Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironically, I rate Richmond's trade period at about their usual spot, 9th.

Deledio out, Prestia, Nankervis and Caddy in, and no first round draft pick?

Anyone claiming they won that trade week is clearly delusional, or a Richmond supporter. Quite often one and the same.

Agreed, Nankervis is a swap for Vickery, while neither Caddy or Prestia are as good as Deledio. Yarran may help them but I still don't see them making the 8.

There is a chance that next year may be Picken's last year. He mentioned to a mate this year that this is likely his last contract before moving onto life after football.

Not sure if his final series changes this. It was said mid season

No idea if Pies pulled the deal or not, but if the papers say it, it must be true according to a certain poster.
I find it staggering that anyone would even think let alone try and convince others that a player who we just re signed and who if not for injury would now be a premiership player was not only having contract offers pulled but also suggesting not one other single club in the entire league had any interest in him at all.

There is a chance that next year may be Picken's last year. He mentioned to a mate this year that this is likely his last contract before moving onto life after football.

You'd have to think he would be more likely to go around again than before the finals. But also there is a full year between now and a likely decision.

I find it staggering that anyone would even think let alone try and convince others that a player who we just re signed and who if not for injury would now be a premiership player was not only having contract offers pulled but also suggesting not one other single club in the entire league had any interest in him at all.
Jong had many clubs interested.

He improved a hell of a lot this year and all indications are if he keeps on with all the hard work, he can improve even more.
That's why he was offered 2 years and not one.

Some of the rubbish that's been written on here is laughable.
Jong came into the side in Round 3 this year after 2 strong wins , with Murphy, Suckling, Wallis and Adams still in the side ( midfield was strong until later in the year until we lost Dal, Libba and Jack and Lin was in the side when they went down).
Any suggestion Lin only played when we were decimated by injury is totally wrong.

Surely we get him to 200 games

Oh Jong again...... Surprising

Then tomorrow someone will bring up we should've went hard at Deledio to land him and should've went harder to clinch Hurley months ago

Then Tuesday someone will bring up poor compensation for Stevens and Hrovat and call out Hrovat for not leaving last year for 2 2nds

Come Wednesday we will be back talking about Jong and so goes the circle of this thread....

Jong had many clubs interested.

He improved a hell of a lot this year and all indications are if he keeps on with all the hard work, he can improve even more.
That's why he was offered 2 years and not one.

Some of the rubbish that's been written on here is laughable.
Jong came into the side in Round 3 this year after 2 strong wins , with Murphy, Suckling, Wallis and Adams still in the side ( midfield was strong until later in the year until we lost Dal, Libba and Jack and Lin was in the side when they went down).
Any suggestion Lin only played when we were decimated by injury is totally wrong.

Sorry but this is rubbish.

Cold, hard facts are that in the MC's eyes and relative to the rest of the list Jong went backwards this year. Jong finished 16th in last years B and F. He finished 27th this year - a year where he had less injuries.

The above would be a key reason why we didn't match the market by offering Jong a three year deal. We offered him a two year deal which was below Jong's market value as assessed by other clubs.

And if Jong was best 22 he'd have played in the most important game of the year - especially after being BOG in the twos the week before. With a fitter list, Jong will slip back further in the pecking order next year as the likes of Wallis, Cloke, Murphy, Redpath, Crameri, Williams, Dale, Suckling, Campbell, new draftees, etc all compete with Jong for best 22 in addition to the GF 21 we've retained.

I don't understand why folks insist on talking Jong up beyond the ok depth player that he is. I won't disrespect Jong by calling him a potato but IMO along with Roberts, Jong is the only player on our list capable of playing poorly enough to almost single handedly cost us a game.

The sooner Jong's senior game time can be reduced the better IMO. Hopefully next year Jong's opportunities will be even more limited and he looks elsewhere in October next year.

Cold, hard facts are that in the MC's eyes and relative to the rest of the list Jong went backwards this year. Jong finished 16th in last years B and F. He finished 27th this year - a year where he had less injuries.

The above would be a key reason why we didn't match the market by offering Jong a three year deal. We offered him a two year deal which was below Jong's market value as assessed by other clubs.

And if Jong was best 22 he'd have played in the most important game of the year - especially after being BOG in the twos the week before. With a fitter list, Jong will slip back further in the pecking order next year as the likes of Wallis, Cloke, Murphy, Redpath, Crameri, Williams, Dale, Suckling, Campbell, new draftees, etc all compete with Jong for best 22 in addition to the GF 21 we've retained.

I don't understand why folks insist on talking Jong up beyond the ok depth player that he is. I won't disrespect Jong by calling him a potato but IMO along with Roberts, Jong is the only player on our list capable of playing poorly enough to almost single handedly cost us a game.

The sooner Jong's senior game time can be reduced the better IMO. Hopefully next year Jong's opportunities will be even more limited and he looks elsewhere in October next year.
I think if Lin Jong got a longer offer at more money to go to the Gold
Coast he should have taken it. With Gary Ablett nearing the end in
playing terms Lin Jong is a perfect like for like swap and thinking of a
team containing the explosive Lin Jong and Jarrad Grant keeps me
awake and in a constant state of fear.:oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If your theory is right and not rubbish than we have made a huge mistake and should have not signed him and gotten whatever trade we could have for him.

If your theory is right and not rubbish than we have made a huge mistake and should have not signed him and gotten whatever trade we could have for him.

This is not a theory according to BRWB's post these "Cold, hard facts are that in the MC's eyes and relative to the rest of the list Jong went backwards this year".
I always wonder why people don't disclose who they spoke with on the MC to be informed of these cold hard facts.

BINGO!!!!!!!!

Look everyone is entitled to their opinion and MD and BRWB are entitled to theirs as well.

But it seems that Bevo's opinion seems to be more closely aligned to the more positive opinions on this board regarding Lin, otherwise no 2 year contract.

I'm happy to back Bevo and the list management team on this one, seeing they have overseen the list build that has delivered us the Holy Grail .

Look everyone is entitled to their opinion and MD and BRWB are entitled to theirs as well.

But it seems that Bevo's opinion seems to be more closely aligned to the more positive opinions on this board regarding Lin, otherwise no 2 year contract.

I'm happy to back Bevo and the list management team on this one, seeing they have overseen the list build that has delivered us the Holy Grail .
Largely agree with this, but signing Hamilton & Prudden makes we worry we're operating one or two spots short with some "good bloke" wiggle room for guys who seem behind the 8 ball to play more than a handful of games, ever.

This is not a theory according to BRWB's post these "Cold, hard facts are that in the MC's eyes and relative to the rest of the list Jong went backwards this year".
I always wonder why people don't disclose who they spoke with on the MC to be informed of these cold hard facts.

Seriously WTF? I've just looked at the b and F finishes as guides to how the club rates a player. You don't need to speak to anyone to see Jong finished 16th last year and 27th this year. Why you would even suggest otherwise has me puzzled.

I don't see how you can conclude anything other than Bev rates Jong about 27th on our list based on the B and F - and that in a year where we had players dropping like flies (and where Jong missed relatively few games due to injury).

And that we didn't increase our offer to match what the market was offering Jong says to me the list team weren't that fussed if Jong left.

But as you say, people are welcome to their opinions.

Whenever i see a notification about this thread i get a bit of hope then realize its the same stuff over and over again

Sorry mate but sometimes it can be a little irritating to have your opinion called rubbish and laughable when basic logic says otherwise.

But as you suggest I'll move on, and perhaps leave you to your outrageously funny and non-repetitive Nahas jokes. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back