Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hrovat and Higgins in the best in today's practice match.
They will be watching our VFL team closely to see if they can lure more of our fringe players.
Apparently their hashtag is #BeAShinboner too.

Now who's copying who?

In all seriousness pleased to see Hrovat play well, he's a baller. Just wasn't getting his chance here.

Trengrove (PA). Not sure else is still not signed.
That it? That isn't promising at all.

To this day, I don't think many people realize just how good Hamling was for us late last year, and I don't think Adams will ever be able to replicate the quality of football he brought, even if his style of play stands out more. Hurley would've been really handy to snare, but it wasn't to be.

Billings will be a gun but I compare him more to Toby McLean than Higgins.
Billings has far less FIGJAM about him than Higgins.

Good write in the little paper today about how many top 5 and top 20 picks each club has. GWS has the most, no surprise. Dogs have second least. Won the flag anyway, astute list management.

This is quite amazing really. I think the most most important aspect of our list has been rookie development, especially when you look at how important these players were in the finals series:

M.Boyd
Morris
Dahlhaus
Johannisen
Picken

This is quite amazing really. I think the most most important aspect of our list has been rookie development, especially when you look at how important these players were in the finals series:

M.Boyd
Morris
Dahlhaus
Johannisen
Picken
Biggs is a former rookie (Sydney rookie list) as well as Suckling and Crameri who missed out, BTC, and Roberts was a PSD pick after the main draft.

M.Boyd
Morris
Dahlhaus
Johannisen
Picken
Spot on Libba
Add to this list
Pick 46 Daniel
Pick 26 Dunkley
Pick 31 Roughy
You have a hungry balanced list with an open window for further success.

Spot on Libba
Add to this list
Pick 46 Daniel
Pick 26 Dunkley
Pick 31 Roughy
You have a hungry balanced list with an open window for further success.
This made me interested, so for GWS the picks that are 25 or later that are worth mentioning are:

Rory Lobb (pick 29), Zac Williams (rookie pick 54), Sam Frost (rookie pick 1, now at Melbourne).

That's it. Every other player worth mentioning is before 20, or from another club. It's disgusting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This made me interested, so for GWS the picks that are 25 or later that are worth mentioning are:

Rory Lobb (pick 29), Zac Williams (rookie pick 54), Sam Frost (rookie pick 1, now at Melbourne).

That's it. Every other player worth mentioning is before 20, or from another club. It's disgusting.

What's
More disgusting is that they've burned more first rd picks than we would have had in the last decade.

But at least GWS have something to show for the silver spoon feeding they've been given.

What have Gold Coast got to show? Yes I know GWS academy is better, yes I know they've probably had more high picks but still, Jesus, when are the Suns gonna break out of the bottom if the barrel, because so far, the best they've achieved is finishing 11th.

M.Boyd
Morris
Dahlhaus
Johannisen
Picken
Sydney rookies in the grand final.
Shane Biggs (Dogs)
Tom Papley
Dane Rampe
Jake Lloyd
Xavier Richards
Sam Naismith
Nick Smith
Keiran Jack
Heath Grundy

Two more rookies Marsh and Cunningham were emergencies.

Regular battle of the rookies.

Anyone else think Blicavs or Stanley might be on the market at the end of the year? This new third man rule has kind of ****ed Geelong over. Smith is a clear #1 and the other two IMO won't really fit in well now that they can't tag team ruckmen.

Unless they play Stanley at CHF or just use Blicavs tank purely as a winger I won't be shocked if they move one of them on.

Sydney rookies in the grand final.
Shane Biggs (Dogs)
Tom Papley
Dane Rampe
Jake Lloyd
Xavier Richards
Sam Naismith
Nick Smith
Keiran Jack
Heath Grundy

Two more rookies Marsh and Cunningham were emergencies.

Regular battle of the rookies.

It's all about making the most of what you have. Swans have never really bottomed out while we bottomed out in an era of compromised drafts.

Anyone else think Blicavs or Stanley might be on the market at the end of the year? This new third man rule has kind of ****** Geelong over. Smith is a clear #1 and the other two IMO won't really fit in well now that they can't tag team ruckmen.

Unless they play Stanley at CHF or just use Blicavs tank purely as a winger I won't be shocked if they move one of them on.

Sadly Stanley is s**t and Blicavs doesn't have many tricks if he can't go third man up because of how hopeless he is when the ball is on the deck.

Sadly Stanley is s**t and Blicavs doesn't have many tricks if he can't go third man up because of how hopeless he is when the ball is on the deck.
I reckon they'd get a first rounder for Blicavs if he was put on the market. Pick 12-16ish.

I reckon they'd get a first rounder for Blicavs if he was put on the market. Pick 12-16ish.
I don't think so. There couldnt be any more harmful period to Blicavs' value than that Prelim and then followed by a ban on 3rd man up.

He's a good tackler for a big guy but thats more of an expectation in the midfield than a strength these days.

Blicavs' primary issue is that he's a tweener - his ground work is great for a ruckman but nothing special for a mid, while his ruck work is great for a mid but not competitive enough for a ruckman.

Unpopular one but he's a hybrid key/running defender for mine, the obsession with his running has seen them push too hard on the midfield angle and ignore the positive signs he showed there throughout his development.

I actually see him a little similar to Tomlinson, who started out as a key defender, was trialled in a bunch of different positions because of his athletic attributes, then settled back into defence and has carved out a nice little role for himself.

I'd love to see how blokes like O'Rourke and Plowman would have developed if they were drafted by us instead of wasting away up there. It's almost a career killer getting drafted up there now unless you're a Kelly or Toranto type.

Going to be interesting to see how Settlefield and Perryman go from last years draft. Settlefield in particular would just about be a starting midfielder in most teams.

I'd love to see how blokes like O'Rourke and Plowman would have developed if they were drafted by us instead of wasting away up there. It's almost a career killer getting drafted up there now unless you're a Kelly or Toranto type.

Going to be interesting to see how Settlefield and Perryman go from last years draft. Settlefield in particular would just about be a starting midfielder in most teams.

I want us to chase Setterfield. Yes I know he is another midfielder but quality is there. After 2 years of not getting regular games, he will likely move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back