Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roberts is our #1 defender at the moment, and has been playing really well.

Any offers that come up regarding him should not be entertained, unless we get a rance in return.

Not trying to shoot the messenger here, but I really hope we are not seriously looking into deals like this.

It shows we are shifting to a now focus, rather than a long term plan. We have holes in our list and players reaching the end of their careers. Spots will be opening up for people like Webb, so I'd rather keep them than have a catastrophic fall in a year or so when Morris, Murphy, Boyd and GAJ all leave. We won last year with a still developing list, so let's stick to the plan and reap the long term rewards. And that's before you look at including one of our few KPP's in the bargain.

This is one of the big reasons I'm quietly confident that the GWS dynasty won't actually occur. They've lost sight of the long term vision. In the next year or two, they'll lose Mumford, Shaw, Delidio, Griffen, Stevie J and replace them with ???? They've started trading future picks for these guys and the replacements won't be seasoned guys - they'll be young kids developing in a substandard league - as all the mid range guys are leaving for Carlton (mostly). If teams (us last year, perhaps us or Adelaide this year) can hold off for a year or two, GWS will drop back to the pack and then players will look again at leaving....
Agree, what this says to me if true, is gaz to the dogs is very real, if you think about it Geelong will find it hard to get him, we would be the only other option if he was to play on.

Agree, what this says to me if true, is gaz to the dogs is very real, if you think about it Geelong will find it hard to get him, we would be the only other option if he was to play on.

I'd pass to be honest. He has lost his desire and his work ethic. I'd hate to pay something (both trade and salary wise) for someone who picks and chooses when he can be bothered to turn up. What if he didn't like Bevo 5 minutes after arriving, is he going to threaten to retire again ?

As exciting as the prospect of Gazza playing for us is, I'm not keen on him. Would cost us too much in terms of pay and trade assets to get it done.

Can we please douse any Ablett talk with fire and burn it? It's not happening. At all. Any "news" is people making stuff up. It's wasting time and breath by talking about it.

Can we please douse any Ablett talk with fire and burn it? It's not happening. At all. Any "news" is people making stuff up. It's wasting time and breath by talking about it.
Considering that the only person that has talked about it as a possibility is Tony Sheahan, perhaps we need to stop discussing it. Because we all know how reliable he is.

Considering that the only person that has talked about it as a possibility is Tony Sheahan, perhaps we need to stop discussing it. Because we all know how reliable he is.
Was his only "moment" breaking the buddy to Swans news?

Retain Adams & JJ, then go after Goldstein or Kreuzer with the prospect of taking a pay cut for the chance of a flag.

Just my 2c for this season before going back to browsing this thread only

We shouldn't go for Ablett unless no one for certain would be pushed out by a deal being made. But wow, the greatest player of the last decade and one of the greatest of all time in a dogs jumper? Man that would look good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully our days of being a destination club for superannuation top ups are gone. I want trades for players that 1) fit our age profile 2) strengthen any weakness ( depth or otherwise). 3) are not going to pressure on our salary cap and 4) can see what we are all about and want to be part of it. Otherwise.... stick to the draft because we do that so well.

Assuming an Indigenous footy player is from Perth is understandable, given the history! http://www.smh.com.au/interactive/2016/the-noongar-warriors/

1/3rd of Indigenous players! for the overall community there that has to be one of the highest number of athletes per head of population ever. Very impressive.

The Noongar peoples (and from what I hear particularly the Whadjuk) are prolific.
AFLPA171-Indigenous-Player-Map-Update-2014_LR_V5-e1401341325510-760x438.jpg

Great map.

Franklin and the two individual blokes there in the bottom left that belong to individual communities actually come out of the same major group with the large number of guys there (whadjuk is actually whadjuk-noongar). Like the Kulin nation in Victoria.

News just in : Sam Reid of the Swans is very gettable. Maybe a smudge over $500k a season will get it done. Apparently Tigers keen, maybe as a backup to Schache plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back