't be seasoned guys - they'll be young kids developing in a substandard league - as all the mid range guys are leaving for Carlton (mostly). If teams (us last year, perhaps us or Adelaide this year) can hold off for a year or two, GWS will drop back to the pack and then players will look again at leaving....

Personally wouldn't care if he never reached the giddy heights expected. Loved Time Lanes 'It's payday' in the GF for the long goal. End of argument for me!
I know many of us have this opinion and his GF heroics were undeniable but he still has to be a useful contributor in the 22 each week in the here and now. His marking shows little or no improvement and he seems unable to adjust his technique. Several times yesterday for example, he put one arm up to mark/ contest? when one on one with a shorter opponent. It will be interesting to see what happens if any multiple combination of Roughead, Cloke, Redpath, Crameri and Dickson can come back and play good football. Then Boyd's contribution to the team may face further examination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back