Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Setterfield can't scrape games together he's not going to cost an arm and a leg.

Think we're past the Giants swindling teams out of top picks for depth players who have only experienced senior footy in the country's worst second tier comp.

If Setterfield can't scrape games together he's not going to cost an arm and a leg.

Think we're past the Giants swindling teams out of top picks for depth players who have only experienced senior footy in the country's worst second tier comp.
Yep, you look at their trading last year, and apart from McCarthy (who Freo grossly overpaid just quietly) they traded out guys like WHE (pick 4) for a 2nd round pick, Ahern (pick 7) for pick 69 and Marchbank (pick 6) for a bunch of 2nd/3rd round selections.

Anyone else think Blicavs or Stanley might be on the market at the end of the year? This new third man rule has kind of ****** Geelong over. Smith is a clear #1 and the other two IMO won't really fit in well now that they can't tag team ruckmen.

Unless they play Stanley at CHF or just use Blicavs tank purely as a winger I won't be shocked if they move one of them on.
I'm absolutely devastated to see Geelong getting ****ed over. Breaks my heart.

For somebody who has never paid close attention to Blicavs, what's so good about him?
Elite runner.
Not just for his size, but elite runner full stop. Think a taller Cheesy Barlow with some ruck ability.

Anyone else think Blicavs or Stanley might be on the market at the end of the year? This new third man rule has kind of ****** Geelong over. Smith is a clear #1 and the other two IMO won't really fit in well now that they can't tag team ruckmen.
Rhys Stanley is a classic case of not quite good enough in any position - I'd have our three rucks as better than him both in the ruck and resting forward and TBH I'd prefer Redpath to him too everywhere on the ground.

Then of course we have the Bront

Pretty crazy that this is our player under 25. 14 premiership players.

008X1SN.png

Pretty crazy that this is our player under 25. 14 premiership players.

008X1SN.png
If we are counting VFL Flags, we are stacked with premiership players
Which we will have 19 players that are premiership players

Still got another transition period to weather sooner rather than later imo. Impending retirements of moyd, moz and Murph, three important players. Will be keen to see how the list management tackle this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blicavs' primary issue is that he's a tweener - his ground work is great for a ruckman but nothing special for a mid, while his ruck work is great for a mid but not competitive enough for a ruckman.

Unpopular one but he's a hybrid key/running defender for mine, the obsession with his running has seen them push too hard on the midfield angle and ignore the positive signs he showed there throughout his development.

I actually see him a little similar to Tomlinson, who started out as a key defender, was trialled in a bunch of different positions because of his athletic attributes, then settled back into defence and has carved out a nice little role for himself.

If he can improve his disposal I think you're absolutely right. Could play smallish and tallish, like having a fourth tall at the back but also a good running half back.

But he might just be a bit too vanilla at everything to really make it as a good player.

Still got another transition period to weather sooner rather than later imo. Impending retirements of moyd, moz and Murph, three important players. Will be keen to see how the list management tackle this.
Cordy comes in for Morris. Williams comes in for Murphy. Webb comes in for Boyd. Enjoy the vets while they're still playing but the future is in decent hands.

Cordy comes in for Morris. Williams comes in for Murphy. Webb comes in for Boyd. Enjoy the vets while they're still playing but the future is in decent hands.

I think if Webb is going to survive at AFL level it is as a half-back. Perfectly skilled for that position, just can't see him cutting it as a midfielder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think if Webb is going to survive at AFL level it is as a half-back. Perfectly skilled for that position, just can't see him cutting it as a midfielder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Tend to agree. He appears to lack leg speed at senior level. Not so noticeable at VFL level where the pace is less. His challenge will be to push himself up the the long queue for prospective half back flankers.

It's going to be very tough for young Spider. His biggest weapon is his kicking and if he can get enough footy as a mid to use it he could be a damaging player. It's just so difficult to get a game in our midfield, I can't see how developing that way will get him a call up. But as DnB said there's a long queue for a gig as a HBF. Might be one who wants out to get a game ala Rat, Koby.

Bailey Williams is one we can't let get away, the bloke's got AA grade potential. He doesn't turn 20 until October.

Is there a new report out about JJ being close to re-signing??
Report on 9 news.

Stated that he wants to be a one club player and to continue to live in Melbourne. Close to signing a new deal.

They probabley sound like the usual cliches but if you watch the report it was delivered emphatically.

JJ is staying. Another Tom Boyd casualty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back